medieval banquet like a Luau?

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:41 PM
dfo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
medieval banquet like a Luau?

Is the medieval banquet in London and at Hatfield House similar to a Luau in Hawaii -- you are ushered in like cattle, bad food, watered down drinks, bad show, very cheesy, and costly?????
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM

I don't know about the one at Hatfield House, but the medieval banquet we went to in London some years back was a whole lot of fun, perhaps because it was held on Christmas Eve. The food was fine, there was a very good singer and lute pair, and the mead was delicious.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:55 PM

Enjoy the luau you went to, did you?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM

Have not been to one but we had friends who were conned into it and the short answer is yes!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM

I went to one years ago, had fun kind of, but would not repeat the evening.

It is a tourist experience. Not cheap. The food I had was fine, not great or particularly authentic. Ditto for the history...it's meant to be entertaining....and it was.

My experience wasn't at Hatfield House but I've heard that one is a cut about some of the others.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 05:40 PM

We've been to the one at Hatfield House (www.theoldpalace.co.uk) and at Warwick Castle. We enjoyed both, but if you didn't enjoy the luau, you might view the medieval dinners in the same light.

They serve unlimited mead and wine, I don't know if they serve drinks - everyone was drinking the wine. Food at both was good and entertainment was what was typical in the 14th and 15th century (musicians, jesters, bawdy jokes, etc...)

There is one banquet in London - around St. Katherine's Dock, that hasn't gotten that good of reviews. If you're going to spend the money, I'd go to Hatfield.