Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Medications/Do I REALLY need to get the prescription from my Dr.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Paris in a few days. I thought all my questions were answered but here's another one I have. I take prescription meds for blood pressure, arthritis pain and Valium/Xanax for the flight. Is it enough to take the bottles with my name on the label or do I really need the actual prescription from the Doctor as I have read <BR>elsewhere? How do you take your meds along without carrying all the bulky bottles? Thanks. Susan
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM

I just had the bottles with the lable on them and I was fine. At both LAX and CDG, my bags were checked and they did pull out the prescriptions. I had all 4 bottles together in one big ziploc bag, so they just pulled the ziploc bag out and held it up and looked at the bottles, they never unzipped the ziploc. I guess they felt comfortable that they could see the bottles with the lables that had my name on them.<BR><BR>I would NOT take the meds out of the bottle, personally, but that's just me. <BR><BR>Not sure what you &quot;officially&quot; must have, but I didn't take original written prescriptions. Good luck!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Susan,<BR><BR>You will probably be OK with just the bottles, but I wouldn't risk it - besides, I imagine that the prescription slip also has your doctor's contact info, which could be very helpful in case of an emergency or simply if the pharmacist is having trouble figuring out which medicine he should give you - brand names sometimes vary between Europe and the US for the same substance.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Sorry, thought you wanted to purchase medicine in France. Can't imagine you would need to show a prescription at customs unless you were importing a suitcase full of pills ;-)<BR><BR>In any event, you may want to look into buying some meds in France - they're often much more reasonable than in the US.<BR><BR>Andre
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to have a couple of shots a week (not just of alcohol, but real medication). I had to pack the med in an icebag. We never were asked for prescription, but I had it, just in case. In this day and age, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 12:57 PM
jor

I travel with meds. If your bottle labels have all the info about the pharmacy, phone no., doctor, etc. you do not need to bring papers from your doctor or pharmasist. They can varify the info from the label and your passport.<BR><BR>Big Suggestion: NEVER travel with all of your meds in one piece of luggage only. ALWAYS carry an equal amount on your person, and in a separate piece of luggage.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for such great information and quick responses. It gives me great relief that I only have to take the bottles. Bon Voyage!
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:36 AM
hdw

I would highly recommend getting a prescription from your physician. The reason for getting a prescription from your MD is to have him/her prescribe using the chemical name not the trade name. You would carry these scripts in order to make it easier to replace your medication while overseas (more likely that they can reference the chemical name). I think it would be especially important for medications you need to survive. Even though your MDs name and number are on the prescription bottle it may be difficult to find him/her due to the time difference not to mention the difficulties with the languages.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:44 AM

To answer the OP's question, &quot;How do you take your meds along without carrying all the bulky bottles?&quot; When you get your presecription filled, you can ask your pharmacist for a second smaller bottle, complete with label, that will hold just enough for your trip (plus a couple of days, just in case)..
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:56 PM

We always just put all of our meds in an old film canister so they're all mixed up (we know what's what) and have never had a problem anywhere in western or eastern Europe or with US customs. Is there anyone who has actually had a problem and been challenged about prescription medication that is not in its designated container?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:07 PM

julies: You are being very reckless taking your meds out of their original, labled containers.<BR><BR>Not just because each country has different rules about controlled drugs. Not being able to prove what is what and that you have a legal prescription could get you put in jail - no joke. It doesn't happen often - but it only takes once. And some countries are VERY strict.<BR><BR>But more likely - if you have a medical emergency you must have the original labels so the doctors/hospital staff know what they are dealing with.<BR><BR>travling: the original lables is sufficient. But it is still a good idea to take prescriptions in case you lose your meds or are delayed and have to re-fill while overseas.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:43 PM

I'm with julies. We don't have any &quot;serious&quot; medications that we must take, so the medical considerations are not relevant for us. But I will have a couple of Ambien with me and sometimes (depending on where I'm going) I take a broad-spectrum antibiotic. In addition I have a variety of over-the-counter meds, none of which are in their original bottles. I've never had a problem anywhere (Europe, Asia, Mexico) -- never even been questioned about my pills or had anyone give them a second look. Does anyone actually have a first-hand horror story?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:41 AM

No horror stories here and have never heard any either. I also have always combined our medications in one bottle to save space. The only medication I make a point to have in its original bottle in a migraine medication containing codeine.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:10 AM

A couple of peole have accurately noted that the trade names for drugs may vary between the states and Europe. [who knows what Zocor means in Estonian?] A number of years ago I left my prescription in a Spanish hotel. While I had a back up supply for a few days, it wasn't enough for my entire trip. I also had the reorder form that came with my shipment from the mail order pharmacy. On a Sunday, I went to hospital in Santiago de Campostela, explained my problem, and showed the reorder slip. Large books were pulled and pored through to check for the Spanish equivalent. It was not clear what was the exact replacement. The doctor then called the local manufacturer's rep at home to check. Wasn't sure. Said he would call Madrid on Monday morn to check. About 1000 on Monday morning, the local drug rep, without be asked, brought to my hotel a supply of the correct replacement sufficient for the rest of my trip. Is Spain a great country or what?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Part of the issue here is what type of medications you are taking, and what area you are traveling to. If I were taking controlled substances or heavy duty psych meds I'd probably be a little more concerned about being able to legitimatize the prescription source. Frankly, I don't think blood pressure and allergy medications with a couple of ambiens (contents of our film canister of pills) is going to cause a great flap. And, yes, I am aware that a customs agent or whomever is not going to be able to discern what is what at a glance in a bottle of mixed up pills. But, if you are really really suspected of some kind of drug offense, they are going to verify the contents of your bottles anyway and not just accept the fact that they are in a labeled bottle. I am also assuming that most places are just like the US in having books that have colored photos of the various medications. This is a quick way to identify all the most commonly used medications.<BR><BR>Once again, is there anyone who has actually been stopped and questioned about their medications? I'd really like to know.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Jules,<BR><BR>Film canisters are not a food grade plastic. You shouldn't put anything in a film canister you plan to eat. If you feel the need to move your medicine from the original containers, please use a container made of a food-grade plastic. Tupperware, Rubbermaid, etc. make small containers.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I always carry my pills (an assortment of vitamins and heart meds) in Ziplock bags marked by day and have never been questioned in over 20 trips abroad.<BR><BR>I also take a printout from my mail-in pharmacy. It worked like a charm when I was in Paris without meds. I just showed the list to the gal at the pharmacy and she easily found the equivalents. I assume the list might also help validate my baggies if I ever were questioned.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:57 AM

We have taken medication on each of our trips to Europe, always in their original containers and without prescriptions. We have never had a problem.<BR><BR>I'm not a pharmacist, but it is my understanding and I would strongly advise against mixing medications in the same container to save space. They should be stored or carried in the containers they originally came in. Changing containers or mixing different types of pills can change their effectiveness and have serious safety consequences! <BR><BR>Hopefully, someone in the medical profession can confirm this.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:02 AM
jor

julies, I absolutely agree with one of the above posters that your advise is reckless. Some people could die if their meds were taken by customs, and you had to prove what they are, who prescibed them, and that they are prescribed to you. It all takes extra valuable time. Perhaps days in some cases.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Kay

I take all my medications in their original containers and carry them on. I never put them in checked luggage in case it doesn't arrive when I do.I also take more than is required for the length of my trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -