Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Measuring carry-on under the new rules? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/measuring-carry-on-under-the-new-rules-691849/)

MareW Mar 28th, 2007 08:42 AM

Measuring carry-on under the new rules?

I bought a Delsey Helium Lite 21" suitcase for our May trip to France. I read somewhere that British Airways is now including the handle in the measurement. Is that true of other countries as well? This suitcase meets AF's measurement guidelines if I include the wheels, but not the handle.

Christina Mar 28th, 2007 09:05 AM

I thought the handle was always supposed to be included. Air France includes the handle, and says so on their webpages under baggage limits, if you want to look.

Dukey Mar 28th, 2007 09:07 AM

FWIW, last Fall when we were returning from Heathrow (on BA) the person next to us doing bag drop had a carry-on which the check in agent thought might be oversized.

He asked the passenger to put it into the sizer box and it fit. I think the handle was sticking out but that didn't seem to matter.

I wish I could offer more but I do believe the <b>airline</b> enforcement of some of these size restrictions varies from day to day and agent to agent.

Enforcement at Security, however, might be something else again.

JackOneill Mar 28th, 2007 09:37 AM

Also be aware that different airlines have different size requirements. (Yes, I know you're asking about Air France, but I thought I'd mention it. Some airlines are more restrictive so when I go to buy a new suitcase I also try to get a size that would satisfy THE most restrictive of the airlines I fly.)

JackOneill Mar 28th, 2007 09:38 AM

Oopps. I meant to say British Airways NOT Air France.

MareW Mar 28th, 2007 09:43 AM

Thanks. I hadn't experience anyone counting the handle in the past, but I can well believe it depends on who the agent is. I measured the handle, and it is 2.5 inches high. That would mean my suitcase, which is 21.6 with wheels, is now a 24.1&quot; suitcase? I guess it isn't worth keeping then.

But then, wouldn't that make most typical carry-on bags worthless?

MareW Mar 28th, 2007 09:51 AM

I checked the Air France site before I first posted and again just now, and I can't find anything about the handle counting. Do you know where you saw that, Christina? Thanks.

Christina Mar 28th, 2007 09:53 AM

I think it would mean a typical carryon bag would be about a 20 inch roller, that's all. That has been their standards for quite some time, I think, I remember reading them a long time ago (that it includes the handle). That is a pretty big handle, though, I have a 12&quot; and I don't think its is that big as it's not all one structured piece (kind of folds down). Sometimes you can get things by them, as they don't force everyone to stick their bag in that thing, but if a flight is very full, they may. AF doesn't usually fool around a lot letting people lug on a lot of excess baggage, as far as I've noticed. Most people don't try that any more, and check bags on long-haul flights.

missypie Mar 28th, 2007 10:08 AM

A couple of weeks ago we observed this at Heathrow: A lady had an overstuffed 22&quot; bag. It was both too long and too wide. She was making connections from another airline. She was able to take things out, so that the bag was not too wide. But then they made her put it into the sizer box. Because of the wheels and handle, it was able to sort of squeeze in at the top, but not go all the way down. Passenger: It fits. Security guy: It must fit COMFORTABLY. They went back and forth for about 8 minutes. She wanted a screw driver to try to take off the wheels. He wanted her to check the bag. He eventually did let her through, but it was quite a delay and quite a scene.

Christina Mar 28th, 2007 02:10 PM

It's in the Air France site under -- Information and Services from the top bar, then &quot;Practical Information&quot;, then &quot;Baggage&quot; subheading under that, and then you can go to &quot;hand baggage&quot; or whatever.

This is what it says under hand baggage:

&lt;&lt;Cabin baggage or hand baggage refers to any other type of baggage that is not checked into the hold.
You may transport:
- In the Tempo cabin:
1 piece of baggage (measuring a maxi of 55 cm, 35 cm, 25 cm *) including a garment bag
+ 1 accessory (examples: handbag, laptop computer, camera, etc.)
weighing a total of 12 kg.

- In the lŽEspace cabin:
1 piece of baggage (measuring a maxi of 55 cm, 35 cm, 25 cm maxi*)
+ 1 smaller-sized item
+ 1 accessory (examples: handbag, laptop computer, camera, etc.)
weighing a total of 18 kg.

* Size of baggage, wheels and handles included, must not exceed:
55 cm in length, 35 cm in width, 25 cm in depth&gt;

plus they have a diagram showing you what they mean by L, W and D (the depth is the thickness, L and W are sort of debatable as to direction, and don't really matter -- one is height and one is width.

isabel Mar 28th, 2007 03:17 PM

You should of course always pay attention to the web site of the airline you are flying. HOWEVER - as long as you are close, it really is a crap shoot. I have many times got through with more than I really believed was allowed, and also, have been forced to check a bag that really did meet the guidelines on the airlines web site. I just got back from Spain and as we were going through passport control the people behind me, who were on the same plane as I was, asked how I was allowed through with my 20&quot; plus a tote bag and a purse (I had fully intended to check the 20&quot;, but the gate agent said, sure you can carry it on so I did). The gate agent that checked them in had just been more strict. Last year I was pissed as hell when I sat in the boarding area and saw many, many people with the same size bag I was forced to check (was not a weight issue).

MareW Mar 29th, 2007 10:19 AM

As a followup, for what it's worth, I called Air France and the rep said they do not count the handle when measuring. I'm not sure I'm going to chance it though, as some of you haven't found that info to be correct.

Christina Mar 29th, 2007 12:09 PM

I wonder if that's the same rep who told someone else they wouldn't assign seats.

Their website is clear, it says they do. I think the real test is the width and one other dimension, as that is what would prevent you from getting it in those plastic boxes they have to measure them. If the entire top were one inch or just the handle protruded, you might get by, depending on the person there at the time and how busy they were or whatever. Most bags won't fit in that if you have them packed very full due to the width, I know, regardless of the other things. I've had bags fail that test twice because of the width and the handle really was irrelevant one way or the other.

hopscotch Mar 29th, 2007 12:35 PM

Looks like the luggage designers have some work to do: make a bag with wheels and handle that is certified to pass the cabin baggage tester thingy for all airports and all airlines.

Actually, the &quot;EU rule,&quot; effective two weeks from Tuesday, says that carry-on baggage in all EU airports is limited to dimensions of 56cm/22&quot; long, 45cm/18&quot; wide, and 25cm/10&quot; in height.

Individual airlines may have lesser dimensions. And the US standard for carry-ons is 22&quot; x 14&quot; x 9&quot;.

pmuzzy17 Apr 4th, 2007 12:00 PM

bookmarking - I too have been on a quest to understand my &quot;hand baggage&quot; allowance for my June Italy trip. It looks like for Air France in business class that you can have 3 (one larger, one smaller and a handbag all not to exceed 18kg in weight). I joined the FlyingBlue to be eligable for additional weight.

Dukey Apr 4th, 2007 12:07 PM

Say what you want but IMO some of that &quot;information on the website&quot; is totally irrelevant when you actually get to the airport and run into the agent who has decided to &quot;enforce&quot; the rules in a certain way.

You can spend hours arguing about what is &quot;on the website&quot; or simply comply and be admitted to the jetway.

I suspect more often than not the latter scenario is what takes place.