Means of Transportation

Search

Means of Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Means of Transportation

Hi, I am traveling to London this Month for around 2 weeks on business purpose. And i was wondering if anyone could suggest me the best means of transport. I heard people mostly use buses. What is your opinion about taxis.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:55 PM

The Tube or buses, not taxis (expensive).
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 11:58 PM

>>What is your opinion about taxis.<<

A comfortable but quite expensive way to go door to door; useful if you have to go somewhere out of the way that you've never been to before, or if you have to be somewhere (e.g., at a business meeting) at a particular time, or if you're carrying a heavy/bulky load.

I might use one once every other year: otherwise, it's tube and bus for me. The system is pretty well signposted and organised to make it easy to find where you want to go and how to get there: and much, much cheaper than using taxis, especially if you take full advantage of pre-pay schemes like Oyster pay-as-you-go or travelcards (your best bet would be to get 7-day travelcards).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/15101.aspx
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk
http://www.worldtaximeter.com/london
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:36 AM

You heard right. It is better to use Buses than other means of transportation. They may be relatively slower than a taxi but they are way cheaper and they will get you to your destination easily.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:56 AM

I always found the underground trains (tube) the most convenient - quicker and more reliable. But do be aware that it is crazy in the rush hours, in the morning, and around 5pm when people finish work.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 02:18 AM

"the best means of transport."

Whatever gets you from A to B in the most convenient and comfortable time.

Depending on the journey and time of day, in London that could be walking, bikes, buses, tube, overground train, tram, boat or cable car. Very, very, rarely taxi. You have to be seriously weird to avoid any of these methods (apart from taxis and bikes) on principle, or to have a strong preference for any one of them.

The best way to find out for your intended journey is to buy an Oyster or Travel card, and use the journey planner at http://www.tfl.gov.uk (which usually offers the walking option, including timing and route, among its choices, though not the cycling option). After a few days, you'll be able to second guess a lot.

Tubes aren't "crazy" at rush hours. Just crowded with millions of people who know what they're doing and calmly go about doing it. Unless you're a misanthrope, you'll find the experience slightly uncomfortable and nothing else. Choosing to use other forms of transport when they're also at their busiest - but, unlike the tube, also at their slowest - is close to deranged.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 03:26 AM

I will second what flanneruk said. Tube is the best means of transport if you don't mind a little discomfort. Because it is fast and will drop you at your destination on time, and it is not even that expensive. Best way is to buy a prepaid card for example Oyster.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 03:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tubes aren't crazy. I've been to Tokyo I know what crazy is.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Taxis are probably the best if work is paying!

Tube is easy and rarely that busy that you can't squeeze on, gets you pretty close to anywhere, and all on one fare. I used Oyster and fee was £2 per journey. Never have to wait long
But, they aren't air conditioned (yet-nice new trains coming) are underground so no view and air can feel a bit dirty.

Buses are nice, only cost £1.35 per trip on Oyster but you have to pay again if you change buses. Often have to wait longer but you get to watch the city go by during your journey. You do get stuck in traffic sometimes though.

Oyster PAYG worked out better for me doing 1-2 trips on most days in zones 1-2, rather than a travelcard
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>Oyster PAYG worked out better for me doing 1-2 trips on most days in zones 1-2, rather than a travelcard</i>"

Generally, for 5 to 7 days, a weekly travelcard works out best. (not always but most often). For 1-4 days PAYG is usually best.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 04:36 PM

If it's a business trip presumably the costs are covered by your company - and you should be using taxis - since the value of your time should be ore than the cost of the cab.

As vacationers we use feet as much as possible and usually tube for longer distances - but cabs in the evening (I usually wear heels going out to dinner) and if tube isn't convenient.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

Can someone suggest me how to use an Oyster card. And if my company pays for my travel should i then opt for a taxi? Because money will not be a problem then.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:25 PM

>>Can someone suggest me how to use an Oyster card<<

You just go to any tube station (or convenience store displaying the relevant sign, of which there are thousands), and tell them what you need (either 7-day travelcard or pay-as-you-go).
www.tfl.gov.uk/oyster

>>And if my company pays for my travel should i then opt for a taxi?<<

Depends on what rules your company has on how you use expenses, or if you feel obliged to save them unnecessary expenditure. If they're paying, you could feel less inhibited than some of us about using taxis - but they aren't necessarily the quickest way.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM

PS: you buy travelcards for specified zones of London (see the visitor's tube map on the TFL website - link above). Most people visiting only need zones 1-2, plus a bit of extra pay-as-go-money to cover the additional cost of travel from and to Heathrow. It helps to check which zones you're likely to be travelling in - or in your case, whether the time spent doing so is worth more to your company than the additional cost of getting an all-zones card.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:25 PM

Best option is the tubes. One other problem with taxis is London's traffic. At work hours London roads can be very busy and trouble some. So until and unless you don't want to be stuck up in the traffic you should opt for the tube. It is also faster than buses and will get you to your destination on time.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM

"And if my company pays for my travel should i then opt for a taxi? Because money will not be a problem then."

Doesn't that depend on whether you want your expense record to show you as a responsible employee or just another sponging wastrel with an absurd sense of entitlement who ought to be shown the door at the next round of cuts?

Off the rank taxis from the airports to central London are an infallible demonstration to any manager that he's employing a spendthrift whose commercial judgement cannot be trusted (or an investment banker, which comes to much the same thing). If you think you're too grand to get the tube, a prebooked car from someone like justairports shows your posturing is at least under control.

Occasional use of black taxis, combined with an ostentatiously bought Oyster Card, shows most employers you've got a reasonable sense of parsimony combined with ban appropriately nuanced understanding of the value of your time. No Oyster Card, in my book, means your ego is so much greater than your commercial sanity you oughtn't to be allowed back.

For most central London journeys where walking isn't an option, taxis take longer than the tube, and really make sense only in bad weather (when everyone else wants one), with luggage or if you're unsure of how to get there.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 04:36 AM

I would use taxis instead of tubes if you are using them very very late in the evening - walking down the tunnels in the night-time might not be all that safe in some underground stations or tunnels of particular districts - London, like most other big cities everywhere, is very diverse population- wise, has people living on the streets, and who are penniless. If you do take tubes in the night-time in certain areas, be extra careful of people walking close to you - pickpockets are very common at the tubes.

But during the day, I have used them solo so many times as a teenager and in my twenties, and never encountered any problems - (my uncle and aunt - my uncle used both tubes and taxis to go to work - used to live in London and I used to visit about twice a year for several years). The tubes are for sure the fastest way to travel around in London - but if you prefer using taxis, and your allowance gives you the priviledge of paying for them, then of course it is not a question about being stuck-up or anything, if you prefer the comfort of it. You do have the discomfort of having to go down steps, pass through the ticketing machine, then go down multiple excalators and to walk along long tunnels underground, the wait to catch the your required train, when using the tubes.

However, taking a taxi might take even longer though to arrive to your destination, especially in rush hours when people start or finish work, and there would be taffic jams everywhere - we did have a rental car and drove around London whilst on holiday in 2004, but often found it much easier to take tubes to tourist attractions.

But a taxi would still surely be quicker than taking buses - no time wasted in bus-stops to pick up people or to sell tickets. If money issues is no problem (nor my reputation for being a spend-drift with the company would not be affected), I would certainly use both tube and taxis - you are not being a snob IMO, just taking it more easy. But in my opinion, as another Fodorite said, I would surely say it is a waste of money to take a taxi from Heathrow to Victoria Central Station (unless I am filthy rich of course). You can get a taxi then from the station to hotel.

Bottom line, when in London, just do what you think is most convenient for you.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
glad to see the enviroment doesn't come into your thinking then ;-)
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"<i>I would use taxis instead of tubes if you are using them very very late in the evening - walking down the tunnels in the night-time might not be all that safe in some underground stations or tunnels of particular districts - London, like most other big cities everywhere, is very diverse population- wise, has people living on the streets, and who are penniless. If you do take tubes in the night-time in certain areas, be extra careful of people walking close to you - pickpockets are very common at the tubes.</i>"

Sorry - I was going to call that a load of clap trap, but really it is just a bit over-timid. For one thing the tube doesn't run really 'late at night' if that means after midnight. Any area typical visitors (business or vacation) would find themselves is safe to walk at 10PM or 11PM or later. There will be LOTS of other people out an about. And pickpockets (not a huge problem but do take precautions) would be busiest when the tube is more crowded earlier in the day.

(If you are out REALLY late - there are night buses that run all night long.)
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Only you know what the travel standards are for your company. Presumably the travel department - or HR - will be able to provide you with what those are.

Our company has limits on cost of hotels and daily meal costs (varying by city) unless we are entertaining clients. We are also requested to take cabs - rather than limousines - again unless entertaining a client. We also have a corporate travel service that provides flights and hotels at discounted rates - and we are encouraged to use it for our personal travel as well, since the additional use means the company qualifies for larger volume discounts.

But not all companies have the same rules/regs. You need to find out what yours are.

As for bus - IMHO this is too slow to be practical on a business day. If your company won't pay for cabs, tube is faster. And tubes don't run at night - I believe they shut down very early - possibly midnight (odd to someone with public transit 24/7/365).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -