Reload this Page >

Apartment in Trastevere

Search

Apartment in Trastevere

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:19 PM
jgarvey

Apartment in Trastevere

I will be spending a month in Rome around Feb.and/or March and would like to rent a reasonable but comfortable apt. in the Trastevere area for that time. I am a retired teacher from USA and would like to be on a small, quiet street in an older building. No studio or loft bed and not too many flights of stairs. Does anyone have a recommendation, personal experience? Thanks.

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.jeweloftrastevere.com/
I'll write a review soon on http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp?r=Rome
but you can't go wrong with this one. Just spent 18 nights and the location, apartment and price can't be better.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
jgarvey

Dear Normano,
Thanks for reply. I am already aware of the Jewel of Trastevere and have already contacted owner. So thanks for verifying my good choice there. But I can't locate the other apartment you mention. I am new to Fordors Travel Talk, so maybe I just don't know how to access your link. When I try, I just get the list of reviews. Did you write a review, and if so under what name or number? I did not see you under name as given here. Help! There are hundreds of apartments, my head is spinning, and I certainly appreciate any experienced guidance to help with my decision.

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:32 PM

My intention was to link you to SlowTrav where you could find many reviews of other apartments located in Trastevere.I have not yet written reviews of the two apartments we rented in our very recent one month in Rome. We also rented a two plus bedroom apartment in the Borgo neighbourhood through RealRome which we shared with friends for ten days.
What I can say here about the Jewel of Trastevere (and if you search this and other travel sites, you will find that there has been curiosity but no reports about it) is that not only is it well located (next to Piazza di San Cosimato and the Gianocolo Hill and around a corner or two from Santa Maria in Trastevere), spotless and spacious, recently renovated, completely appointed and decorated with sophistication, located on the second (North American second, Italian first) floor with easy stairs and a lift, reasonably priced, and has a nice prospect onto a vast and wonderful internal garden/courtyard within a very well maintained probably turn of the last century complex, but also the owner is a delight to deal with.
Worked for us and I miss it and Rome badly.
Should be perfect for a month as the neighbourhood is teeming with an excellent and complete array of shops and services as well as two supermercados and a daily market a short walk away. Our domestic routines were probably the real highlights of our trip to Rome and we very much had the sense of living in a vital and friendly neigbourhood. Plenty of opportunity to form relationships if you are gregarious and can get by with a little Italian.
And I suppose I should mention the dozens of restaurants (including the usually highly rated Alberto Ciarlo viewable (with a stretch) from the living room windows) along with the complete range of pizzerie and trattorie for which Trastevere is so famous. All within an endlessly fascinating five or ten minutes stroll.
The apartment more than lives up to its clear and accurate website presentation. I hope that it is available to you. Give our best to Paula.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I just returned from Trastevere, stayed 3 nights in a great little B&B, which we loved. But were I to be staying for a month, as you are jgarvey (and I am jealous indeed!), the apartment recommended by normanoromano looks absolutely positively PERFECT. And I can't imagine a better location...Piazza Santa Maria is such a special spot in Rome, it's like being in a small Italian town of its own...yet there you are, an easy 15-minute walk to everything in the centro storico. I'm bookmarking the jeweloftrastevere link!
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:19 PM
jgarvey

Ok, now I'm starting to get desperate! Aren't there any more recommendations out there for Trastevere apartments. I have looked at so much and spent so many hours on the websites, that now I am totally paralized and confused. Help me, please. I can't make this decision alone. I am older female (retired teacher) just looking for a safe , comfortable place to stay in Feb./March. All replies appreciated.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM

hi,
check out this website,
www.liveromelikearoman.com
it wasn't available or my week in may. it looks like it has two weeks available in march and maybe the owner could help you find another place or the rest of the month. give her site a thorough read, i believe she is a "transplanted american". good luck
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:15 PM

did you look at the places I mentioned in your other post?
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 03:51 AM

LucieV
I noted your comments about, "Santa Maria is such a special spot in Rome, it's like being in a small Italian town of its own...yet there you are, an easy 15-minute walk to everything in the centro storico."
I'll be staying at Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere. A 15 minute walk to sites sounds fine to me - how about walking to the Vatican, Colosseum and Piazza Navona from Trastevere?
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:18 AM

I'm a big walker, but I would highly recommend buying a transit pass if you're staying in Trastevere. The trams run very frequently, and even if you just get off at Largo Argentina, it saves you the walk across the bridge and into the center. The Colloseum would be a long walk from Trastevere - doable if you're not in a rush and want to see things along the way, but after a long day of sightseeing you'll want to take transit back home. Same with the Vatican, the walk isn't excessive, but there are convenient buses that drive along the river to bring you back to Trastevere.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:26 AM

And JGarvey, just an idea - if you're truly nervous about your apartment choices, you might consider renting several places, every week or so. This way if you're unhappy with the apartment, you'll soon be leaving. This worked for me in Amsterdam - I was unsure about location and hotel choice (plus my first choice wasn't available for my entire stay). So I split my trip into two different hotels. I wasn't too crazy about the first place, but it was okay because I knew I'd be in the second place before long.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:50 AM

jgarvey,

I found many great apartments in that are on www.sleepin italy.com and www.rentalinrome.com

Normanoromano - may I ask about how quiet the bedroom is at night in the Jewel of Trastevere?
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 08:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
gohedwig, in response to your question: My DH & I walk everywhere when we travel, for two reasons. 1, to see as much as we can; 2, to compensate for the amount of food that we are 'forced' to eat when we are researching world cuisine. ;-)

Seriously, I agree w/Nutella that you may want to buy a pass if you're planning to do a whirlwind tour of Rome. Since this was our 7th visit, we didn't feel compelled to see everything, so our meandering was pretty relaxed. We actually bought a pass when we arrived, and used it once in 4 days, so for us it wasn't worth the $$. It was sort of nice to have it with us, though, in anticipation of the evening when we might be too pooped to perambulate!
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 09:04 AM

Maybe because I am from NYC and walk everywhere I find Rome quite a walkable city. Granted it is a long walk to Piazza del Poppolo from Trastevere...however, I find that it is an easy walk to the Vatican and if you walk through the ghetto an easy walk to the Coloseum. I developed a real dislike for buses in Rome as a student because men would get really touchy and icky on the buses so it just turned me off and I never ride them when I visit. Basically we walk everywhere.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:24 AM

Normanoromano - may I ask about how quiet the bedroom is at night in the Jewel of Trastevere?

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM

I seem to recall reading a trip report by a woman who spent a month or so in an apartment in Trastevere. Have you done a search on this board? I think this was about a year and a half ago.

Aren't you glad I'm here to help with such precise information?

gohedwig, I'm fit and a good little walker, and have walked all over Rome many times. I've never taken the bus or metro there. I've taken taxis with my mom because she tires more easily. Otherwise, Rome is so beautiful and full of surprises, I prefer to walk.

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 11:15 AM

Here is one message from massagediva, the woman who spent a month in Trastevere:

Author: massagediva
Date: 07/27/2006, 08:34 am
I've stayed in both areas(rented an apartment in Trastevere for a month last year) and I would really recommend staying the the Centro Storico-Piazza Navona,Pantheon&Campo dei Fiori neighborhoods.I just think they're more convenient for 99% of what you'll want to see.Lots of people give the impression that Trastevere is a cute,untouristed neighborhood,but it's just as packed with tourists as the rest of Rome!

---

If you put >massagediva< in the Search box, you will eventually find - in the left-hand column - her trip report from 2005.

I should mention, though, that someone else in the same thread said that apartments in Trastevere tend to be somewhat cheaper than those in the historical center.

And do look again at

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp?r=Rome

the Web site that normanoromano gave you. There are reviews in there of apartments in Trastevere, and the reviews on SlowTrav are reliable, since they are mostly by people who stay in vacation rentals - rather than hotels - on a regular basis.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM

Got here as soon as I could.
The Jewel of Trastevere has bedroom and living/dining room windows that front on via G. Venezian and a large Vatican office complex that is attached to S. Maria in Trastevere and is of course appropriately quiet. But not without the usual sporadic Roman traffic noises and the vocal expressions of foot travelling residents.
No noisy bars, late restaurants or shops to be heard.
Custom fitted earplugs were a pretrip purchase for Valerie and I got along with the standard ones. It's Rome.
OTOH there is a single bedroom that faces into the garden courtyard and is very quiet.
I've written a ST review for our first apartment in the Borgo (waiting in the pending review section) and hope to complete a Jewel review soon.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM

Grazie
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 05:54 PM

Have you looked on slowtrav.com under reviews of Rome apts? As I recall there are a number of apts in
Trastevere that were reviewed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -