Mayo and Donegal questions

Jan 31st, 2012, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Mayo and Donegal questions

We are just starting to plan our trip scheduled for Fall, 2012. My 89 year old mom and a friend will join me for 10 days in Ireland. Mom and I have been several times - this will be my friend's first trip. We have decided to spend most of our time in County Mayo and County Donegal. We all have family in Mayo and I have always wanted to spend time in Donegal. I hope to fly in and out of Shannon.My initial thought is to spend 3 nights at the same B&B in each county as I think that would be easier for all.

In Mayo we are thinking of visiting Achil Island, Ciede Fields, Kiltimagh and Swinford (our family towns). Any other spots that we should add to our list? I was thinking of staying in Westport - The Boulevard Guest House is one of my favorites. Would that be a good place to park for the three nights?

I can really use a lot of help in Donegal having only spent one night in Donegal town 6 years ago. Would love ideas for a centrally located B&B and for must see spots.

My mom is fairly mobile but can't do a lot of walking so any ideas for interesting drives would help also.

Thanks for your help!
Feb 1st, 2012, 05:25 AM

Rhu Gorse B&B http://lougheske.com outside of Donegal Town has gorgeous views of the lough and one room on the ground floor if Mom has issues with stairs (as I do). We spent a day at Glenveagh National Park from there which was most enjoyable. The "castle" has lovely gardens which should still be nice in the fall.
Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!

jaja - that b&b looks wonderful and yes a first floor room would be very helpful. Glenveagh National Park looks beautiful. We will defintely add it to our list

Tony2phones - the link to the Trip Advisor info was very helpful. Full of great tips that I'm sure we will use in our planning

Thanks again - we're getting together soon to work on our plans and will definitely keep these tips in mind

Search this Thread