Search

Maybe We'll Get To Portugal After All!

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2020, 02:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
In a New York minute.

Old May 21st, 2020, 07:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I would find the process of getting to Portugal the riskiest part of the plan, I'd feel more comfortable if masks were ubiquitous. Sadly, masks are the latest battlefield in the silly culture wars, and airline enforcement of mask-wearing rules lack teeth. Without a federal requirement (like no smoking) which involves fines and arrest, there isn't much airlines can do once the passenger has boarded.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ment-on-planes
Old May 21st, 2020, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope you are able to travel by then.
Old May 21st, 2020, 09:13 AM

Traveling from the west coast, the thought of being masked for as many hours as multiple flights and airports, flight times, the layover times, would take, sleeping with a mask on the overnight flight, makes me not ready to go that route. I respect the reasons for why we have to do this, but it is not a vacation for me. Not right now.
Old May 21st, 2020, 10:26 AM

Being from the East Coast (I know you are not, maitaitom), Portugal would be one of the easiest air-travel destinations one could hope for in Europe - 6 1/2 hours non-stop from Philadelphia to Lisbon - assuming those routes are back up and running. We have already mothballed our two planned 2020 Europe trips, due to Covid of course, but we would not have been able to go on the earlier one anyway - late June/early July to Spain - due to some unrelated health issues of my own. The September Southern Italy trip would have been dicey at best, even without Covid. But if the country is open, and things do improve to an acceptable level - which is a highly subjective evaluation - Portugal seems like it would be about as good a bet as any European country, especially if you're looking for warmer weather.

Obviously your decision on whether to go is a personal matter. Were I a bit younger (I'm 67), and in perfect health, I may seriously consider it. But I'm not, so no. I will shortly have to decide on whether to book some business-related domestic travel, and I do not feel ready to do that either.
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cdnyul
In a New York minute.

I had to look it up, although I do remember the song: In a New York minute means right away, immediately, quickly and without hesitation.

Like it!
Old May 21st, 2020, 11:31 AM

No way, José
Old May 21st, 2020, 02:08 PM

It's a tough decision for you and Tracy. If you go, make sure to visit Bucaco Palace and forest if you're close to Coimbra. Magical place.
Old May 21st, 2020, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
" If you go, make sure to visit Bucaco Palace and forest if you're close to Coimbra. Magical place."

we're going to stop by on our drive Coimbra to Douro Valley.
Old May 21st, 2020, 04:38 PM

I’m interested to see how it turns out for you.

I’m starting to monitor plane ticket prices again. I was just thinking this afternoon that I’d love to be roaming through London or Rome right now, and I think by September I will be seriously wanting to travel again. Dunno if I’ll feel comfortable enough to fly internationally though.

Right now I’m torn between “well, if my chances of catching it here are increased, might as well travel” and “what would I have to change for it to feel safe”? I wouldn’t be comfortable in a private hotel room right now, let alone a hostel.

that article did make me feel better. Compared to Portugal, even Idaho is looking cautious. I don’t get Portugal’s strategy at all. I was just reading an article about Italy’s reopening and I thought that was crazy.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse

Right now I’m torn between “well, if my chances of catching it here are increased, might as well travel” and “what would I have to change for it to feel safe”? I wouldn’t be comfortable in a private hotel room right now, let alone a hostel.
What makes you think anyone wants you if your chances of catching the virus are increased? Seriously?? Do you think other countries are just sitting there waiting for you to bring the virus, possibly a slightly different strain of it, with you, when they are barely getting over the first hit? Just so you can satisfy some wanderlust which you could satisfy perfectly well in your own country?
Who will pay for your healthcare if you fall ill with the virus that you have kindly brought with you? You won't have health cover for it, and ICU in Europe is still an expensive experience, and you cannot seriously expect your host country to foot the bill.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting article today. I'm looking for flights while watching and awaiting ...

https://skift.com/2020/05/22/portuga...ving-by-plane/
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:35 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Good luck, maitaitom. Not anytime soon for us. We canceled our 2 trips this year but the destinations will still be there in 2021 or 22. I had 6 trips to Europe last year anyway, so I am not missing it yet. One was a 3 day trip to a factory 30 kms from Porto, which was cool. Very nice people everywhere.

Meanwhile, I will be content to be vicariously entertained by everyone’s trip reports.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 03:40 PM

Up to you.
I would love to go to Europe in the fall , but I worry about spending all that money and not being able to relax ..ie:take taxis and public transit, shop , eat and drink , etc..
without constantly wondering if the staff at the hotel is healthy, are the washrooms disinfected, has the cook coughed lately..???🙀
Most of of all, if something unpredictable happened on the way, the prospect of being quarantined abroad for 2 weeks terrifies me.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 05:40 PM

Looks like Portugal wants you.

I enjoyed my visit in October 2018. Terribly crowded, though.

In Sintra I stayed at Casa da Pendôa.

I liked the Star Inn for an airport hotel, which I was glad I had on my late night arrival concurrent with the zombie Hurricane Leslie.

The Rick Steves Lisbon podcast was useful for walking around on my own. I wonder if the famous
Ginjinha place will be open?

Last edited by mlgb; May 22nd, 2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
What makes you think anyone wants you if your chances of catching the virus are increased? Seriously?? Do you think other countries are just sitting there waiting for you to bring the virus, possibly a slightly different strain of it, with you, when they are barely getting over the first hit? Just so you can satisfy some wanderlust which you could satisfy perfectly well in your own country?
Who will pay for your healthcare if you fall ill with the virus that you have kindly brought with you? You won't have health cover for it, and ICU in Europe is still an expensive experience, and you cannot seriously expect your host country to foot the bill.
Wow. Holy overreaction, Batman. We’re talking about travel in the fall, and beyond. Not next week. And it’s strange to assume that I’d be bringing whatever new strain you imagine I’d have when travel will go in both directions. Unless countries keep their borders closed, this will be everywhere. Sure, I could travel domestically, to LA or Florida or Chicago...where I could catch Covid 19 from a European tourist.

as for the hospital, if everyone on this board didn’t travel because they might end up in a foreign hospital, no one would travel. I’m sure I will need treatment overseas someday. Chances are very low that it’ll be due to Covid 19. My bet is that I’ll fall down a flight of stairs or trip over a curb.

All irrelevant as I don’t have trip planned and have yet to get up the courage to take the local bus.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:29 AM

I would wait and see what happens from July onwards.
Australia has its borders closed and we are not allowed to go overseas for a holiday. I am not sure when that is going to change, because the different states do not want to open the borders to each other.
The problem with a pandemic is that there is always more than one wave. Everyone thinks.. phew we did it and then they relax a bit, and it starts all over again. This is what is currently happening in China.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
I don’t think this is an overreaction. I also do not think things will be miraculously different come fall. Maybe sitting out 2020 is the prudent thing to do; the thought of either bringing the virus back to Europe, or getting hit there with the projected second wave, is uncomfortable. I don’t have as many travel years left as I would like, and yes, we have cancelled two trips this year, but this is just my personal feeling.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:28 AM

Hi!

I live in Matosinhos, a neighbour city of Porto, Portugal, and today I had my fisrt meal out in 3 months! I was with my best friend, Paula. It felt good, it felt really good. We went at "Mercado do Bom Sucesso", Porto, maybe some of you know it. The procedures are more or less the same of going to the supermarket. "Mercado" has 4 doors, 2 on the front side and 2 on the back side, and you use one to go out and one to go in, in both sides. There are security men at the doors, they make sure you sanitize your hands before getting inside, and that you are using a mask. Then it's the normal procedure, keeping social distance. There are no tables inside, you can take your meal home, or have it (as we did) in the exterior tables.

Concerning your trip, I thik these are times for "wait and see". I hope things will improve for the better, but in a day everything can change, for the better or not.

We need tourists, fo course, but can tourists behave well? I must say I am surprised of the behaviour in general of the portuguese people. We all have sanitizer in our bags, we stayed home and keep staying as much as we can, we use masks, we don't make crowds, we keep social distance. Can you imagine what it is meeting your best friend without kissing?

Weather is really good today (well, a litle bit windy). I received a photo from a friend of mine that lives in Lisbon and went to the beach today. Beach is almost empty.

All in all, we are doing our best to keep things as they are or improve them for the better. Let's see. Let's wait and see.

I wish you can make your trip, Tom. If you need any kind of information pls don't hesitate to contact me.

Sorry if english is a litle bit "strange". Please remember it's not my first language, and I had a glass of wine for lunch!

Helena
Old May 23rd, 2020, 08:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
re hetismij2's post, I also don't think it's overreaction.

And I think predicting what things will be like in September is a fool's errand.

The BBC article below lists current rules for several countries. None of the news reports on this subject are written in the future tense.

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52544307

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -