May Weather Austria (Vienna/Salzburg)

Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:08 PM
lizbeth

May Weather Austria (Vienna/Salzburg)

I know this is a subject with the most variables for answers anywhere, but I've never been to Austria and would like to know what to expect in terms of weather early and mid-May. Those of you who have been there in this season, can you tell what the weather was like the last time (or better yet, the last couple of times)? Thank you very much.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:07 PM
Linda

Check wunderground.com for weather history as well as current.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:55 PM
FB

I just returned from both Salzburg and Vienna last week. The weather was sunny each day but one rainy day in Vienna. The temp was a bit chilly some days, maybe in the 40's, some days in the 50's. I would imagine it's getting warmer every week we get closer to summer. When we were there a local said that the spring months are very slow to warm up and the real warmth of summer starts toward the end of June. I had a spring coat and some days could've used a heavier one and some days needed gloves as the winds were quite chilly. For early May I would bring layers...you'll probably have some variable temps...a suggestion...on a sunny day in Salzburg take the funicular to the fortress and have lunch at the outdoor restaurant...it's an amazing way to just sit and chill. We were there on a chilly day but the restaurant is protected from wind by the fortress walls and the sun shines directly on it...we took off our coats and got some sun amidst the amazing views. have fun.

Apr 24th, 2002, 01:05 AM
honey

Expect showers, highs around 60-65 and lows around 45.

Apr 24th, 2002, 05:30 AM
bettyk

When we were last there a couple of years ago in May, I would have given anything for temperatures in the 60's! The first 2 days weren't bad but then it turned cold and cloudy and was very windy. Salzburg was only marginally better. The weather can be very changeable in May so be prepared.