Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

May I Pick Your Brain About Rome & Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 1999, 05:08 PM
Liz Renson

Greetings, <BR>I am planning a trip to Italy for late March, 2000 with a pal. I plan to go on a five-night Alitalia package to Rome, and hope to tack on 2 nights in another city - I'm thinking Venice. <BR>Just a couple of questions- <BR>a) I must choose from a group of hotels in Rome, and I have read that the Termini station is not the best area so I'd like to avoid it. Does anyone have info on the following hotels: Augustea, Andreotti, Center, Donatello, Patria, Portamaggiore, Principe de Piemonte, Valle. Obviously I'd like one centrally located, clean, comfortable with a good bathroom! <BR>b) Any suggestions for a second city? Venice? Florence? I enjoy museums and historical sites. Help! So much to see, so little time! <BR>c) Has anyone travelled to Rome/Venice in late March who can describe the weather? <BR>d) Safety concerns for two 23-year old girls in these cities? <BR> <BR>Please feel free to email me directly with any responses, tips or helpful information. I really appreciate your help, fellow travellers! Thanks-

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:17 AM
elaine

Hi Liz <BR>I've not been to Rome but I checked my Italy guidebook and can't find your hotels listed. That in itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. With luck other posters are familiar with some of the hotels and will comment, but if not, get the addresses of the hotels and locate them on a map of Rome so you'll know where they are, and check them out in a good Rome guidebook. <BR>Here are some websites that may have info on those hotels <BR>www.italyguide.com/ <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>www.italyhotel.com www.italiantourism.com/ <BR>www.traveleurope.it/ <BR>www.itwg.com <BR> <BR>When you leave Rome, even if you leave very early in the morning, your two nights in another city will really be <BR>about a day and half, by the time you get there, check into your new hotel, etc. Both Florence and Venice are wonderful, although for me Venice has a slight edge, just because it's unique. Florence definitely has the edge in my opinion in terms of art and a wealth of museums. In fact, in a day and a half you will barely scratch the surface in either city, but especially not in Florence which seems to have more art per square inch than anyplace else I can think of. <BR>If you are a true art lover and seeing <BR>Michelangel's David is a dream, by all means go to Florence. The city center is small, charming and easily negotiated on foot <BR>If you want the experience of a unique <BR>and unforgettable place, if your museum-going is second place to atmosphere and water and boats and a feeling of romance in the air, by all means go to Venice. <BR>You won't be sorry in either case, you'll just want to go back again. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:17 AM
elaine

Hi Liz <BR>I've not been to Rome but I checked my Italy guidebook and can't find your hotels listed. That in itself doesn't necessarily mean anything. With luck other posters are familiar with some of the hotels and will comment, but if not, get the addresses of the hotels and locate them on a map of Rome so you'll know where they are, and check them out in a good Rome guidebook. <BR>Here are some websites that may have info on those hotels <BR>www.italyguide.com/ <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>www.italyhotel.com www.italiantourism.com/ <BR>www.traveleurope.it/ <BR>www.itwg.com <BR> <BR>When you leave Rome, even if you leave very early in the morning, your two nights in another city will really be <BR>about a day and half, by the time you get there, check into your new hotel, etc. Both Florence and Venice are wonderful, although for me Venice has a slight edge, just because it's unique. Florence definitely has the edge in my opinion in terms of art and a wealth of museums. In fact, in a day and a half you will barely scratch the surface in either city, but especially not in Florence which seems to have more art per square inch than anyplace else I can think of. <BR>If you are a true art lover and seeing <BR>Michelangel's David is a dream, by all means go to Florence. The city center is small, charming and easily negotiated on foot <BR>If you want the experience of a unique <BR>and unforgettable place, if your museum-going is second place to atmosphere and water and boats and a feeling of romance in the air, by all means go to Venice. <BR>You won't be sorry in either case, you'll just want to go back again. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:46 AM
Kimberley

Liz- <BR>Elaine's advice is great, and I'm sure she's right that you will love aspects of either Venice or Florence. But, even though I am an art buff, I would still opt for Venice because of how different it is. Every major city has art museums with at least a few major works, but no city offers the atmosphere Venice does. Of course the museums in Florence are a huge step above what most cities offer, but still...they are art musuems. What Venice gives you is qualitatively different from anywhere else. Plus, two days can do Venice justice, but you'll really only scratch the surface in Florence anyway. I'd save it for next time. <BR>Regarding safety, I was in Italy when I was 24 with another 24 year old girl, and we rarely felt unsafe at all. Our only rough moment was arriving in the middle of the night in Florence and leaving the train station - it was totally dark and the people hanging around at that time of night at the train station looked a little seedy. Otherwise, we felt fine everywhere and actually met locals in Rome, Venice, and Florence who took us out and showed us parts of the city that we wouldn't have seen otherwise. No problems at all. Have fun! KK

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 05:05 AM
karie

Hi Liz. Excellent advice from Elaine concerning Florence vs. Venice. I totally agree. I was going to comment on the weather, as I was there the last two weeks of last March. I took a lightweight jacket, waterproof, with a hood...pockets are nice. The weather will vary, and can be somewhat cool at times during that month. It was rainy and cold when we arrived in Venice, and then the next day was incredibly beautiful and sunny and blue skies. Take some things you can layer. I lived in a turtleneck, long-sleeved top and a spaghetti-strap t-shirt for underneath. All black was good...doesn't show dirt and all coordinates. Concerning your hotels...I stayed both areas in Rome, and didn't feel uncomfortable near Termini, but I do suggest staying in "old Rome". It is far more charming, and it is nice to just walk out your door and to Piaza Navonna, instead of taking the train. I never felt concerns of safety, and there were times I walked around alone. You probably will be approached by Italian men, but they understand "no", though you may have to be firm! I never felt threatened. Be alert on the underground and I did not carry a purse. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 06:52 AM
mwg

I stayed near Termini several times and I think it is very noisy. The last time I was there (last March), quiet was a concern and I stayed on the Aventine Hill and liked that area a lot. however there are many many many hotels away from Termini. Last March Rome was very pleasant and Venice was quite warm. Of course, the weather is very changeable in March. I too would opt for Venice because it is unique. March is a great time to be there because there are far fewer people than during the main tourist months. Let's face it, if you go to Florence instead, I'm sure you would have a great time. It is somewhat closer to Rome.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 07:07 AM
Paulo

Regarding a 2nd city, though I agree with Elaine, my vote will follow Kim's Venice is extraordinary and will provide you with quite a contrast with Rome. <BR>Regarding the hotels you list, I also know nothing about but their location. <BR> <BR>The Augustea (via Nazionale 251), Centro (via Firenze 12) and Patria (via Torino 36) are close to each other, very near Piazza della Republica and train station (but on the "better" side of the train station relative to centrality and stroll to Roman sites). The Augustea might be somewhat noisy unless you're able to get a room on the back side. <BR>The Donatello (via Porta Maggiore 83) and the Porta Maggiore (Piazza Porta Maggiore 25) are also close to each other, 2.5km to the southeast of the train station ... From my perspective, the location is worse than the above (but nowhere near the train station if that concern you). The Andreotti (via Castelfiolardo 55) is just north (close) to the train station, IMO not that bad but still worse than the first group. <BR>I have to go now, but I'll see what I can find on the Principe de Piemonte and Valle later on ... <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:30 AM
Carol

Liz: A bit of practical information--Florence is 3 hours away from Rome by train, Venice is 6 hours away! If you want to do Venice, I'd definitely fly otherwise you'll spend all the time travelling. Another alternative is to do a day trip to Assisi which is an extraordinarily well preserved and beautiful medieval town, over and above the glories of the frescoes in the cathedral, and another day trip to either Orvieto or Pompeii or Capri. Florence, of course, is fabulous. <BR> <BR>for hotel locations, see if you can get their exact street names and addresses and locate them on a map of Rome. That way you'll at least have some idea of the area in general...city center, Vatican...Aventine Hill, etc.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:40 AM
elaine

Me again <BR>My own opinion wasn't very clear--I vote for Venice, too, always, although Carol's point about the time and distance is a very good one. <BR>Also how about Siena? Easy distance from Rome, beautiful town. spectacular <BR>Duomo, and its highlights can be more comprehensively seen in 1.5 or 2 days. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:59 AM
Deb

My favorite city in Italy is Venice. But it is 6 hours away from Rome vs. 2-3 hours for Florence. <BR> <BR>It is possible to do an overnight train to Venice from Rome. That could be an option for you. <BR> <BR>Regarding safety, your worst problem especially in Rome will be pickpockets (just keep alert and you will be fine) and possibly as 23 year olds a "feel" or two in the crowded buses. That's just Italy!! <BR> <BR>Enjoy Italy...it is terrific. <BR> <BR>Deb

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 09:12 AM
Kathy

My husband and I just returned from 5 days in Rome. We took the Eurostar train from Rome to Florence for a day trip to that city and the train ride was one and one half hour. Florence was beautiful, hot, crowded, and exiting, and easily done as a day trip from Rome. Make sure you get advance reservations for the Uffizi and the Acadamie if you wish to see these museums. Reservations are an absolute must unless you want to wait in an impossibly long line. Reservations can be made at http://waf.it

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:15 PM
Paulo

Complementing the hotel location info, the Principe di Piemonti (Via Giolitti 449) is close to the train tracks, about 1.5 km southeast from the train station. The closest monument around is the Basilica S. Giovanni in Laterano, IMO a bit off of what you could call central. The Valle (via Cavour 134) is in the Esquilino, pretty close to the Basilica Sta. Maria Maggiore, the Colosseo and the Roman Forum. I wouldn't be surprised if front rooms turn out noisy, though. <BR>Location wise, your best bet seems to be the Valle. Though quite close to the train station, I would rate the Centro and Patria a close second choice. All hotels are in the 3-star cathegory and there shouldn't, in principle, be much difference between them. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Liz Renson

Hello All... <BR>Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you who have taken the time and effort to respond. Please keep it coming! As always, feel free to reply directly to my email address *[email protected]*. <BR>Ciao! <BR>Liz

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 08:40 AM
Dawn

What about flying into Milan, or even into Pisa. Venice from Milan is under 3 hours. Then you could head south and see things along the way.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 02:21 PM
Walter

Liz: If you plan to do Venice and you are flying in&out of Rome, I would start at Venice. That way you'll just waste your jet-lag day getting there and 1/2 day return to Rome. Rather than 4nights Rome, 1/2day to Venice, 2nights Venice, 1/2day to Rome, and last night in Rome. In Feb98 I flew into Rome on Alitalia, had a 2hr lay-over and took a Alitalia flight to Venice. It costs 3X the train fare ($120USD vs $44-2nd) but it was alittle quicker and less hassle. The non-stop Eurostar is 4:35 Rome-Venice. <BR>Many Alitalia flights stop in Milan before Rome and you could (as Dawn mentioned) catch the train to Venice from there and fly out of Rome. <BR>If you decide on Florence it's less than 2hrs away. I'd book the museum tickets online and avoid Mondays (museums closed). <BR>In Rome I'd book one of the hotels near Termini or a metro stop, it makes getting around Rome, from/to the airport,to/from hotel/station and 2nd city easier (*if* you aren't burdened with luggage). Consider using a backpack. HTH Regards, Walter <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 06:00 AM
Lisa

Liz, <BR> <BR>I was in Rome, Florence and Venice with my best friend when we were 24 and we really had no feelings of being unsafe at all. We stayed at the Portamaggoire in Rome and found it to be very clean, nice bathrooms, excellent continental breakfast and helpful bilingual staff. We walked to all of the major sights from here and it was convenient to the train station. Florence and Venice are both fascinating so you really can't make a bad choice. The time issue makes spending 6 hours during the day seem wasteful, so definitely look into night train options if you decide to go to Venice. Or, could you do a day in Florence on your way to Venice? It would give you a small taste of them both. You will have the time of your life!

Old Sep 18th, 1999, 08:12 AM
Gary

Liz: <BR> <BR>Came back a couple of months ago from a trip to Italy, seeing Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. Both Florence and Venice are lovely, but if you only have time for one, my vote would be Venice. It is magical, really far exceeded the expectations both my wife and I had. I wouldn't miss it. <BR>

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:10 AM
Beth

Having just got back, the high speed train will get you to Florence in under 2 hours, and Venice in 4 1/2. It is a tough choice, because you hate to lose the travel time, but I go with the crowd and vote for Venice. As I said in my other post, I really liked the Accademia in Venice, so you can get good art there too, especially with such a short time frame. <BR> <BR>You might try to choose Sunday or Monday as your travel day since many museums are closed. Or better yet, pick out the places you really want to see and find out when they are closed, then plan your travel day accordingly. <BR> <BR>If you do go to Venice plan to see the Basilica San Marco late in the day. It is absolutely deluged with tour groups in the early morning. Although perhaps in March this will be less of a problem.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Liz Renson

Update: <BR>It looks like with school & work schedules, I'm going to have to leave on a Saturday night, spend 5 nights in Rome, leave the city on Friday, spend Friday night, Saturday night and maybe if I'm lucky Sunday night in the to-be-determined-city-of-choice-which-is-really-looking-like-it's-gonna-HAVE-to-be-Venice-no-doubtaboutit! <BR>The package supposedly lets me fly out of Venice for an extra 40 bucks. Anyway, since I don't have to travel BACK to Rome, do you guys still think it's worth it or a waste to travel by train to Venice? <BR>I really appreciate your interest & replies! Thanks.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 04:38 PM
Walter

It's only 4:35 away on a non-stop Es train. Breakfast in Rome, lunch in Venice. Plus the train trip isn't a waste..Scenery!!! Regards, Walter p.s. $40!!! I paid $120, that's cheaper than the train fare. <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -