Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   May I ask opinion on airline flight schedule from Dulles (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/may-i-ask-opinion-on-airline-flight-schedule-from-dulles-438610/)

Bluebird Jun 3rd, 2004 10:26 AM

May I ask opinion on airline flight schedule from Dulles

I would appreciate opinions on flight schedule. I am trying to do everything myself for this trip. My first time making flight reservations. I found a good deal leaving Dulles on United to Frankfort and then Frankfort to Florence,I believe on Lufthansa. The flight arrives Frankfort at 7:10 Am and departs Frankfort 7:55 Am for Florence. I know 45 minutes between flights isn't much time--do ya'll think it's doable? Thanks for any help in advance!

Blacktie Jun 3rd, 2004 10:30 AM

The question is: is a 45-minute period a legal connection, and for that answer, you need to talk with the airline. Airlines are very rigid about that issue.

Ivy Jun 3rd, 2004 10:31 AM

I just did this connection but I landed into frankfurt at 6:30 so I had 85 minutes. I think 45 minutes is cutting it very close but if you run like mad you can make it. Of course, it doesn't leave any room for delays. Personally, I wouldn't do it - too much stress. Check United again (and lufthansa, which is their affiliate who runs the fights) and see if you can't find the one I was on that landed at 6:30. I think it was lufthansa flight 417.

Blacktie Jun 3rd, 2004 10:36 AM

... I'd also be thinking about luggage transfers between planes. Your plan needs adjustment, and you need to talk with the airline about that 45 minutes. Why guess at it, when they will tell you. You say it's your first time making reservations. Why take the chance? Something here doesn't make sense.

Dick Jun 3rd, 2004 10:51 AM

We went Dulles to Munich to Florence last summer. We had one hour between flights and alghough we had to hustle between flights it was doable.

We returned Venice to Frankfort to Dulles. For our connections, Frankfort was easier because the airport layout seemed more compact.

Since Lufthansa and United are partners, I don't think your luggage will be a problem.

It sounds like you have great trip planned!!!

rkkwan Jun 3rd, 2004 11:05 AM

Lufthansa's online reservation does show that as a valid connection; as long as you're getting it issued by UA or LH on the same ticket, if you miss the connection, they will put you on the next flight later that day, about 4 hours later.

You can also take the earlier IAD-FRA flight on LH. UA codeshare with LH on both flights, so the price should be the same. The LH flight gets you into FRA almost an hour earlier.

LH also has connection IAH-MUC-FLR, in addition to FRA, that you can consider.

Riffic Jun 4th, 2004 03:10 AM

Bluebird,

Unless you'd be saving a ton of $$$, I would not book such a tight connection at FRA airport. More than likely, you have to change terminals, which will most certainly involve a very long walk.

Even if you do make it, I am betting your luggage won't. Three times, I made <1 hr. connections with an international flight with checked luggage (once at Dulles, twice at O'hare--both coming from Munich) and each time, my luggage arrived the next day.

My recomendation is to take the 5:45 IAD-MUC flight on United metal; then do MUC-FLR on Lufthansa metal. First, transferring in MUC is much more pleasant than in FRA, as there is no terminal change required. Also, you'd have the chance to fly in economy plus (more legroom) on the trans-atlantic haul for the same price as regular economy (subject to availability).

Budman Jun 4th, 2004 03:49 AM

Frankfurt is a zoo. You will have to go thru immigration and then back turh security screening again. If you have to change terminals, which is likely, it will take a long time. Then, on some flights, you will have to be bussed on to the tarmac where some planes are parked.

My guess is your luggage will arrive 24 hours late in Florence. Ours did to Munich with a 1 hour 15 min transfer. If you do try such an aggressive flight, bring some toiletries and a change of clothes in your carry-on. ((b))

Singletail Jun 4th, 2004 04:58 AM

And my guess is that your luggage will arrive on the flight since it is checked through and doesn't stop to oggle the "pretty German girls" or have a glass of beer or take a whiz on its way from one terminal to another (if it even has to go from one terminal to another). YOU, on the other hand are a different story.

I would try to allow more time between flights. Frankfort isn't always a "zoo" but it can take a lot of time...and just wait until you get BACK to Dulles are start to clear our wonderfully efficient and oh so polite US Customs facility there..now THAT's a zoo.

Good luck.