May Holidays in Paris AH!

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Rose

May Holidays in Paris AH!

when i booked my trip, for May 9th through to May 13th - I didn't realize that it would span 2 holidays (on the 9th and the 13th) in Paris. Are things likely to be closed? will the museums and major sites be closed all weekend?

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Shanna

Rose, last year about this time there was a thread about holidays in Paris. You might search under "ascension day" which is in May. I seem to recall that was the holiday that started the thread. My own experience is that a lot of public places are closed on religious holidays, but restaurants remain open. However, some religious holidays give locals a chance to sightsee and they are accommodated. Good luck.

Mar 19th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Janet

We're planning to be in Paris May 5 - 12. Found that VE Day on May 8 and Ascension on May 9 would cause some minor difficulties. Many of the churches will have special services so will not be open for tourists on Ascension Day. It appears that the museums will be open, we checked out Louvre and D'Orsay web sites and they are not having extended hours those days, but will be open. Don't have any info on 13th.

Mar 19th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Christina

There isn't any French holiday on the 13th. Only the 1st, 8th, 9th, 19th and 20th of May (only!) Perhaps you are looking at old information talking about moveable holidays which change dates (ie, Ascension which was 5/13 3 years ago).

There have been several threads on here on this exact subject recently which perhaps you can find, as well as above comments on important things.

Search this Thread