May Day in Paris

Mar 25th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

May Day in Paris

My wife and I are going to Paris for our first time this May. We will be arriving in Paris Thursday, April 30. The following day is May Day. From what I have read, most shops will be closed for the day, but some shops in touristy areas may be open. We are looking to just relax, maybe stroll a neighbourhood or two (we were thinking Montmartre, Latin Quarter, or Marais) and sit down in a park, have some wine and cheese, etc.

Has anyone been to Paris during May Day? What has been your experiences? What would be some good ideas if it is raining?

Thank you for your advice!
Mar 25th, 2015, 05:46 PM

I was caught in a big demonstration in my sports car in Place de la Republique. Lickily I had British plates on the car. My little daughter was asleep on the back bench. Most unpleasant experience.
Mar 25th, 2015, 09:00 PM

We once arrived on May 1st and spent the afternoon walking around Montmartre. It was pretty crowded at Sacre Coeur and the surrounding area. There were lots of restaurants and shops open, but this is a pretty touristy area. Later in the day we took the metro to Trocadero and walked over to the Eiffel Tower.

Can't help you with what to do if it rains as we had nice weather, but I'd probably check to see if any museums are open.
Mar 25th, 2015, 11:47 PM

You will find plenty of things to do on May 1st, #1 being just walking around to get a feel of the city.

Some private museums are open and so is the Eiffel Tower, but on a day when everything else is closed, I don't think you should go to places that will be mobbed on that day if you have any other option.

You will see people on every street corner selling little bunches of muguet (lily of the valley). On this particular day, anybody who wants to can sell it legally -- no permit required -- and the point of buying it is that it will bring you good luck for the rest of the year. Some stands are sponsored, so if you want to help finance the Red Cross or the Communist Party, you can look for their clearly labelled stands.

Search this Thread