Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   May a good time to visit Switzerland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/may-a-good-time-to-visit-switzerland-193030/)

Jean Sep 30th, 2001 10:48 AM

May a good time to visit Switzerland?

Weather wise, is May too cold for visiting Switzerland?

Christian Wing Sep 30th, 2001 11:28 AM

Jean, I was in Switzerland for one month this year. second half of march and first half of april. I stayed in Zurich and made trips out of Zurich to ski and site see. are you talking about geneva and zurich, or the resorts like grindlewald, st moritz, gstaad ect. I was skiing in mid march and the conditions were great!!!! Not too cold.

Christian Wing Sep 30th, 2001 11:38 AM

I thought I would expand. In zurich or geneva the temp was roughly between 50-60 degrees, somewhat cold at night (40?) I really depends what you are going to do. If you want to do a lot of mountain hiking...May might be a bit too early. Forget skiing...too late. One thing I will say, it an unusual place switzerland, it is as beautiful in the winter as the summer. Can't go wrong. You will also find that the crime rate and level of safety is unreal!!! sooooo safe.

Florence Sep 30th, 2001 12:49 PM

Jean and Christian, <BR> <BR>Weather in May is really unpredictable from year to year. Last May was sunny and warm but I've lived through really miserable Springs too. <BR> <BR>Switzerland is really safe indeed, although not perfect; be careful for pickpockets in airports and main train stations. I'd hate to hear about fodorites being victims ... <BR> <BR>

Bob Brown Sep 30th, 2001 01:12 PM

I don't think May is a good time for Switzerland if you want to visit the mountains. It is post ski season, but pre summer. Many of the resorts are on a reduced operating basis. <BR>Many hotels are closed for a break and repairs and the trails are wet from the melting snow. You can go there if you stick to the cities. But, for me, Switzerland is the Alps and the high trails. Early September is usually ok, but this year I don't think it was. I know western Austria was clouds and rain, with some snow at the higher elevations.

Kay Oct 1st, 2001 04:51 AM

We went to Switzerland about 5 years ago in late May/early June. We were lucky that the wildflowers were in bloom, but the locals told us they were late that year. One day we hiked in the snow on muddy trails with no view. The next day we had full sunshine with views for miles. We wore our Gore-tex coat & pants plus waterproof hiking boots a lot on that trip. Murren was practically deserted, so few restaurant choices but lovely solitude. Easy to get seats on trains, rooms at hotels, etc. It was warmer and yet still quiet along the lake at Montreaux, Vivey, etc. <BR> <BR>So, I'd say the later in the month the better, but doable anytime with proper clothing and shoes.