Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   MaxJet Sale--Business class JFK to London STN, $499 each way (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/maxjet-sale-business-class-jfk-to-london-stn-499-each-way-735072/)

Julie_Hurst Sep 8th, 2007 02:55 PM

MaxJet Sale--Business class JFK to London STN, $499 each way

Just got an email on this. Naturally we already have ours booked for November :-( Could have saved $300 per person x 3 people!

Anyway, must fly by 12/31/07. Forget what the booking deadline is.

Hope someone can use the info. Business class is sooo nice!

Julie

SandyBrit Sep 8th, 2007 03:54 PM

Julie,

What a great sale for anyone who can use this. Like you we purchased our tickets for October sometime back.

This will be our first time on MaxJet and no experience with STN so a quick question. Is the one bag rule in force at STN upon return.

Any other tips that we should be aware of as first timers in Business class.

Sandy

janisj Sep 8th, 2007 04:13 PM

the one bag rule applies to all UK airports . . . . .

Julie_Hurst Sep 8th, 2007 04:17 PM

Sandy, that's a good question about the one bag rule. Since we only take 1 bag per person, I never thought about it. I assume you are talking about carryon.

Here's what I found at stanstedairport.com - "Hand baggage - one bag rule - Each passenger may take only ONE item of hand baggage through security control. It must be no larger than: 55cm (21.7 in) tall, 40cm (15.7in) wide, 20cm (7.9 in) deep.
Please note for passengers travelling with EOS and MAXjet, the following sizes are permitted: 56cm (22in) tall,
45cm (17.7in) wide, 25cm (10in) deep.
Please double check with your airline, as some operate further limits on bag size. Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage, but not separately."

Only thing I can think of for 1st timers is - be hungry! They feed you in the lounge preflight & all thru the flight! Plus you can ask for & get food even when they are not offering! If you want another full meal or an extra entree, dessert, or other course, ask for it. If there are extras available, you will get it free of charge. You can also get snacks & drinks at any time.

Like all airlines' first & business class, MaxJet gives you complimentary footies, sleep mask, earplugs, pillows, blanket, private TV screen with lots to view, headsets, sodas, water, juice, booze, food from menu with 3 selections of each course, snacks. Love it!

JFK Maxjet lounge has showers we plan to use since we leave home early am & arrive in Venice in the afternoon + the day change. Don't know if STN has showers.

The seats are great. Not the lay flat kind, but after our 1st & only coach flight to Europe, such a blessing! So much room!

The staff is great too. Very nice after some airline coach staff!

Enjoy & have a great trip, Julie

Julie_Hurst Sep 8th, 2007 04:19 PM

Ooops. I took too long to post. janisj already answered the one bag rule.

janisj Sep 8th, 2007 04:35 PM

that's OK - I gave the quick and dirty, you gave the details :)

SandyBrit Sep 8th, 2007 04:36 PM

Thank you very much Julie for such a thoughtful kind reply.

We are now getting a bit up in years so it is going to be quite a treat flying with MaxJet. I can't begin to tell you the number of times that I have gone back and forth in coach and some of the staff over the years have become quite surly and the food plain awful. We always made the best of it since it allowed me to visit my family and explore a bit further afield and that was all we could afford.

Janis I appreciate you answering about the bag. I suspected it was the same as the other UK airports but wanted to confirm.

Sandy

rkkwan Sep 8th, 2007 04:37 PM

Continental over the Thanksgiving holiday is around $1,350 all-in roundtrip in business EWR-LGW. [Cannot return on 11/25 or 11/26.]

Christmas holiday is around $1,500 all-in, and you can return after New Year.

CO's business class is nicer than Maxjet's. And they use Gatwick. On the return, you can use Emirate's excellent lounge at LGW.

Many other European destinations available for the holiday period. Going to Ireland or Northern Europe is even cheaper than the UK (partly because of the high departing tax for business class from UK, which totals over $200).

Just an alternative for those looking for good business class fares to Europe.

Carrybean Sep 8th, 2007 11:51 PM

Glad to hear this about MaxJet since I'll probably be using them to return from London next June. I'm going to have to sign up for these email alerts.