Matchmaking site dedicated to travelers?

Old Dec 6th, 2000, 08:18 PM
xxx

Matchmaking site dedicated to travelers?

Does anyone out there by any chance know of a website that is dedicated to travelers as well as offering personals? As a single woman who loves to travel, I would like to find a man who also shares the travel bug. Any suggestions?

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Inky

May have helped if you had put your email address, yeah?

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 08:12 AM
lola

I certainly can understand why XXX doesn't need to give her email address! Besides, it's an interesting question for others as well. I have heard of a newsletter called Travel Connection published somewhere on Long Island (Jerico?), but don't know about web. Have you tried a search engine?

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Mike Murphy

http://www.marionsmithsingles.com/singleshome.htm . I think it's what you're looking for.

My former SO belonged to this group and her continued subscriptions to their newsletter(s) and attending their events - after we got together - was reason # 349 why I packed it in w/her.
--
mjm

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 04:22 PM
Jayelle

You can also try the Thorn Tree section of www.lonelyplanet.com. Look for the "Travelling Companions" topic.

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 05:14 PM
xxx

Mike,
I took a glance at the website group that your former SO used, but unfortunately it is dedicated to NY singles and I'm on the West Coast.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:54 PM
Christina

I know several WEB sites trying to match travel companions to save money, but not for social reasons (one specifically has "we are not a dating club" splashed across it). IMO, as a former marketing major, these people are missing the boat and a big business opportunity by not incorporating a forum/personals ads into their sites, it would be pretty easy. You are on AOL, that was my best suggestion, as it is the only personals/social online place I know of that has particular "interest" circles that you can sign up in (travel is one) and you fill out a special little form that is more extensive than usual maybe on travel info. Not sure of the details, but I know they have interest groups. So, that is better than nothing, although basically it is just a regular personals ads service. The pluses of it are that AOL is huge so there is a wide audience and AOL has opened many of their functions to nonAOL users to get more publicity and revenue, and the personals ads are one of them, so that makes the community even larger; also you can search the ads by some criteria. Not sure quite how it works but if you are nonAOL, you go to www.aol.com on the internet, then enter the "People" section, and then enter the "Love@AOL" section, and then I think there is info on the "circles" interest groups you can join. From within AOL, things operate basically the same, except to get there I think you type "love" as an AOL keyword into the search browser line. This is a real good idea, actually; as I said, some entrepreneur needs to get an e-business running on this.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 02:54 PM
Jeanette

This isn't only for travel lovers but if you make love of travel the highlight of your introduction- it might work wonderfully. www.match.com

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 08:28 AM
woman-on-the-go

--
I've wondered myself is any such websites like this exist (another single woman who'd like to share travel experiences).

I'll go out on a limb - live in Texas & here's my address.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Topper

Topping this for Renee who was looking for personals earlier today.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:27 PM
xxx

I'd second the suggestion of trying match.com and asking mentioning specifically that you're looking for people who love to travel as friends, penpals, etc. Its one of the higher quality singles sites.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:32 PM
andi

Also try matchmaker.com. I like it better than match.com

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:57 PM
XXX

I've met some men on match.com. Some good, some not so good - just like any other method of dating. But I can't say that I've had any luck in finding another travel junkie.

As for matchmaker.com, the caliber of men was just not up to match.com.

I'll keep trying, but would love for Fodors to help out with a special forum for singles.