Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Masseria with transport from Brindisi or Bari airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/masseria-with-transport-from-brindisi-or-bari-airport-935771/)

jubilada May 19th, 2012 02:38 PM

Masseria with transport from Brindisi or Bari airport

I have been combing trip reports, threads about Puglia, Slow Travel Book, venere etc etc and am still confused.
I know that some masserie offer transport from the airport, and on venere some indicate "car rental on site", but Italian websites being what they are I am having difficulty finding what I want. I will email places directly ( luckily partner speaks Italian quite well), but maybe someone here can help me with some choices.
We would like to spend a few days at the beginning of our trip to Puglia at a comfortable masseria with a good traditional restaurant, a pool or access to beach would be a bonus.
After a day or two we would like to have a car, and have this be as easy as possible.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

olivella May 19th, 2012 10:47 PM

You can rent a car before arriving at the airport (Bari or Brindisi). There are many car rentals such as (rentalcars, Hertz, Europcar..) or you can book a transfer from the airport to la Masseria. What a coincidence!! I'm planning a trip to Puglia at the end of October . When are you are going to leave ?

jubilada May 20th, 2012 05:03 AM

I don't want to return to the airport to rent a car after our few days of staying put, and I have heard there are other options.
I am not under the impression that all masserie have transfers, but perhaps I am wrong.
We are in the early planning stages of a trip in 2013.

ekscrunchy May 21st, 2012 03:20 AM

My guess is that most masserie would be able to arrange a taxi service, and the smaller places might even have a gratis transfer that you could ask about in an e-mail. I'm just wondering about retrieving the rental car...I know, for example, on Ischia I had a rental car delivered to my hotel for no charge, and if that is the goal, proximity to the airport is probably important. Masseria Abate in Noci is one that gets good reports; they have a restaurant.

OR: You might consider beginning the trip in Lecce, which has a good range of auto rental agencies (??)

jubilada May 21st, 2012 06:30 AM

Thanks, eks.
On trip advisor someone gave me a link to volunteeer tourist help which will apparently arrange car rentals, so I will contact them.
Masseria Abate is on our list. It sounds like it is not unreasonable to ask at the masseria re: transport. I don't even care if it is gratis, really. I just know we will arrive exhausted as we will have had intense periods of work prior to the flight, so trying to minimize inital stress!
I will enlist my Italian speaking partner in eliciting more info from masserie.

ekscrunchy May 21st, 2012 10:02 AM

OK, let us know. As long as you realize that you might have to pay, my guess is that ANY hotel will arrange an airport pick-up, via their own vehicle or a taxi.