Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Marriott or Sheraton in Frankfurt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/marriott-or-sheraton-in-frankfurt-197815/)

Melissa Apr 11th, 2002 11:25 PM

Marriott or Sheraton in Frankfurt?

After travelling around and staying in extremely modest accomodations, my very last day of my trip will be in Frankfurt....so I thought I might splurge on a nice hotel. To get United Air credit, I'm thinking of the Marriott or the Sheraton (Luxury). Do you have any experience with these hotels, and which would you recommend?

Melissa Apr 12th, 2002 11:13 AM

Anyone?

David Apr 12th, 2002 11:24 AM

With a couple of assumptions: you're flying out of Frankfurt and it's the morning after your last night. I'd pick the Sheraton at the airport. It makes it so much easier to get up walk across the enclosed bridge into the airport and start your traveling day.

Nancy Apr 12th, 2002 02:31 PM

Unless they shuttle you to the airport from the Hotel. Stay at the airport.<BR>Traffic can be very bad around the airport, at any time of the day.<BR><BR>Take as much hassel out of the trip as possible.

Bob Apr 12th, 2002 04:49 PM

We have stayed at the Sheraton a few times and for conveniece it cannot be beat. You can walk across to the American terminal and fly home.<BR><BR>When we areleaving on a Saturday or Sunday we prefer to spend the last night in Heidelberg to enjoy that town. Then get up early and cruise to the airport as traffic not that bad on the weekend. It beats spending last night in an airport.<BR><BR>But it you want a good hotel, close, the Sheraton is very nice. I do not know where the Marriott is.

Melissa Apr 13th, 2002 03:43 AM

Thank you so much! Your advice is great.

lucky Apr 13th, 2002 07:31 AM

I have stayed at the airport Sheraton many times. It has recently been re-modeled big time, and the Elite Lounge no the 9th floor is wonderful. The new restaurant is quite good..and ya can't beat it for convenience to the airport and catching a flight. It is literally attached to the airport via the skywalk from the hotel...but there ain't alot to do there at night..<BR>The Sheraton Grand Arabella is downtown not far from Romerplatz and is located just off the Zeil or walking street where all of the shopping and things are. It is a very very nice hotel..has a great spa and a hotel to spluge on..The Thai restaurant and the Sushi restaurant are quite good.<BR>I am not stayed at the Marriott, but have seen it. It is in an excellent location.<BR>Lastly, ya might want to check out the LeMeridien Parkhotel. Quite nice and quaint. Located in a quiet neighborhood 5 minute walk from the Bahnhof..stayed there recently and enjoyed it alot.<BR>...what would I do..If you have a morning flight I would probably stay at the airport Sheraton the last night..because it is so convenient. With the new re-model it is quite nice also. I would then spend the afternoon and evening in downtown FRA and take a taxi or the train back to the Sheraton at the airport. Can't recall for sure, but I think either 6 or 7 stops from the airport is the downtown area where you will want to be. In either case train or taxi..bout 15-20 minute ride.

Melissa Apr 13th, 2002 10:48 AM

Thanks Lucky, I forgot to add that I leave the next day at 1 PM. So I have time to oversleep + get all my luggage to the airport if need be. I think the train from downtown may be out because of all my luggage....Or maybe I could stay at the airport Sheraton, but catch the train IN to town to look around & shop?

lucky Apr 13th, 2002 12:06 PM

I think that is what I am telling you to do...that being..stay at the airport Sheraton..and takethe train or taxi to and from downtown to the hotel. It may not be a multiple choice question. When you check into the Sheraton at the airport..see what you need to do to be able to go to the Concierge Lounge/ Elite Lounge on the 9th floor.

Kurt Apr 16th, 2002 05:14 AM

The airport Sheraton unsed to be the largest hotel in Europe - don't know what replaced it, something even bigger, I guess. If you like huge "convention style" hotels, and want to walk to your check-in gate, it's a fine. Last September we stayed at a new Steigenberger Esprit hotel adjacent to the airport cargo area. As I recall it was only about US$80 for a double - very reasonable. They offer shuttles to the terminals.