Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Marriott Hotel - Dalmahoy in Edinburgh, Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/marriott-hotel-dalmahoy-in-edinburgh-scotland-899434/)

Sojourner_M Jul 19th, 2011 11:23 AM

Marriott Hotel - Dalmahoy in Edinburgh, Scotland

We are planning a trip to Edinburgh and I can use points to stay at the Dalmahoy in Edinburgh - it says it's 7 miles from city center and the only forum posts I can find on this are from 2005. Does anyone know if it is reasonably easy to get a bus from the hotel into the city center? The 2005 posts mention a bus route just outside the gate - but when I check the hotel website, it says the bus station is 8 miles away, but it doesn't mention bus stops... I could also stay at the Edinburgh Marriott but it doesn't look as interesting from the pictures. Any advice is welcome.

unclegus Jul 19th, 2011 11:49 AM

there are bus stops right outside the hotel,but the main hotel is a good bit away from the main road,If you have a car take that to the park and ride at Hermiston gate and the the bus from there.£1.30 per journey or £3.20 for a day ticket whick lets you use any of the lothian buses all day.

janisj Jul 19th, 2011 11:54 AM

The <u>bus station</u> is 8 miles away - not the bus <i>stop</i>. The bus station where the bus heads to is in central Edinburgh.

I personally wouldn't stay there w/o a car for sure. Even then it is about 30 minutes outside the city. The bus that stops just outside the hotel grounds -- maybe a 10 minute walk - would take much longer. If you want a get away and relax -- sure. But not as a base to tour Edinburgh unless you have a car, but then you have to deal w/ driving/parking.

I wouldn't stay at either Marriott if I had a choice. Neither one is in a very good location. But the Edinburgh Marriott is a shorter bus trip into the city center.

Sojourner_M Jul 19th, 2011 12:22 PM

Thank you unclegus and janisj. janisj - I'm only staying at the marriott because I have rewards points i can use and avoid paying for the stay. Although I might prefer one of the other hotels - you can't beat a free stay :) I'd rather save my money for other things!

janisj Jul 19th, 2011 12:46 PM

Just factor in the hassle of getting in/out of Edinburgh. And it WILL be a hassle. Free is good of course -- but it isn't always a great 'bargain'.

If you rent a car and us the Dalmahoy as a base for day trips round about -- the Borders, Linlithgow/Blackness Castle, and in to Edinburgh -- it is fine.

But to visit Edinburgh for several days by public transport -- not so much.

alanRow Jul 19th, 2011 01:55 PM

The buses that run past the hotel are run by First Group unlike the buses within Edinburgh which are run by Lothian Buses.

It's a long walk from hotel entrance to the main road even though the bus stops within yards of the main entrance.

The services that do stop there are the 27/28/X27/X28

joannyc Jul 19th, 2011 03:58 PM

Maybe you could split up your stay with a few days at the Edinburgh Marriott and a few days at the Dalmahoy. Too bad that Marriott doesn't offer the Europe Hopper reward anymore.

You can check on marriottrewardsinsiders.com to see what folks there say.

Sojourner_M Jul 26th, 2011 07:07 PM

Thank you for the replies!