Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Marozzi Bus in Sorrento, Italy: where does it depart? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/marozzi-bus-in-sorrento-italy-where-does-it-depart-350127/)

Johnmango Apr 26th, 2008 12:01 AM

Marozzi Bus in Sorrento, Italy: where does it depart?

We are in Sorrento now and have bought 2 bus tickets on line, for the Marozzi bus leaving Sorrento for Rome at 6 a.m. in a few days.

The e-ticket only says departure from Circumvesuviana Station, which is a train station. When we arrived in Sorrento from Rome a few days ago we were dropped off at the Corso Italia street outside the station (not the Piazza Tasso); but I have also read that the bus departs from the Piazza Tasso somewhere in this forum.

So I am confused exactly where does the bus depart in Sorrento? even the Piazza Tasso is fairly big (about 2 blocks) and I couldn't find any sign saying 'Marozzi'. With all our luggages I don't want to wait at one end of the square and every time a bus comes we have to run to find out what bus is that.

Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!

Zerlina Apr 26th, 2008 12:26 AM

If your e-ticket says the bus departs from Circumvesuviana Station, it's a fairly safe bet that the bus departs from there and not from Piazza Tasso, whatever you may have read in this forum.

The street outside the train station is the de facto bus station of Sorrento.

adrienne Apr 26th, 2008 03:00 AM

The bus from Rome does drop you off at Piazza Tasso but I can't imagine that the return bus could stay at Piazza Tasso for the time it takes to board passengers and load luggage as there's too much traffic and pedestrian activity there. The buses to the Amalfi coast leave from the train station so I would believe what's printed on your ticket.

kybourbon Apr 26th, 2008 03:22 AM

When I used it, it departed from Piazzo Tasso. The departure is so early there is no problem with the bus sitting there while loading luggage. There was a outdoor bar on the piazza where everyone was getting coffee to take on board including the bus driver. I don't remember if we stopped at the train station to pick up other passengers when we were leaving Sorrento. The bus was sitting there waiting when we got to the Piazza. I don't recall any other busses in the area. At 6am there isn't much going on.

SeaUrchin Apr 26th, 2008 07:53 AM

When I caught that bus it was on P. Tasso also, parked by the lookoff point with the flags. It was parked there for a while so if you get there early enough you will be able to see where it is.

You may want to check at the place where you bought the tickets but good luck with that.

Jean Apr 26th, 2008 09:00 AM

Johnmango, are you staying in a hotel in Sorrento? If so, ask the reception staff.

Jean Apr 26th, 2008 09:10 AM

The bus company's website:

www.marozzivt.it

It's in Italian only, but it reflects line 22R leaving Stazione Circumvesuviana at 6:00 a.m. and arriving Roma Stazione Tiburtina at 9:45 a.m.

Johnmango May 4th, 2008 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the help.

I couldnīt get to an internet cafe to post a message ...

We did arrive back in Rome safely. We booked and bought the tickets on line at the Marozzi website and it does not say where exactly the bus departs (as per my original posting).

I asked at the hotel desk and they sid Piazza Tasso; But I asked also at the tourist information and also later at a local travel agency: they both assured me that the bus stops right in front of the Circumvesuviana train station. So we waited in front of the station and at 6 a.m. there came the bus. Then later it makes a stop at the piazza below the train station, but did not make a stop at the Piazza Tasso. At least thatīs what happend to our bus.

The bus trip back was great: didnīt have to change trains at Naples, and the trip took exactly 3 hours and 45 mins. No traffic jam at that hour so early in the morning. The bus trip down from Rome to Sorrento was another story: it took about 5 hours because of the slow traffic around Sorrento.

SeaUrchin May 4th, 2008 12:25 PM

I think the bus leaves P. Tasso and then stops at the train station and then, like you say, down to P. Lauro. Glad it worked out fine for you.

Johnmango May 5th, 2008 11:21 AM

Yes - that's probably what happened, even though when the bus showed up at the station we were the first one who got on and there was nobody on the bus; thatīs probably because no one boarded at Tasso Piazza where the bus started.

At least now we know, for other travellers who may have the same question.