Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Marmite question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/marmite-question-823383/)

basingstoke2 Jan 25th, 2010 07:58 AM

Marmite question

Does Marmite need refrigeration after opening? I have always kept it in the fridge but that makes it difficult to spread. It seems people either love it or hate it - but for me, Marmite on buttered toast is delicious.

flanneruk Jan 25th, 2010 08:02 AM

Personally, I think it ought to be incinerated well before opening.

But, no. It's been in use since the days fridges were an undreamt-of luxury. And no-one would frigerate these days.

No more than they'd put an Oxo jar in the fridge.

alihutch Jan 25th, 2010 08:03 AM

Don't think do....what does it say on the jar? With all that salt you should be fine...

basingstoke2 Jan 25th, 2010 08:13 AM

It is not mentioned on the jar and in the small amount used, does not add much salt to your daily intake.

Jay_G Jan 25th, 2010 08:26 AM

As flanner says, no need to refrigerate.

You must also be missing out on an integral part of Marmite on toast; managing the hanging tendrils of runny Marmite on your knife and trying to avoid coating the outside of the jar as you make a last-ditch dive for your rapidly cooling toast.

No butter for me thanks.

nona1 Jan 25th, 2010 08:55 AM

no, if you refrigerate it, it goes all hard and granular.

It'll keep in a cupboard for years.

julia_t Jan 25th, 2010 09:02 AM

Good heavens no, don't put it in the fridge, as nona says it will keep for ages in a cupboard.

We just finished a 3yo jar of Guinness flavoured Marmite which we found lurking at the back of the larder shelf.

It's also yummy on crumpets or English muffins toasted for breakfast or afternoon tea. (Though recently we have re-discovered the intriguing delights of Patum Peperium)

nona1 Jan 25th, 2010 09:07 AM

I'm sitting here drooling over the thought of thick hot dripping buttered white toast with marmite.

Sadly, I'm on a diet.
It isn't the same without dollops of butter.

tod Jan 25th, 2010 09:12 AM

I can't stand Marmite (the vegetarian version of Bovril) Now Bovril..........that is absolutely the best thing on hot buttered toast! Never white - only wholewheat will do.

julia_t Jan 25th, 2010 09:17 AM

YES!

Someone else who likes Bovril on toast!

Now when dear Chumley Warner sees these posts he will have a fit, he believes Bovril is only good for drinking on football terraces.

Bovril also works on muffins, but is not so good on crumpets.

alihutch Jan 25th, 2010 09:26 AM

and in the small amount used, does not add much salt to your daily intake.

I didn't mean it form a health point of view, just a preserving point of view!

PatrickLondon Jan 25th, 2010 09:26 AM

>>Bovril also works on muffins, but is not so good on crumpets.<<

Ever so slightly dreading CW's take on both muffin and crumpet.

flanneruk Jan 25th, 2010 09:30 AM

It'll certainly be mulish.

Or is he too young to remember?

ThinGorjus Jan 25th, 2010 09:35 AM

Satan invented Marmite to make little boys cry at the breakfast table.

Thin

julia_t Jan 25th, 2010 09:39 AM

LOL flanner.

For those others too young to remember...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cX07V4iwBM

julia_t Jan 25th, 2010 09:47 AM

I think the thing with Marmite is you have to grow up eating it, from the age of around 6-7 months when you can just about hold a toast soldier in your fat little fist and shove a bit of it in your mouth.

All my 4 children have grown up as Marmite lovers, as both their father and I are.

My little boys (now 17) have never cried at the breakfast table because of Marmite!

Marmite is a way of life.

And with all those B vitamins it's also good for hangovers. (Actually all this talk of Marmite is making me salivate - but a teaspoonful straight from the jar will sort that out!)

PatrickLondon Jan 25th, 2010 09:57 AM

>>It'll certainly be mulish.<<

They can't touch you for it.

Personally I love Marmite. Never had it for breakfast though, as far as I can recall.

Cholmondley_Warner Jan 25th, 2010 09:59 AM

Now when dear Chumley Warner sees these posts he will have a fit, he believes Bovril is only good for drinking on football terraces.

Bovril also works on muffins, but is not so good on crumpets.>>>

You do NOT put bloody Bovril on baked goods. It's Beef TEA innit you heathens.

There are two places in the world where a cup of hot Bovril is Ambrosia beyind words.

The first is the terrace of an old northern footy ground at half time having watched halfwits kick each other.

And the second (and this may just be me) is after a long swimming class in chlorine water, after a shower etc. With your Dad (the Bovril not the shower). In the caff.

Then walking out into bright sunlight and being blinded.

And now to the main thing: Chilling marmite serves the same puropse as chilling Brandy - none - it's indestructable. You may as well chill gravel.

Cholmondley_Warner Jan 25th, 2010 10:02 AM

>>It'll certainly be mulish.<<

They can't touch you for it.>>>

No but you don't want to miss out on the kissing.

alihutch Jan 25th, 2010 10:19 AM

Ach, C-W! You have just brought back my swimming club days in a pool with so much chlorine there was a vapour above the it, which gave us all red eyes....but sadly no Bovril for me; sweet hot milk (yuck!) while sitting under the hair dryer when I got home...