Search

Marmaris or Fethiye (Turkey)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marmaris or Fethiye (Turkey)

Hi,

With refrence to my earlier post, I am quite confused between Marmaris or Fethiye. I want to choose one between them, so would really appreciate if someone could suggest the better place between them. As some articles have raving reviews about Marmaris and at the same time my agent is suggesting Fethiye. Please suggest.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marmaris is one of the few places I really will return to (I do go back to Malaga alot but that's because its convenient. I haven't been to Fethiye but have heard nice things about it. If its anything like Alanya then go to Marmaris. I can definitely vouch for Marmaris, but it depends on what it is you want. Its great for sun and friendliness and its cheap (in a nice sort of way). If you want something on the quiet side there are places near to Marmaris that would fit the bill perfectly.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Only you can know which is the better place for yourself.

How can you ask if the italian Riviera or the French Riviera is better? from which perspective?

Fethiye and Marmaris have a number of satellite resorts each with their own ambience and uniqueness. The towns themselves are also different. Even the humidity and the day and night time temperatures and winds are different in different months.
The dominant nationality of tourists at different resorts are also different and their social, cultural, economic background are different. The scenery is different, the beaches have different types of sand, even the driving habits are different.

If it is significant for you, Marmaris has two Indian restaurants and Fethiye proper does not but there is at least one at Hisaronu about 30 minutes from fethiye. I only ate at Taj Mahal at Marmaris and did not think their meal and even their naan was as good as that which we can make at home.

Read about them, definitely check a decent map of the areas, look at photos, check the accommodation and prices and decide yourself.

I would prefer Hillside Beach Club near Fethiye in June or October or Hayit Buku at Datca Peninsula about an hour from Marmaris at any time in the Summer for a holiday , because I like either sedentary luxury or simple chill-out places in nature from which I can make excursions, and also because I have been to Fethiye and Marmaris and environs multiples of times since 1964.