COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Marking your turf in London

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Mallory

Marking your turf in London

Is there a place you always have to go back to when you revisit London?

We feel like we haven't really returned to London until we have been back to Covent Garden. We have friends who feel that way until they go stand in front of Buckingham Palace.

How about you? Anyplace you always have to visit when you return to London?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Kimberley

Harrod's!!!!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:21 AM
JOdu

La Famiglia restaurant and Portobello Rd for me...and The Imperial war Museum for MDH

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Merilee

Le Petit Prince Restaurant in the Kentishtown section of London.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Laura

Absolutely have to go to the Pizza Express on Coptic by the British Museum. It's one of the first things we do every time we go to London. And then the next day, we find a a really neat looking pub and have a ploughman's with cheddar and a shandy. (I know, I know, but I can't help it, I love shandies!!)

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Dave

Well, Laura, at least you're not the only one who enjoys a shandy....but they are better in the summer! I never feel like I'm back in London until I've been back to Gig's Fish Bar in the West End. I've been going there for over 20 years, and while I'm sure that it won't be long before they close up shop,,,,,its nice to have some consistency in one's travels....Hope someone else has a chance to stop by there next time thru London....

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:46 AM
janis

Goya - a small tapa bar and restaurant in Pimlico. I like to go there late at night after the theatre and have tapas and coffee Royales.

Also standing on Westminster bridge or the observation deck at the OXO Tower.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Mel

White Lion pub in Covent Garden for a chicken/ham/mushroom pie washed down with a Caffrey's.

A walk down Cromwell/Brompton Road from Gloucester to the Brompton Oratory for Sunday morning Mass, followed by french toast for breakfast at the French place across the street (JOdi, what IS the name of that and why can't I ever remember it???)

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:59 AM
mike

The Tube.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Ann

Absolutely, Mike! I went back to London two years ago after several years away and the one thing I couldn't wait to do was get on The Tube. I was like a little kid in an amusement park. Other people may mention major landmarks and historical sites, but to me nothing says London like the Underground.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Patrick

We've rented the same flat in Covent Garden five or six times now. As the car pulls up in front of it on little cobblestoned Floral Street, a small sign for the trendy shop below us sticks out into the street right next to our front door. It is a simple red sign with the name of the shop -- "HOME". So now we know when we see that sign that we are indeed, "home".

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Betsy

Are you kidding?!! You haven't arrived in London until you go to Trafalgar and sit at the fountains.

So many things to love about London, don't you think?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Morning Giggle

The National Gallery, to see all my old favorite paintings and eat at the Brasserie.

Then a walk up to Hatchard's bookstore in Picadilly. Then I know I'm in London.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Shannon

Hog & The Pound, Oxford Street, and the best little pub in Middle Temple that you have to look hard to find.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Philip

I always have to hear those three words of love: "Mind the gap!"

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:30 AM
Rachel

I have to stand in front of Big Ben and hear the chimes first. Nothing else sounds more like England!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:21 AM
jpm

This may seem silly but there is a very small Chinese place just around the corner from the Theater where Les Mis plays. Basically it is a counter and two tables - but the food is good and the price is cheap. So far, I've managed to eat there on every trip.

Also, always manage to eat one lunch St. Martin's - usually right before or right after visting the National Gallery.