Search

Markets near St Germain area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM
mrk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Markets near St Germain area

Where are the markets in the St. Germain area? When are they held? Days and hours?
What is your favorite thing to buy there?
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:02 AM

From your question, it sounds like you are definitely referring to the periodic roving markets, not just permanent market streets. There are only two that I can think of that are somewhat close -- one is the one in the Latin Qtr at place Maubert (Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays), and the oner is on bde Raspail between rue du Chreche-Midi and Rennes. That one is Tuesdays and Fridays (and on Sundays, but then it is organic).

I don't buy much at street markets, and don't have a favorite thing as it depends what things look like when I'm there. A lot of the stuff isn't going to be appropriate unless you have a household and kitchen to stock (fresh vegetables, etc.). I don't snack much, though, and if you do want to eat on the spot, some cheese can be nice.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:48 AM
mrk
Original Poster

I guess I am confused about this topic. I have been to Charleston, S.C. a lot and was thinking of something like the market there. It sells jewelry, fabric,etc.
I have a 15 daughter who wants to shop but I don't want to get too far away. We only have 3 days in Paris.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Parisian street markets are primarily fresh food products - there might be a stall here or there for 'souvenirs' but you might spend time chasing that down and not find anything.

You are looking for a "crafts" or art market...the only one I know of is the Marche de la Creation held on Sunday mornings on blvd Edgar Quinet (14th). You could take the metro from St Germain des Pres, Odeon, or St Sulpice to Raspail.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:34 AM
mrk
Original Poster

Thanks
We have four hours on a Tues. morning to shop and we are staying in the St. Germain area. Would you suggest the Rue de Buci? What time do stores open?
We are not big time shoppers but my daughter would love to find a bargain on a purse.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:56 AM

The street market on rue de Seine and rue de Buci is mainly a food market, and it is no longer as large as it was five years ago. There may be a few trinkets (refrigerator magnets, postcards) on rue de Buci. Your daughter may have more luck shopping at the indoor Marché Saint-Germain.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM

There's a nice purse/leather store on the corner of the rue Buci and rue Mazarine. And directly across the street is a store my daughter loves that sells silver jewelry (mostly from North Africa) by the wieght. There are other stores in the area where your daughter might enjoy shopping, but they're not part of the market, per se.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM

"Purse Shopping in Paris"
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34556014