"Markets in London

Oct 23rd, 1997, 05:19 PM
Jake

"Markets in London

Any advice on shopping the "Markets" in London in 2 weeks?

Oct 24th, 1997, 05:09 AM
sabrina

Jake, there's not much in the way of "markets" that would take your entire attention for 2 weeks, though other respondants may disagree. The biggest is, of course, Camden Town market, which has every conceivable thing - antiques, clothing, food, etc,; Then there is also the Covent Garden stalls in the piazza area. This is equally diverse by way of goods to buy (antiques, crafts, clothes, pictures), and walking into the opposite direction towards Neal St. you'll come across interesting knick-knack type shops (such as Neal Street East).
There is a smaller market by St. Martin-in-the-Woods church close to Trafalgar Square, and a similar one in Picadilly (again in Church grounds but can't recall the name off-hand - close to Hatchards bookshop). Those are the key ones I can think of.

Oct 24th, 1997, 09:09 AM
Cindy

On my last trip to London, I spent almost an entire day at Portobello Road market. It has everything from antiques to jewelry to food to CD's to electronics to clothes. Everything from the funky to the sedate! Great way to find some unique items to take home while being thoroughly entertained! Saturday is the best day to go, but start early (around 9 am) because in a few hours the number of shoppers quadruples. Nearest tube is Notting Hill Gate if I remember correctly.

Search this Thread