Markets in Florence and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2023, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in knowing what markets (food, flea, etc.) in Florence and Rome that people regard as some of the best and most fun. Travel dates are the end of March/beginning of April. Does anyone have recommendations for some you have enjoyed?
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 02:28 PM

Testaccio market in Rome has the advantage for a cool, rainy day of being under a roof. Lots to see, although TBH I didn’t find the balsamic vinegar I was looking for…
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 06:48 PM

You'll find lots of Rome market info at this web site Testaccio was fun, but our favorite was Trionfale which is about midway between Ottaviano and Cipro subway stations.
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 07:40 PM

The San Lorenzo Outdoor Market is well worth a visit. However I do question whether the leather goods are made in Florence or a third world country. Check for fake leather (I use the sniff test!). The market is next to the indoor produce market - Mercato Centrale - and this too is worth a visit.

Old Feb 1st, 2023, 03:36 AM
J62

One market I no longer recommend is Campo di Fiori. Ages ago it was a lively early morning hub of produce, meats, fish, bread, etc. Being there at sunrise you felt immersed in old Italy. While there are still some of those and it's a good place to pick up some fresh fruit or provisions for the day, it has become much more of a place to buy cheap imported clothes, housewares and tourist tsotchkes. If you do go, go very early to avoid the crowds of tourists from all around the globe looking for that authentic Italy experience.

Old Feb 15th, 2023, 11:15 AM

i like the Mercato Latino in Rome. We take a taxi, it's easier. Produce, flowers, soap, pasta and cheese shops as well as bulk evoo and prosecco. Buy a vacuum or have it repaired and more. The reason we went the first time - the cheese shop will vacuum pack your cheese (hard cheeses) for the flight home. There's a plethora of options and I've never had a problem bringing home the hard cheeses. Soft cheese is another story. We also like to sit and have a glass of wine while shopping. Last May we were in there and bought a pint of strawberries and took them outside to eat. First bite - the angels sang. OMG
Old Feb 15th, 2023, 04:11 PM

Close to the duomo there is the central market:

https://flic.kr/p/a3YLQn