Maribel you're the BEST - Thanks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just back from 8 days in Spain and I couldn't have done it without Maribel!!! After planning for what seemed like forever, I arrived in Madrid with Maribel's files in hand and hit the streets. First stop - The Prado. It was a Saturday and although the file says it's free after 2:30, that has changed, but the best part is that we arrived and found a line about 1 hour long. My husband said let's come back later, but I checked the file and saw Maribel's "south entrance" listed near the gardens - sure enough, we walked right in!!! I couldn't belive it. I knew from that moment on that we wouldn't be making a move without the files in hand. We followed your instructions on where/how to store your luggage in Cordoba and rushed to the Mezquita before the tour groups got there - what a great suggestion - at 11am when they arrived it was not quite the same. We had a great time, loved Seville and southern Spain the best, had easy transfers via train/plane/bus, and never made a bad restaurant choice all thanks to you Maribel!!! I can't thank you enough - where are you travelling to next? Can you create a file and let us know so we can plan on following you around the world!?!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:08 AM
PJI

Maribel, although I must be the millionth requestor - could you please send me your files also? [email protected]

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:06 AM

ladybug - any other details you want to share would be greatly appreciated!

I am leaving in 4 weeks to do a similar trip - I have Maribel's files, so I feel well prepared as well.

I'll definitely use the south entrance at the Prado!

Thanks, and glad you had a great trip. How was the weather? I'm thinking raincoat with liner and layers, but wanted to get your sense of how cold it was.

Karen
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Is there any way someone can forward me Maribel's files? I'm going Spain in March and would appreciate all the help I can get ! I'm going to Barcelona and Madrid.

Please send to [email protected].

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:47 AM

I was wondering if someone could help me locate Maribel's files, I am heading to spain in March and would like some help with the planning. I can be reached at [email protected]
thank you so much.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:04 AM

I would also like the Maribel files I am planning a trip to Spain in early march. [email protected]
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I've requested the infamous Maribel files on another thread, but I'm dying to get them....Will anybody please send them to me at [email protected]. Please!?!? I'm headed to Spain in late April and am currently making reservations and the like.

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Karen,

I'm sure you will have a great trip. The weather was wierd. We had layers with a raincoat and was fine for the most part. In one day we were cold walking around in the morning, but by afternoon we were carrying our coats it was so warm. Be sure to bring gloves and a scarf, there were days we definately needed them. As for details - If going to Granada try and buy tickets for the Alhambra before you leave. We saw many people who took the bus up, only to find it was 3-4 hours before they could go into the palaces. While there are other things to see, in the winter you don't tend to stay outside for that long. We bought our tickets here and went up about 1/2 hour before our entrance time - no problems and no lines! Bring lots of film- amazing things to see - we went through 7 rolls in 8 days. Maribel's advice about buying train tickets in advance was also a winner - we picked them up in Madrid airport and had no problems. One tip - Renfe website says you can only buy one "trip" per person until your credit card is on file, but we used 2 different cards in my husbands name and one in mine and we were able to buy 3 legs of our trip that way. If going to the South at all, buy your gifts there - better selection and prices. As for food - Cal Pep in Barcelona was great - no menus - look at what everyone else is eating and order that, but they open at 1:30 now we were there at 1:10 so we waited, smart move, by 1:40 standing room only. Also, El Bouy in Madrid was our favorite, cook your own staek on a sizzling plate!! Casablanca in Seville also amazing. Have fun and wear comfortable shoes!! I'll be happy to answer any questions, just let me know!
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Hi ladybug98,
Thanks so much for your kind note. I'm really glad you enjoyed your trip so much, and if I could play a teeny part in that, it makes me very happy. Also glad you dined well at Cal Pep, Casablanca and El Buey (a very important element to a successful trip for me! )
You found a very good way around the Renfe Tiknet system for first time users, which I'll remember and suggest to others.
Thanks for the tip!

To others,
I just returned from a post Xmas through New Year's trip to Paris, so it will take me a while to catch up on email requests, so please be patient. If you will send your request to
[email protected], I'll try to send you the Madrid info as soon as I can.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Maribel, thank you for your devotion to Spanish and Portuguese Travel. If you get time over the next month or two, an opinion of Tivoli Palacio de Seteais in Sintra and things Sintra would be very much appreciated. Should you ever require information on Australia please email me.
My wife is still trying to locate that small timber constructed restaurant in a small bay which is estimated to be a 15 minute speedboat ride from Lloret de Mar and where she waded to the beach holding her handbag high in the air on a journey to the best paella she has had - 30 years ago. Thanks again.