Maribel - Hotel Assistance in Madrid

Jun 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Maribel - Hotel Assistance in Madrid

Hi Maribel,

I’ve read your guides and they are such a wealth of information but I still need your expert advice.

My girlfriend and I are traveling for a week in October to Madrid and using Madrid as our base to take a couple of day trips to Toledo and Segovia.

Married friends of ours have decided they would like to accompany us for five of the seven nights. We are all first-time visitors to Madrid although both the married couple and I have visited other regions of Spain before. We are fifty-somethings.

We all love history and are looking forward to spending time in museums and historical portions of the city. We are not going to Madrid for the nightlife although we do want to see Flamenco.

My problem…because the married couple has asked to join us, I am attempting to please everyone involved with the Madrid hotel choice and that is no easy feat. So if I give you the parameters, could I prevail on you to help me come up with a compromise for all involved? I know I will not be able to please everyone 100% but if we could make 90%, I’d be thrilled.

One thing the four of us definitely agree upon is price: no more than 200 Euros per night ($250USD)

My girlfriend and I require

Twin beds in a decent size room (since we are going to be in the room for a week, I’d rather not have a miniscule room)
Bathroom that is fully private (so that rules out many of the boutique hotels that have the bathrooms open to the room)
Quiet (I know this is a challenge in Madrid but double-glazed windows would help and I’ll wear earplugs if necessary)
Safe area
Close enough to walk to museums (or at least close to a metro station)

My girlfriend and I would prefer

Reasonably priced buffet breakfast - if none, hotel to be in an area where cafes are plentiful
Internet access
Common room - lobby where we could sit and read

Married couple want

Double bed (would take two twins pushed together if necessary)
2 Chairs in room (not a separate sitting area but somewhere to sit in the room)
Calming colors in bedroom
Nice size bathroom
Close enough to walk to museums (or at least close to a metro station)

Married couple would like

Internet access (or close proximity to internet café - they will be checking up on their business while they are in Madrid)
Restaurant in hotel with decent meals (I think they would be OK if no restaurant but restaurants close by)
Mini-bar

I’ve been looking at the following hotels:

Hotel De Las Letras - according to their website I can get a non-refundable, pay in advance on a basic room for around 160 Euros per night. I’m a little concerned about the noise levels though

Hotel Catalonia Las Cortes- on their website October 11 & 12 are 195 Euros per night and then the rest of the week goes down to 155 Euros.

Hotel El Prado - 156 Euros per night.

I’ve also looked at the, Lope de Vega (rooms not available), Hotel Opera as well as others and basically have stressed myself out with trying to please everyone!

As a side note, the wife of the married couple tends to panic and want to book right away. She has been checking Expedia/TripAdvisor and has noticed the Best Western Atlantico gets rave reviews. Is there a particular reason you don’t include it in your very comprehensive guide?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Deb
Jun 21st, 2009, 11:03 AM

Hi Deb,
The particular reason why I don't include the Best Western Atlántico is that I'm not a fan at all of that stretch of the very busy, hectic Gran Vía, which is sometimes described as Madrid's Broadway (given the abundance of cinemas, theaters, fast food places, etc). That area I just don't find appealing or highly attractive at all due to the congestion, noise, constant hustle and bustle. It's just not a part of the city where I like to spend my time and don't. But that's just me.

Having said that, the Hotel de las Letras on the Gran Vía, but on the eastern and more pleasant stretch (at least to me) seems to me the hotel that would best fit most all of your requirements and preferences. I've been in the street side rooms, and I was amazed how well the double glazing did work. Also you would have spacious and private baths. The baths that I saw had double sinks.

This hotel does appeal to a somewhat younger crowd and lovers of "design" hotels. There's a "chill out" roof terrace and a more "trendy-hip" vibe.

The Catalonia Las Cortes has for me a better location near the museum triangle and does serve dinners in its downstairs breakfast room, plus dining options abound in this area.
But here to meet all the parameters , I would book a superior room, as I've heard that some standard rooms are rather compact and wouldn't a sitting area.
The superior rooms have large beds and 4 of them have a Jacuzzi shower along with tub in the traditional (and private) baths. This is a more traditional hotel in general. No cost for the Wi-Fi.

See a photo gallery here-
www.spainby.com/lascortes/pages/gallery.htm

I fully understand your space issues-they're also mine. My only issue with the Catalonia Las Cortes is that their rates just aren't as competitive as others in the Barrio de las Letras.

The other option I see for you would be the Derby Villa Real.

The standard rooms have a split level, with bed and bathroom upstairs and leather sofa sitting area downstairs. Their jr. suites have a separate living room with leather sofa, plenty of space, and their loft suites I really like-but I haven't checked the rates for Oct.
I'm not sure that the Wi-Fi is free (cruiseluv?)
There's free Internet in the downstairs terminal though. The yet-to-be-renovated rooms are looking a bit dated. Baths are fully private, though. And recent reviews on Trip Advisor seem to be quite positive.

Hope this helps.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:58 AM

She has done it again! Well done I read this posting and thought how are you going to answer that?
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Maribel,

You are so right, ribeirascra!

Maribel, you are the best. I'll give this info to my girlfriend and then once we've decided, we will let the married couple know our decision.

Thanks a bunch.
Deb
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM

You're very welcome.
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:09 AM

Hello, i have been in Madrid in 2006 and stayed in the hotel called "High Tech Clíper Gran Vía"...its very centralised...have pc with internet free of charge dowstairs...i found it very very good...u must try it...we have chosen QUADRUPLE since we were 4 friends...it was 343 euros per 3 nights in beginning of July...very worth it

Here it its address:

Name : High Tech Clíper Gran Vía
Address : Chinchilla, 6
28013 - Madrid
Email : [email protected]
Fax n. : +34-91-5311707
Phone n. : +34-91-5311700

We booked via VENERE.COM

Hope this helps
Enjoy