Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Marco Polo Airport How Far from the dock?

Jul 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi! Can you please tell me how far the airport terminal is from the docks? We're taking the public transportation (water bus) and we have 2 large luggages and my father doesn't walk well. Are there taxis to take to the terminal? I looked on the airport website and they say that the free shuttle is "suspended". Thank you!
Jul 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that it's the ALILAGUNA bus. TIA.
Jul 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Just returned from Venice on 7/4. First, public water taxi will take you more than double the time to reach the airport and if it's crowded it will be difficult to navigate with your bags. For a few dollars (euros) more a private water taxi takes about 20-25 minutes from Venice to the airport. There are porters at the docks to assist with bags. We walked from the dock to the terminal (about 10 minutes). I'm not sure if a shuttle is available. At the dock there are steps to lug your bags fro the dock to level land. That can be difficult. A porter would help with that. We experienced a very busy terminal once we got inside Marco Polo. Make sure you allow extra time for check in. Best of luck.
Jul 8th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Unless things have changed greatly, "A few dollars more" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Admittedly it has been a couple of years since I was there, but at that time the Alilaguna waterbus was €10 per person (€5 to fondamente nove) whereas the water taxi was around €75.

The walk is not difficult for an able bodied person. It is flat, and takes around 10 minutes. I believe the bus still runs, but as a paid service.
Jul 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM

to contunue: Where a water taxi may make sense is if your accomodation is not near one of the main Alilaguna stops as Venice is not particularly easy for people with walking problems - there are many bridges, often with stairs.
Jul 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Hi Anne, I went to the office website as I thought the shuttle had begin running again and according to the website it has. It is the last portion under the Title "Getting To The Airport". http://www.veniceairport.it/page/ser...enza?m=2740210

Jul 8th, 2007, 11:35 AM

And of course I meant to type the official website.
Jul 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

to az530
had you pre-arranged your private water taxi, or did you just walk to the dock and get one? Would you tell me what you paid...I am seeing 110-140 Euros for a pre-booked one. dare i wait to just get one on arrival?
Thanks.
Jul 8th, 2007, 02:36 PM

When you say "docks" are you referring to the cruise ship port? We used a company that I highly endorse that picked us up for 60 E for the car, not per person. That was 9/06 so probably has gone up. They have a website: www.venice-limousine.com

Handled the luggage and were great.
Jul 9th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Jed

tropic - We arrived in Venice at about 8AM, walked 7 minutes to the dock. There were plenty of water taxis. Last Oct we paid €90 for 4 of us.
Jul 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM

There is also one Alilaguna line that is only slightly more expensive than the other Alilaguna lines, but it cuts out intermediate stops between the Airport and San Marco. I believe it's the Gold Line. It departs less frequently and is about 5E more expensive. At least it was last May when I did this trip.

I will warn you to lighten your luggage before you go. Seriously. In the event you do have to handle the bags on and off the boats yourself, it is not easy to do so when both the dock and the boat are swaying. Also, if you have to walk from the Alilaguna stop, you are likely to encounter stairs over bridges, another not-so-fun thing to do with heavy luggage. I vow if I ever return to Venice, I'll do it with carry-on only!
Jul 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I was there the week before last. The bus is not now running. It's billed as a 7 minute walk but IMO it's more like 10-15. But it's fairly level & there are trollies (you need a €1 coin). It's the same walk for either the Alilaguna boat or a water taxi - the docks are almost next to each other.

Alternatively you can get a land bus to Piazzale Roma from right outside the terminal.

Willit is right about that "a few dollars more" - the Alilaguna boat is €12 each and a watertaxi is at least €90-100.

I think you need to consider the full journey - where are you staying ? Is it near Piazzale Roma or near one of the Alilaguna stops ?
Jul 9th, 2007, 08:32 AM

P.S. The Alilaguna "conductor" lifted my case on & off for me.
Jul 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi! Thanks for all of your replies. We stayed one block away from the Rialto bridge so the Alilaguna stop was 2 minutes away. The shuttle bus is NOT running at the airport, so the walk was 15 minutes for us. It's fairly a straight walk, and thankfully, it wasn't raining, although thundershowers were in the forecast. The Alilaguna took about an hour to get to the airport, but it was worth it for the 12 Euros. Thanks again!
Jul 10th, 2007, 12:12 PM

If you can afford 95 euro for the water taxi as opposed to the Alilaguna water bus, I would highly recommend it. Unless your hotel happens to right at the foot of the Alilaguna stop you'll have to walk or grab a Venice water bus (vaporetto) and then walk some more--the water taxi will get you closer to your hotel. If your hotel has a water entrance, the water taxi can get you right to your hotel door.