Marco Polo Airport

Search

Marco Polo Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marco Polo Airport

We are 3 couples flying into Venice in June. Originally, we were all arriving at the same time (two different airlines). However, our flight was changed by Alitalia and will now be arriving an hour later than our friends. They are flying in on Lufthansa. Is there somewhere we can tell them to meet us (none of us are checking bags). We will not have purchased phones yet. Also, can we purchase train tickets to Florence at the airport? Has anyone used a private water taxi (as there are 6 of us I thought this might be the way to go) Thank you.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 07:55 AM

Venice airport is small. There is window that sells bus tickets (still inside the terminal); you can meet there. You can't buy train tickets in the airport. Airport buses are cheap (3 euro, 30 min to Piazzale Roma in Venice). Water taxis much more expensive.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:08 AM

But the water taxis are the same price for six as for one, so it will still cost lots more than the bus, but it will save you time. Your choice. I've done the bus, but my water taxi was cancelled because of heavy fog.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:22 AM
P_M

I was just there 10 months ago and here is my suggestion for a good meeting place. You are not checking bags but you will still go past baggage claim. After that you will enter another big area that leads outside. Look to the right and you will see a coffee shop. Your friends can wait for you there.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:03 AM
P_M

Just to clarify, the coffee shop is inside.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Something that’s not quite clear? Are you staying in Venice first?

If so, then I’d suggest the water taxi. It will cost about 100 euro for you all - which sounds a lot – but it will get you close to your hotel. The alternative – bus to Piazzale Roma, and then a vaporetto down the grand canal. That will mean probably a bit of a walk.

A suggested meeting point at the airport – the Venice Link counter in arrivals (after you exit customs etc). Turn left after you exit arrivals, and it’s a few yards. This may help - http://www.venicelink.com/index.php?...1&lang=english

Have a drink at the bar while you wait for your friends.

Venice Connected can manage a water taxi booking for you – you can do it on the spot, or in advance. We used the shared water taxi, but with a party of six, the shared thing makes no sense – cheaper to take the taxi yourself.

From my on-going tri report:

So we Emirated our way across the globe, fetching up at about 45deg 15m N, 12deg 19m E, in Venice, arriving in real style per taxi, threading our way through the Rio di Santa Giustina (sound horn at the intersection with the Rio di San Francesco), the Rio di San Lorenzo which gives a good view of crumbling foundations, and the Rio dei Greci. And then that complete knock out sight, as we entered the Grand Canal, Ducal Palace and the Campanile to starboard, and the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Salute to port. There’s a line in “Wind in the Willows” – “There’s nothing so worthwhile as simply messing about in boats”, and Venice has taken this to heart. The Grand Canal is full of people simply messing about in boats. Gondolas, police boats, workboats, ambulances, waterbuses, water taxis, the lot.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. We will be in Venice for 2.5 days. Is there somewhere we can buy train tickets ahead of time besides the train station?
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM

http://trenitalia.com/ if it takes your CC. If not buy at the station
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Yes, most travel agencies in Venice
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Where are you staying in Venice? If you take the vaporetto at all while there, you are bound to go past the train station stop (Ferrovia). Hop off, run into the station and buy tickets at the counter or machines. Hop on next vaporetto. No biggie.