Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Marble Arch Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/marble-arch-inn-548184/)

Pumblechook Jul 31st, 2005 02:55 PM

Marble Arch Inn

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, of this place?

Can anyone recommend a different hotel in the Marble Arch area that can accommodate a family of 4 in a single room?

Thanks, P'chook

Pumblechook Jul 31st, 2005 03:09 PM

Whoa, just looked this place up on Trip Advisor - never mind.

Still, my 2nd question stands. Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality, mid-range hotel in the Marble Arch area with a family room?

janis Jul 31st, 2005 04:17 PM

Can't help re w/ a Marble Arch area hotel. Some other fodorites may be able to help you. But I do want to ask -- is there a specific reason you want Marble Arch?

Thare are many terrific neighborhoods that are even more convenient and have a good selection of hotels. Marble Arch is very central geographically - but is actually not as convenient as some others for most of the sites or for tube transport.

There is nothing wrong w/ it amenity-wise, so if you need to be near there for a specific reason, fine. But for a family vacation you could do better.

MaureenB Jul 31st, 2005 04:27 PM

Try Londontown.com, where you can search by neighborhood and type of hotel. We rented the Hyde Park Radnor B&B through them this past June. It's in a great, relatively quiet area, a short walk to Paddington or Hyde Park, with several little hotels on the same block.

We liked the Hyde Park Radnor well enough. It includes a full, hot breakfast which helps a family get rolling in the morning. It is very clean and well-situated. For our family of four, the room and bath we had on the third floor was quite small-- but our "kids" are old teenagers and full-sized people now. If you're interested, ask if they have a family room bigger than the third floor one.

Pumblechook Jul 31st, 2005 04:27 PM

Janis, I'm all ears ...

If you have better options I'd love to hear them. The only reason I'm nominating Marble Arch is that we stayed in that area in 2003 and it seemed quite convenient to everything. That's the only time we've been to London, so there may well be better areas that I don't know about.

I was just looking in that area because I'm familiar with it and I seem to remember that every second building seemed to be a hotel.

We stayed at the Edward Lear last time and will not be repeating that experience!

janis Jul 31st, 2005 04:46 PM

If you were happy there before you might want to stay in the same area.

But other areas are much closer to some of the sites you might want to visit (but as you know - the public transport can get you anywhere fairly easily)

Just to give you some things to compare:

South Kensington: Walking distance to the V&A, Science museum, Natural History museum, Hyde Park/Kens Gardens, Kens Palace, Harrods, Royal Albet Hall and is on 3 tube lines.

Victoria/Pimlico: Walking distance to Tate Britain, the river, Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews, Green/St James Parks and Westminster. 3 tube lines, Victoria Coach station and mainline train station.

The Strand/Covent Garden: Walking distance to the southbank arts venues, Somerset House, Trafalgar Square/Nat'l Gallery and Portrait Gallery, St Martins in the Field, Covent Garden, London Transport Museum and MANY theatres. 5 tube lines and a mainline station

Russell Square/Bloomsbury: Walking distance to the British Museum, British LibraryInns of Court, Covent Garden and on 2 tube lines

I personally think any of these 4 neighborhoods would be more convenient/fun for a family stay.