Seeing Ronda and other sights at a distance by car or train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to Spain next spring. Mostly we'll move around by train. We could rent a car but when I drive, I won't "see the sights" while I'm trying to stay on my side of the road and figure out road signs in a foreign language. So I'd prefer trains.

But I also like seeing sights from a bit of a distance, as well as right up close. For example, the view of Ronda that show that marvelous bridge across the chasm is one sight I'd like to see for myself. Toledo from a distance, the aqueduct in Segovia, etc. Is it possible, generally, to get to spots where you could see those from a wider angle than right up close, so that I do NOT absolutely HAVE TO have a car to get to viewpoints like that?

Or would we be better off renting a car even though that comes with some issues...
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 07:13 AM

I've rented a car in Spain several, possibly half a dozen, times. There have been no issues. (I admit to once passing a possible accident, with people waving for help, because of warnings from the rental agency.) It is not possible to get to the smaller villages, e.g. Ronda, by rail. The only public transportation to most of these is by bus. That is something I have never tried.

Because of the curve of the canyon, long views of the bridge in Ronda are somewhat limited. Long views of the Alhambra are best achieved by taxi, though I have not had a problem driving in Granada, with the help of GPS. Several years ago, Avis offered a combined program of rail and car rental. Depending on the time you have, such a program might be the best way for you to go.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thx Jeff801. About what I figured, from the books I've already read.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM

You want a car to see rural Andalusia---just stop when you want to see something.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM

As far as seeing the sights from afar without a car, for Toledo you can take a taxi to the Parador for some great vantage points of Toeldo. I'm not sure about what types of vantage points you can get of the aqueduct in Segovia both with and without a car. For Ronda you could probably walk or take a taxi away from the gorge for some good vantage points.

I wouldn't recommend renting a car to visit Toledo or Segovia. However, it may be nice to have for the white villages (using Ronda as a base) if you want to explore the area. You can get to Ronda by bus easily but it's just not as easy to explore the area by bus.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM

I was in Ronda last summer. Got the train there from Granada. It was quite a long trip, about 2 and a half hours, quite scenic and very comfortable. Left by bus to Malaga; buses go everywhere. Very easy. You can see the bridge in Ronda by walking into the town centre; you would not get a view of it from a car. There are a lot of vantage points. Granada is a nightmare to drive in because many of the streets in the centre are for local traffic or taxis only and the one-way system is fearful. It's easy enough to get up the hill but you will get filtered off on the one-way syatem trying to get down. You are much better using the little buses to get up to the Alhambra and Albaycin. For Toledo, it's better to get a bus/taxi up to the old town from the train station.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Ok so far. Sounds like a car for at least part of our visit in Andalusia is a good idea. Keep the advice comin' folks! Many thanks to all...
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Depending on where you are visiting in Andalucia you may only need a car for part of the time. For example, in Sevilla & Granada a car would likely be more of a pain then a plus.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM

We prefer to travel by car whenever possible -since it gives you so much more freedom. Have done it twice in Andalusia and never had a problem - either in the cities (just get a hotel with a garage) or in the towns/countryside. it let us go where we wanted when we wanted - not waiting for public transit schedules. For a single person traveling alone this might be on the pricey side - but we believe the cost is more than justified.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM
kja

I visited Ronda without a car. I took a train from Granada and a bus to Sevilla. I can't remember if I could see the bridge from the bus, but I did get some great views when leaving Ronda! I saw Toledo from a distance by walking a bit out of town. As I recall, one doesn't need to go far for a good view of Segovia's aqueduct.

Like you, I prefer to take public transportation when possible in large part because I can look without worrying about the road. The idea of taking a taxi to get to a place where you can see a view seems like a good one to me. Enjoy!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 03:41 AM

In Toledo you can cross the bridge near the old synagogue and climb the hill on the opposite side of the river for the best view of the city accessible on foot.

The bridge and gorge in Ronda is dramatically viewed from the grounds of the parador and from the area just opposite.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM

Jeff, you are wrong, there's always been train to Ronda.
Now, you cannot get a view of the gorge and bridge from the train nor the bus. There are two spots to see it, but it is tricky and the 1 mile patch of dirtroad is terrible. Anyway I'll write it:
take the road to Gaucín at Barrio de san Francisco. First you find on the right the Predicatorio, a restaurant with open fields and a great view. If you want a better one, you carry on driving to a roundabout (still houses each side of the road) and take right on the dirt track to Ermita de la Virgen de Gracia. Halfway to the right you'll see the ruins of Villa Apolo, park there and walk to the east till the edge, and that's the best view there is.
Another option is walking to the bottom of the gorge, there is an open stairway (Puerta de los Molinos). It is a great close-up; but you have to walk up afterwards.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:51 AM

One of the highlights of my trip to spain was the driving in Andalucia. Especially the drive south from Ronda to Marbella. I have read that the drive between Sevilla and Ronda is also amazing. Make sure you have good driving directions, I found our gps that I rented from EuropCar to be 50/50. Sometimes correct, but sometimes not. I will have more details on this in my trip report that I am preparing .

On the other hand, public transportation is great in Spain, and the train ride between Sevilla to Madrid on AVE was very enjoyable. If you decide not to get a car then for a great view of the Ronda bridge, you can have one from the old town, if you decide to walk down the steps. The tourist info by the bullring will give you a map and specific directions how to get there, or simply you can ask somebody in the old town, by the cathedral.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM

Don't take a car into Toledo. If you are in Toledo in the evening, there used to be a little train (kind of like those trains in parks and zoos) that went from the central plaza and circled the city through the mountains. It started running about 5:00 P.M. and took about an hour. The views were great.
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 12:10 PM

Bookmark