Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Marais vs. Latin Quarter (St. Germain) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/marais-vs-latin-quarter-st-germain-283193/)

donnae Dec 31st, 2002 12:28 PM

Marais vs. Latin Quarter (St. Germain)

In your opinion, which is a better place to stay, Marais or the Latin Quarter?<BR><BR>We only have a week and love to walk and take in as much of every city that we can, like sites, culture, etc.<BR><BR>

xxx Dec 31st, 2002 01:22 PM

Actually the Marais and the Latin Qtr. are quite close to each other divided by the Seine. Personally I prefer the Latin Qtr. but especially St. Germain as there are many restaurants and shops around. Although the Marais has many stores and restaurants, I just happen to prefer the atmosphere better in the Latin Quarter and St. Germain areas. In Paris you can walk to just about everywhere you want.

Eye Spy Dec 31st, 2002 01:25 PM

That depends on your budget and what you are looking for in a neighborhood. Both are nice; the Quartier Latin has nice places but there are also some overdone streets where many tourists flock and the restaurants are mediocre. The Marais is nice, quiet at night (especially in the neighboring streets north of rue des Francs-Bourgeois or around Places des Vosges) and equally accessible to Bastille or Chatelet-Les Halles and to the Ile Saint-Louis and Ile de la Cite. Other streets in the Marais are busier, such as rue Vieille du Temple. You'll like both. Personally, I prefer the Marais but in this post I am strictly speaking of the Quartier Latin area just to the left of Boulevard Saint-Michel going south and not the area to its east, including, among others, rue de Buci, l'Odeon and towards Saint-Germain-des-Pres.

Diane Dec 31st, 2002 04:47 PM

I've enjoyed both areas. If this is your first time, I'd suggest St Germain, but honest, it is probably a toss up!

miranda Dec 31st, 2002 07:44 PM

Huge fan of the Marais here! I find the area a bit more eclectic, whereas many parts of the Latin Quartier are a bit yuppified. Depends on your taste and personality.

cindy Jan 1st, 2003 03:41 AM

Always choose the Marais! Smaller, less touristy feeling, easy to walk to everything.

Patrick Jan 1st, 2003 05:54 AM

I like the Marais more in the day than at night. At night it seems so dark and deserted, except for a few spots. Not a great area for walking around at night like St. Germain, which bustles until the wee hours. For that reason, I'd prefer to stay in St. Germain for the evening activities, but spend a good amount of time in the Marais during the day.

King Jan 1st, 2003 08:57 AM

Any special/favorite finds to look for in these areas. We are off to Paris at the end of Jan. Done St. Germain in a general sweep last year. Latin and Marais on the list to explore along with SG in more depth. <BR><BR><BR>I'll recommend a restaurant on the edge of St. Germain and Latin Qtr., Allard. Supposed to be one of the oldest in Paris. Rustic and full of atmosphere. Great food. <BR> <BR>

Wendy Jan 1st, 2003 10:30 AM

I agree that it's a tossup. I absolutely love the Marais because it seems less gentrified than the Latin Quarter, but the Latin Quarter is more alive at night and well into the early hours of the morning. You really can't go wrong in either area. Have a wonderful time!

pam Jan 1st, 2003 10:34 AM

I prefer the Marais but agree with others about night life in the 5th vs the 3rd.