Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Map of Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/map-of-paris-322784/)

katemouttahere Mar 13th, 2008 02:57 PM

Map of Paris

Can anyone please recomend a great map of Paris for first time visitors to use? We will be going on foot and by Metro.
Thanks

suze Mar 13th, 2008 03:32 PM

We had some from home with us, but my very favorite map turned out to be the free one from the hotel lobby, picked up once we were in Paris.

CarolA Mar 13th, 2008 03:46 PM

I have always sworn by the maps in the DK Eyewitness guides for Paris, but on my last trip I bought the Moleskin book for Paris.

It has a very detailed maps and lots of pages of blank paper for me to plot out things. I have lists of resturants, a journal etc...

swisshiker Mar 13th, 2008 05:21 PM

Hello katemouttahere :)

I really like the Borch laminated maps. It highlights the top sights in each city, shows the metro stops, etc. They used to be under the name Berndtson but now seem to have switched to Borch. Very good quality, easy to read. But the best part is they are laminated. Does not fall apart or tear.

We're taking this map on our upcoming trip to Paris. Here is a link from amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/2vdmjw

Happy travels!

seafox Mar 13th, 2008 05:24 PM

I'm actually a fan of the Frommer's map in their book, it has streets, metro stops and the most popular sites all in one. (and I don't need my reading glasses to see it)

SusanP Mar 13th, 2008 05:25 PM

The Streetwise Paris Map is also great. Laminated, folds small, easy to carry around. Shows every little street, metro stops, even taxi stands.

janisj Mar 13th, 2008 05:33 PM

I have several good ones and those mentioned above are all good. But the one I always carry in my pocket is the Popout map. I have one for Paris, one for London, Edinburgh, Rome, and a few other cities. Closed it is <b>very</b> small and has an amazing amount of detail.

It is not good for your only comprehensive map - but for walking around and seeing the sites, finding the Metro, and such it is more than adequate.

StCirq Mar 13th, 2008 07:12 PM

Streetwise maps are always good, but I don't like to have to open a big laminated thing on a street corner - dead giveaway I'm out of my element. In Paris I love the Paris par Arrondissement booklets - small discreet, incredibly detailed, and you can use the index to find something. You can get one at any street kiosk for a few euros.

theflock Mar 13th, 2008 07:53 PM

I use the Streetwise Paris map, but before I leave home I make a few color copies on 8.5 x 11 paper, and on the back I list the sights, restaurants, museums and shops I want to see in a particular area with their addresses. When I'm out sightseeing, I have the laminated map in my purse, but I have the copy with my day's itinerary folded up in my pocket for easy access.

cathies Mar 14th, 2008 01:43 AM

Hi theflock, that's a brilliant idea. I find laminated maps a bit clumsy to keep getting in and out of my bag but anything else gets a bit ratty after a few days, particularly where they have been folded which is inevitably the bit I need to see! I will definitely use this idea in May/June when we will be walking our feet off in Italy and France. thanks, Cathie

swisshiker Mar 14th, 2008 04:10 AM

theflock, good reminder! I had forgotten that we do that also (make copies from the map). With eyesight being what it is (or isn't), we &quot;blow up&quot; the map on our scanner. It's amazing how many times streets change names or they're not all listed (too many tiny streets).

So after we make larger blown up copies, then we highlight each point of interest and use those copies on a daily basis.

The large laminated map is good for the overall impression, but the smaller ones with large print (from our computer) work out really well for the nitty gritty of finding where we're going.

Thanks, theflock, for reminding me. It's something I've still got to do!

SemiMike Mar 14th, 2008 04:33 AM

I have for years carried the Paris Mapguide (http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Mapguide...29&amp;sr=8-23) and never have been disappointed by it.

Ralstonlan Mar 14th, 2008 05:11 AM

Another vote for the Paris Mapguide.
Mine is filled with notes and markings. An invaluable book and easy to carry around.

djkbooks Mar 14th, 2008 05:51 AM

Here's another huge recommendation for the Paris Mapguide - of all those I drag along, this is the one I'm always sure to have along.

Celiaanne Mar 14th, 2008 06:12 AM

I just checked on the Paris Mapguide, and I found the cheapest price for a USED one of $54 -- most expensive (also Used) $94. Is it really this costly?

avalon Mar 14th, 2008 06:18 AM

HUH!!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $10.00 for mine about 2 years ago. I wouldn't travel without it..the Mapguide. I particularlly like that it shows the bus lines, which I prefer over the Metro. It's not that much bigger than the streetwise map, which I also like.

avalon Mar 14th, 2008 06:25 AM

WHen you google it it does come up with that bizarre price! But look at the next entry , it comes up $8.00 for the new 3rd edition.

http://www.amazon.com/Paris-Mapguide.../dp/0141469048

dawnnoelm Mar 14th, 2008 06:58 AM

Swisshiker - that map looks good - I ordered two :-) - because we are likely to &quot;split&quot; up on this trip.

I like the idea of blowing it up!

ira Mar 14th, 2008 07:01 AM

Hi K,

Another vote for the Streetwise Map.

It has the metro stops and cab stands shown on the street map and a map of the metro routes.

((I))

Randy Mar 14th, 2008 07:13 AM

I have found the maps given out by the hotels helpful but not very detailed.

I have a large Michelin Map of Paris that I got at Boarders that has all the little streets and is very detailed. I is a large map, so before my trip I take the map to my copy machine and make a couple copies of sections of the map that I will be visiting. Then when I am in Paris I fold up the 8 1/2 X11 map of the area I will be in that day and put it in my pocket. Much better than unfolding the big map on a windy street corner.