Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Many thanks to all-we leave for 30th trip tomorrow...I forgot the gondola reservation

Many thanks to all-we leave for 30th trip tomorrow...I forgot the gondola reservation

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, everyone--
We leave tomorrow for our 30th anniversary trip to Paris, Florence and Italy! You have all been such a wonderful help through the planning process, and I will be sure to post when we return.

Thanks to your help, I have the following itinerary:

Paris:Hotel Verneuil for 3 nights
Dinners: L'Angle du Faubourg
Laserre
Le Violon d'Ingres

(A few "fun" things that I've just added are an appointment for a haircut in Paris at Salon Dessanges, and a spa treatment at Institut Orphee...a nice break from the museums and walking..and shopping!)

Paris to Florence:
Air France tickets (on fodorite recommendation, purchased from airfrance website round trip which we will only use one part of= $258 for both of us

Florence: Relais Cavalcanti bed & breakfast, which I'm very excited about, since our room has a view of the Palazzo Vecchio
Dinners: Il Ritrovo
Cantinetta Antinori
Osteria d'Agnolo
We have reservations for the Uffizi, again based on fodorite recommendations.

Then train to Venice, which I booked online at the trenitalia website, just because I need to do these things ahead of time...

Venice: Hotel Flora, which I've stayed at before and love
Dinners: Cipriani Fortuny Terrace
Monaco & Grand
still looking for one casual night restaurant...we may just eat pizza!

I never got around to booking a gondola. which I may ask my hotel to do. If anyone has a tip on the least expensive way to do this, I'd love to hear...

So, thanks again to all of you, since almost every dinner, flight, train and hotel are directly from tips you've given. You're a great group!

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:22 AM
rex

I wouldn't ever think to "book" a gondola, any more than I would make a "reservation" at a street hot-dog vendor for dinner.

Walk up to a gondolier, negotiate the price, get in, and go!

Have a great trip... and...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rex,
You always make me laugh! Any idea what a good price would be?
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
rex

I hear that 80-100 euro is the going rate, but there are rising rumors of being conned into double that. Same price for 1 to 5 passengers, typically - - so it can make sense to pair up with another couple, if you are a twosome.

Or to show him/her how much you love them - - and just go by yourselves, throwing the budget to the wind!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 08:33 AM

Hi cybertraveler, your trip sounds fantastic!!!

Regarding hiring a gondola. If you go to one of the side canals you will might get a lower rate than you would right at Piazza San Marco. I agree, you do not need a reservation. In fact it is good not to have one because it is best to hire a gondolier that you "click with". The last I knew the price would be around $90.00.

Wishing you both a wonderful trip and congratulations to you on your 30th wedding anniversary.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM

Hi cybertraveler,
Things change quickly in Venice and I've also heard the prices have risen (again).
This is what we did in 03 - we started the walk and as the gondoliers approached us with the same priced offer, I simply said, do you sing? (I'm a musician of sorts, and simply had to have the serenade to justify the cost of this ride!) And all shook their head and walked away. We kept walking and laughing and talking to the gondoliers who were a happy lot and finally one agreed to SING! Then we began to negotiate - and even did start to walk away - he said something that clinched the deal - and we had a great gondola ride. He wasn't the best singer, but he had fun and we did too. As it turned out his wife was from Austin TX and he had been there also, until she became pregnant and they returned to Venice so he could get a good job. He was about a 4th gerneration. He loved architecture and was majoing in that at TU - so we got a great tour with focus on the great architecture along with the music.
Good luck - you'll have a wonderful time!
Carol
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
ira

Hi cy,

Have a great trip.

Reserving a gondola is sort of like reserving a copy of the local paper from a news vendor.

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:24 PM

cybertraveler - We paid 85 Euros on the spot for a twilight gondola ride three weeks ago near Rialto Bridge. Our gondolier wouldn't negotiate and the family was eager to do it, so we paid the asking price, but I understand gondola rides near near Piazza San Marco can be substantially more expensive than that.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM

A gondola reservation? Now that's too funny. And to think they call me a "Type A" personality (among other things). Just remember, dear, there's no reserving a vaporetto or a seat on one. Maybe I've been doing this travel thing for too long.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM

Of course most of us know that a gondola ride and a vaporetto are two different vessels. Sigh!

Best wishes to you cybertraveler! And do give us a trip report after you get home and settled in.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM

Like Rex implied, "most of us know" that gondola rides don't require reservations. Apart from exclamatory exasperation and continued ingratiation, what is your point LoveItaly?
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

You guys are too funny--thanks for the laughs!
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that we did indeed book a gondola from home on my past two trips!
Well, now I know how the savvy travelers do it, I'll stroll down to the Rialto at sunset!
Thanks for all the kind wishes, too!