Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   MANY questions-upcoming Turkey vacation. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/many-questions-upcoming-turkey-vacation-480229/)

Matisse Oct 13th, 2004 04:43 PM

MANY questions-upcoming Turkey vacation.

Hello All,

Just started planning a trip to Turkey at the end of November for 2 weeks. I'll be visiting a friend who will be in Ankara on business for a few months.

So far my plan is:
- Days 1-3 in Ankara - I know most people don't recommend this city, but I'm ostensibly here to visit my pal right? ;)
- Days 4-7 in Cappadocia with pal. Take bus to Urgup( I think) where we'll be picked up and transferred to hotel.
- Staying at either Gamirasu, Yunak, Elkep Evi (Esbelli Evi is closed from Nov-Apr).
- 2 day organized tour (including hot air ballooning weather permitting) with either Cappadocia Tours or Insight Travel. Both are about the same price.
- Back to Ankara overnight, then I leave for Istanbul; 4 days alone, 3 with pal.

I'd like some comments/suggestions on the following:
- One hotel I'm considering in Ankara is the Hotel Mithat (found it in the RoughGuide)in the Ulus section. 15 Euros/night including taxes, breakfast, tv, phone! (the hotel my pal is staying at is over my budget at $118/night). Has anyone ever stayed there? I wasn't looking for anything this inexpensive, but the website looks OK.
- I've been looking for bus schedules online. I found one for the Veran bus co., but it doesn't seem like it goes to a city in Cappadocia. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Where can I find fares and travel times from Ankara to Cappadocia?
- I've read good comments on Gamirasu. Yunak is about $30 more per night, breakfast only; (Gamirasu offersbreakfast/dinner), is it worth the extra $$.
-I've read that Urgup is "full of tourists", but since it's off season, would we be better off staying there? Will we be feeling isolated in Ayvali since we won't have our own transportation outside of the tour?
- While in Istanbul, I'll be staying in Sultanahmet, when my pal arrives, we'll stay in Taksim at Taxim Suites. ( I want to experience both areas). Has anyone stayed at this hotel? It's a 14 room, modern all suite hotel just behind Taksim square.

Thank you for taking the time to look this over. Hope to hear from someone out there...

propertravel Oct 14th, 2004 01:17 PM

Hi Matisse,
Ankara as the capital of the country actually offers divers options for travellers. All depens on expectations and wishes.... There are museums and interesting places and nice shopping malls, good restaurants and bars.

Cappadocia is a good choice and more than 2 days is good.
Nevtur, Goreme Turizm Buses, Metro, Kapadokya Seyahat have frequent services during the day and one at midnight, I cant recall the websites but you can search.
The hotels you have mentioned are all nice and there are further more. You might be right about Ayvali however they might offer transfer. Urgup is the place where you may not need transport and if so taxis are all over.
Hot air ballooning is a highlight, check with which company to fly?
I have not seen the Full of Tourist part yet :-)
have clothes to keep you warm especially at night !
Ulus is not the most interesting part to stay in Ankara but did not hear the hotel you mentioned. The price you got is a bargain....
Taxim Suites is a nice place and even posh.But not at Sultanahmet. What about the room rates ?

Have fun and enjoy while in Turkey

regards

Matisse Oct 14th, 2004 10:59 PM

Hello ProperTravel, thank you for replying.

If Ulus is not an interesting part of Ankara in which to stay, then can you recommend a better area? What about Kizilay?

The rate I got for Taxim Suites is $150/night including taxes, breakfast, access to the steamroom/sauna. I'll be with my friend at that point, so it won't be too bad. I'll also be staying at Hotel Pamphylia in Sultanahmet for $32/night.

Thanks again!

dw0201 Oct 15th, 2004 06:36 AM

I was there a couple of years ago and just made my reservations as I went. Hotels are never full there because of tourism being down and that way I got to see what I was getting. The prices were low but not as low as 15 euro. I stayed a few places that were around 30 euro and they were okay but borderline of not being comfortable for me. The same goes for bus transportation.

Your trip sounds great, I am sure you will love Turkey.

propertravel Oct 16th, 2004 07:09 AM

Hello Matisse,
Kizilay is a better option as being in the center of the city.

Taxim Suites are very nice and very central as well.

Have a great time in Turkey