Manifestation in Paris April 9

Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifestation in Paris April 9

You can tell that it is April in Paris.

The CGT and other unions have called for a grand demonstration today, a march from Invalides to Place d'Italie. RATP says it won't affect transport, but I wouldn't expect to take a taxi or bus along the route.

And the air traffic controllers continue their slowdowns today as well. 25% of flights from Orly and 50% at CDG will be affected, though I gather the focus will be on intra-France and regional flights.

If you were planning to change at CDG for MRS, you may wind up taking the train.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Interesting information. I was at invalides today and saw the manifestation. Lots of protesters but it was like a party with a live band. Traffic was rerouted.

I had heard about the air traffic controller strike. Hopefully it will be over by Saturday when I'm flying back to the states.

Thank you,Acklislander, for the info.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM

The buses have been unreliable for the past 3 days in Paris. Had to walk from Alésia nearly all the way to Convention today as there would be no bus for an hour. Would've been better if I hadn't been wearing high heels!
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 09:58 PM

Buses and taxis are being stuck in traffic congestion or even rerouted because of the different "manifestations", but also because the area around some government buildings is closed off without warning to accommodate visiting foreign dignitaries.
It took me nearly 90 mins to go across town yesterday in a taxi - normally at that hour, it would have taken 30 mins in moderate traffic.
And no - there is nothing anyone can do about this but heave a great big sigh and apologize to everyone when you arrive at the end of your meeting or whatever.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 10:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The metro is much less disrupted by such things, although some stations can be closed temporarily from time to time for security or crowd control reasons -- bus service is generally suspended for at least 3 hours when a demonstration is coming through an area. And of course all surface traffic is stopped for the multitude of official motorcades.