Manchester to Edinburgh to Ireland

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 01:56 AM
Sue Handlin

Manchester to Edinburgh to Ireland

Any suggestions on this. We have a place to stay in Manchester and from then on, we will be taking 5 days to complete the rest. Would like to stay in a castle in or near Edinburgh but don't want to spend more than $150 per couple - is that reasonable? We can switch to a B&B. Also, does anyone know what the fare is to take the Ferry to Ireland? From Ireland, we have to take the car back to London. Are we being too ambitious, or should we knock out Edinburgh completely? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 01:25 PM
Sheila

I'm unclear. Do you have 5 days to do edinburgh, Ireland and London?

If so, forget it! Lose a country.Take your time, relax. $150 is a bit low for a castle but you would get a nice country house hotel.

If you want to pursue this, let me know and I'll find somewhere.

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 01:28 PM
Sheila

If you mean you have 5 days o go from Manchester to Edinburgh to Ireland to London...I wouldn't. Lose a country.

$150 is a bit low for a castle but might get you a god country house hotel.
If you want to pursue this aspect let us know and I'll find something

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 10:17 AM
Sue Handlin

Would like to find a lovely place - I love to fish also - are there any places where I can stay AND fish. We have 6 days with the car. What route do you suggest.

Old Apr 2nd, 1999, 11:32 AM
Sheila

This is another set of questions first.

I can only do the Scottish bit, becasue I don't know Ireland at all well. However I do know that yu can get a return from Stranraer to Belfast for £149 with a car, becasue I've just booked it myself.

Ireland is meant to be great for fishers/anglers, but so is Scotland. Tough call. I do however adhere to my previous suggestion that you ditch one country.

If you want to d the Scottish stuff, I suggest you cross the Penines to the east, and, in fact I would suggest a slow run up the east coast. Stop in Newcastle (for about 10 minutes) and see the rail bridge. Also great shopping.

Then pick a couple of picturesque places in Northumbria- say, Seahouses and Alnwick and spend a little time there. Then come back inland and stay overnight in the Borders. Kelso or Melrose or Selkirk or Berwick. Lovely bbeys, lovely rolling hills, and the Tweed which thinks its Scotland's best salmon river- the Tay and the Spey would both disagree, though.

Spend a day fishing (Salmon is very dear, but course fishing should be possible and easy to arrange)Mix it with a couple of stately homes- Mellerstain, Floors, Buccleuch and especially Traquair; so that about midday the second day you head on up to Edinburgh. Taken the next day and a half in Edinburgh, then a day to drive south again.

If that's the sort of thing that appeals, let me know (and let me know your accommodation budget) and I'll come up with some more specific suggestions