Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Manchester Christmas markets voted UK's best

Manchester Christmas markets voted UK's best

Nov 6th, 2018, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Manchester Christmas markets voted UK's best

Manchester's Christmas markets open this Friday, having been voted the UK's best by booking.com

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...-best-15366197

Really looking forward to this year as I ran out of Chorizo last month and need to top up my stock!
Nov 6th, 2018, 05:18 AM

It’s cheaper to fly EasyJet, Liverpool to Madrid than it is to park fo a day in the centre of Manchester.

Kendals has closed for a reason, John Whitaker had far more vision than Manchester City Council. MCCs main contribution to the city centre retail environment was creating the bus lane through Salford which left the journey into the centre unbearable during peak times.

On to the Christmas market.

There’s a proper nice lady from Munich who puts on a very good German accent and sells lovely chocolates. She sells out mid November as she never brings enough stock.

There’s a proper good burger stall operated by a farm from the Lyth Valley, South Lakes.

Other than that Pollensa fake Gucci handbag market offers more interest than Manchester Christmas market.

I really don’t like Manchester Christmas market.

Sorry.
Nov 6th, 2018, 05:19 AM

Ps

go to Booths for Chorizo, it’s where the stall holders buy their stock from.
Nov 6th, 2018, 07:47 AM

Chorizo?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/gu...op-10-chorizos
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_n...adis=&LH_CAds=

Last edited by ribeirasacra; Nov 6th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.
Nov 6th, 2018, 11:08 PM

I am not a fan of Manchester markets … mind you, I am not a fan of Manchester. At least there are some markets which have merit because of their setting such as York and Lincoln. I am not sure what Shrewsbury markets are like but the town centre is divine. Near Manchester there is much fuss made about Altringham Christmas Market but I haven't been and Macclesfield market (south of Manchester) has its fans.
Nov 7th, 2018, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

BC, we have Booths near to us and they don't sell any chorizo similar to that which I can get on the markets. They have a poor offering that tastes of very little. Booths are, unfortunately nowhere near as good as they used to be. The Salford bus lane was forced through by a Salford Councillor. Manchester's shopping street are less hit than most places by the internet's shopping rise. The Manchester markets are excellent and are busy for a reason.

Steve, both Macclesfield and Altrincham are tiny markets and offer a watered down version of Manchester's offering. Sorry you don't like the city, but it's by far the best choice of food, drink, hotels, theatre, events etc etc in the region, Liverpool included and doesn't trade on a 60 year old musical group's connection with the place. I remember that the Beatles quit Liverpool as soon as they could.
Nov 7th, 2018, 06:09 AM

the Beatles quit Liverpool as soon as they could
By that do you mean that groups formed in Manchester or the singers from the area never left after they became famous?

The likes of The Hollies, The Bee Gees, Herman's Hermits, Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders, Freddie and the Dreamers, Barclay James Harvest or 10cc.
I suppose that miserable Mancunian Morrissey still lives in the city.

Correction he moved out.
Nov 8th, 2018, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

ribeirasacra, I would have given Morrissey a hand with his suitcases as he left! Lots of the Manchester Musicians are still around, indeed most of the Madchester lot are still to be seen in the city. Freddie (of the Dreamers) died in 2006 after a long illness and only latterly moved to the Potteries once his health was failing.
Nov 8th, 2018, 07:24 AM

Did not know that about "Freddie"
For balance and for those who cannot make it to Manchester. A few other suggestions for Candlemas - markets in the UK.
Country wide:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...stmas-markets/
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/gu...as-city-breaks
London only:
https://www.spiritofchristmasfair.co.uk/
https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/wh...-series/winter
Nov 8th, 2018, 09:37 AM

Malaga Christmas market has raised much interest, we would have loved to have gone this year but have already booked to go to Norway.
Nov 8th, 2018, 02:41 PM

Never seen Manchester Xmas Market but did thoroughly enjoy two separate day trips to Manchester from London and was very surprised how nice the city center, as large British cities go, was and some really neat museums so Xmas Market may be nice reason to go but there is a lot to see besides that. Been to Birmingham too and Manchester to me was way way nicer than Birmingham.

Wonder if Blackpool has a famous Christmas Market?
Nov 8th, 2018, 03:44 PM

A Christmas Market that opens on November 9th? Yikes. Way too early for me.
Nov 9th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Too early Melnq8? Some stores have had Christmas stuff since August! The market goes on till the 22nd December If you want to leave it later.

Pal, not sure how recently you've been to Manchester, but the city centre has moved on a lot in recent years, especially with the development of the Northern Quarter. Lots more great places to eat and drink and loads of quirky, small, independent shops. We had a superb pizza the other evening in Rudy's which was easily as good as some I've had in Italy.
Nov 9th, 2018, 06:47 AM

Yes, too early for me. Seems the Christmas shopping season starts earlier and earlier each year. It's a bit much (for me anyway).
Nov 9th, 2018, 11:58 AM

It was about 10 years ago I was last in Manchester for a day and the northern area was yes under development - think there was an old church there by a secondary rail station but not much around them. But even then I thought Manchester's city centre was really neat. But to me the star attractions were the science museum and the Manchester Underground Museum that occupies part of one of the world's oldest train stations. Plus at that time the set of Coronation Street before it moved out to the docks or whatever. wonder if old set is still there and has tours? Guess I could look up but better from a local.
Nov 10th, 2018, 12:10 AM

Surprised that Bury;s international famous market hasn't been mentioned. Bury is a 40 minute tram ride north of Manchester. It is a near weekly trip for me on account of the quality meat you can get. Alas, its not a Christmas market rather than a treat at any time of the year,

Ps: weren't the Hollies from around Lancashire rather than specific to Manchester or am I thinking of the Moody Blues?
Nov 10th, 2018, 12:41 AM

That’s a huge coincidence Steve.

i was about to ask about Bury.

ive heard lots of good things about it’s regeneration following the tram line installation.

i played junior football in Unsworth and Ramsbottom many times, never been back since.

Used to hate Unsworth, they were the only team ever to beat us.
Nov 10th, 2018, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Steve, the Hollies were mainly from Salford and lived in the Regent Road area. They played in most of the Manchester clubs and particularly in the Jungfrau where I spent a lot of time!

Pal, the old set on Quay street is still there and has the occasional open day, but it's due to be demolished soon. The new set at Media City has open days and is much bigger than the old set.
Nov 10th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Thanks for that info Rubicund. Manchester Rocks!

Search this Thread