Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Manchester Airport Train Station - how long/far to Aiirport itself?

Oct 14th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Dear Fodorites - I would welcome your experience please. We are getting a train to Manchester Airport - but how far/how long is it from the station to the Airport itself - sorry I am not sure yet which terminal - for example if our train got in at 06.15 - would we have enough time to get to the terminal, check in, and get the 08.45 flight? Many thanks.
Forgot to add, it is an international flight. Also what is the best way please, to get from the station to airport departures? Thanks.

Oct 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the typo in the heading - that should be Airport.....
Oct 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM

The station is right there in the midst of the terminals. Couldn't be closer. You'll be fine.

I remember walking along the road for a short distance to the terminal. There may be a skywalk that I'm forgetting about though.
Oct 14th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cimbrone, that's great news. Happy travelling.
Oct 14th, 2006, 10:43 AM

The furthest terminal away from the station is Terminal 3, about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the platform, access is via Terminal 2.
Oct 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Practically all flights from MCR (or any other European airport) are international.

What affects your checkin time is where you're headed for (flights to Israel or the US often require longer checkin times than flights to Australia or Holland), who with and whether you've checked in online beforehand.

Only you know that: only your airline can tell you when you need to be at the desk. Why ask us?
Oct 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Yep, skywalks to terminals 1 & 2, and to get to T3 you walk through T1.
Oct 14th, 2006, 11:41 AM

MCR???
Oct 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM

6:15 train for 8:45 flight to anywhere

Plenty of time

Don't worry, you will be fine.....
Oct 14th, 2006, 11:48 AM

BoonieBear--I see you're sort of new here, so I must warn you not to mind flanneruk. He's one of our resident curmudgeons who thinks negative attention is better than no attention at all.

By the way, the Manchester airport is among the cleanest, most user-friendly airports I've ever experienced. Happy travels!
Oct 14th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone - especially Cimbrone - who has given me positive comments. I can't ask my Airline yet as I haven't actually booked flights. Just doing some research and found it is cheaper to travel by train to the airport from where we live rather than get a taxi or drive and park. Yes I am a new Foderite so sorry if I have annoyed anyone - maybe no answer at all would be rather more suitable than an unnecessarily negative reply. I do know people who fly from Manchester (MAN) to London etc, so that was why I clarified that it was an international flight. Sorry.
Oct 14th, 2006, 01:19 PM

While flanner can be testy - he usually offers really good info. And in this case he is sort of right. It really does make a difference where you are flying to. Also, some airlines require longer advance check in than others, and different penalties for missing the cut off.

Oct 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM

once again....

6:15 train - takes about 10-15 minutes
10-15 minute walk to the correct terminal
Arrival at the check in desk? about 6:45

I don't know of any airline that has a check in cut off at 2 HOURS!!!
Oct 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM

I'm a frequent flyer from MAN (3-4 times a year) and I always aim to arrive at the check-in 2 hours before departure, when check-in usually opens. Check-in and security usually take 20 min maximum, but I'd allow a bit longer at morning rush hours and in current security situation (only random pat-down of passengers). Allow extra time for flights to US as there is extra security before boarding. It's about 10 min each to Terminal 1 and 2 from the station, and up to 20 min to Terminal 3 - you have to go through Terminal 1 Domestic and then use escalator or lift (elevator).
Oct 14th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice - we are actually flying to Athens and on to Crete for my 40th Birthday - you have been a great help and I wish you all lots of happy travels and I'll report back on how we like Hania Venetian Harbour...looking forward to Crete olive oil, wine and olives and hopefully some sunshine....
Oct 16th, 2006, 04:44 AM

Boonie, you were correct to specify international - there are lots of domestic flights from Manchester & in fact they are the only sort I've ever got from there. Just for future reference it would be worth specifying European too, as I get the impression that flights to the US (which most people on this board would be getting) take a lot longer to check in for. For flights from the UK to anywhere in Europe I usually aim to arrive 1-1.5 hours in advance. I'm obviously not as fit as others here, though, as I'd say it takes me 20-30 minutes to walk from Manchester airport station to T3; but as others have said, getting there at 6.15 for an 8.45 flight gives you more then enough time whichever terminal it is. And I'd dispute "only your airline can tell you when you need to be at the desk" : airlines, especially budget ones, tend you recommend arrive ridicuously early IMO.

Do have a nice time (lucky you, wish I was off to the sun sooner than next June), and I hope you won't be put off coming back to Fodors in future !
Oct 16th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Caroline - for a really nice reply - hope you have a great time next June wherever it is you're going....I will continue to use Fodor's, it's a great site.