Manarola vs. Montorosso

Jan 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM
kct
Original Poster

Manarola vs. Montorosso

I am trying to decide between staying in Manarola or Montorosso (both part of Cinque Terre) Please share your thoughts on both (atmosphere, accessibility)and I would love recommendations of places to stay. We'd like something under 85EU, if possible.

Also, if you stayed in Manarola, did you only hike North and skip the southern most town? I thought it may be strange to do the hike if you are starting out in the middle of the 5 towns. Thanks.
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Hi,
I like Monterosso because I like to swim and they is a beach in Monterosso. Manarola is lovely, slighly higher above the sea, smaller, and a little quieter. I really can not recommend a place to stay for 85E, but do a google search. I am sure you will find something. Monterosso has more hotels etc. The hike from Manarola to the last town south/east is very close and a delightful walk. "The Walk of Love" I think if you stay in Manarola you would you could easily do this walk on a different day than the long walk to Monterosso. Have fun!
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:28 PM
BPA

We stayed at Hotel Pasquale in Monterosso (www.hotelpasquale.com)last March. It was very nice and had a beautiful view of the waterfront. We hiked south all the way to Riomaggiore and then took the train back. It was a beautiful day and the hike was absolutely fantastic. In March, there were very few hikers. I can imagine that in the summer, it could be very hot and crowded -- and not nearly as enjoyable. Not sure when you are going, but if it's a crowded time, I'd suggest you get a very early morning start to try to avoid the crowds and heat.
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Hi kct. Monterosso is, by far, the largest of the five Cinque Terre towns but the old town section has somewhat of a smaller town feel. Manarola is much smaller and does not (I think) have a beach, but it's very picturesque. Don't know if you can drive a car to Manarola but you can to Monterosso. Both towns are, of course, accessible by train, and hiking.

Riomaggiore is only a very short distance, on level ground, south of Manarola. You could easily walk there and back, or take the train there and then begin your hike north.
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Did you see the answer I did on this post you did by accident on the US board -- and I answered, not realizing we were both on the US board?

I prefer Manarola because it is so much more remote, quaint, and quiet -- which normally I'd detest, but are the things that make the Cinque Terre what it is. I miss the point of going to this rather "remote" area and then staying in the rather busy town of Montorosso.
Yes, you can drive a car to Manarola. They opened the gate and let us drive with a 15 minute pass about halfway into the town where the railway bridge blocks the road, beyond that the street is filled boats on cradles that have been hoisted up from the "pit" of a harbor and stored in the streets. After unloading our luggage we had to return the car to outside the gate. We stayed at the little Piccolo Marina Hotel overlooking the cliffs and the sea, having dinner outside both nights with the sea crashing against the rocks below us. There's not a nightclub or disco in Manarola, and frankly not a thing to do -- isn't that what this area is all about -- along with the hiking?
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:45 PM

I prefer Manarola..Monterosso is bigger and the beach area is better,but does not have the small village charm that Manarola has.
Although that all the CT villages are quite picturesque.