manarola boat/rail transport

Jan 30th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

manarola boat/rail transport

Thanks to Fodor readers I have identified both the village and accommodation to stay in the Cinque Terre. This said, I am still a little worried about the limited restaurants in Manarola. How easy is it by boat or rail to get to other villages at night and thereby widen our choice?
Many thanks for your help.
Jan 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM

It is very easy to go within the different towns in CT. When you get there, buy a pass for the CT rail. Depending on how long you'll be there, you can save money by buying one good for 3 days. This pass will allow you to travel on the train within the towns as much as you want. Trains are regular--they come about once every 20 minutes or so.
I think you can buy a similar pass that will allow you to travel on the ferries, too. Naturally, it is a bit more expensive.
There are some great restaurants in Vernazza. The food in general in CT is incredible. Eat some pesto for me while you're there!
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Gosh that was quick - many thanks vlcgoddess. Can you remember if the trains run late (ish) or how long a journey between Manarola and Vernazza?
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
kja

Although it doesn't answer your questions, I thought I'd mention that I had two wonderful meals in Manarola a few years ago - one at the Marina Piccola and one at a little place that had a great pesto. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place, but as I recall, it was on the main street not far from the turn off for the train station.

Hope that helps. . . .
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Steve, I'm looking at a train schedule from my trip to the CT a few years ago and it shows that the trains run from about 4:30 a.m. until 1:00 a.m. The train time between any two of the five towns is about five minutes.

We also ate at Marina Piccola and had a wonderful meal. You'll find a couple of good restaurants in each of the towns. There's lots of good food in the CT.
Jan 30th, 2008, 11:25 AM

From memory, the train journey between the CT villages is only a few minutes between each, but I do remember waiting up to 40 mins one Sunday as there weren't many trains that day. We went for dinner one night in Riomaggiore by train and had no trouble - we stayed in Manarola.

You can get a little train timetable, just for the 5 villages, once you arrive, that will help with timing. We got the timetable when we bought a 4 day pass which covered trains in the Cinque Terre and the fee to hike the trails.

We used the trains in this area quite a lot and once we were going to Riomaggiore and the train stopped but when we looked out, it was in a tunnel, in darkness so we assumed we had stopped between stations. The train went on to La Spezia, we had missed our stop. We could have got off, just didn't realise at the time. We just caught the next train back so it wasn't a big deal.

Kay
Jan 31st, 2008, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou everyone for your help - its very reassuring and it sounds like its the rail that is used rather than boat.
Jan 31st, 2008, 06:47 AM

As others have noted, the train runs regularly from town to town and the trip takes just a few minutes.

The boat is less reliable; doesn't run in choppy water or at night.

You have a better choice of good restaurants in Vernazza and Monterossa.