Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Man the dollar has taken a beating over the last 6 months!!!!! Does anyone know if the dollar is weaker now than it was in '96? I remember only getting 5 francs to the dollar? To think that a year ago we got 115 euros to the dollar and now its 92

Search

Man the dollar has taken a beating over the last 6 months!!!!! Does anyone know if the dollar is weaker now than it was in '96? I remember only getting 5 francs to the dollar? To think that a year ago we got 115 euros to the dollar and now its 92

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Carol

I love Europe but I also like to get my money's worth. I'd rather visit Colonial towns in Mexico or even visit historical cities in the US than taking a beating on the dollar. Canada is an option too but even there the dollar is losing its value. The exchange rate is still good but not as much as it was a few months ago. I've been to Europe about 10 times and now I dont mind seeing other places. Its too bad for those who are planning their first or second trip and who have to watch their budget. Isnt that everyone these days?<BR>I spent 3 weeks in France in 96 when all we got was 5 Francs to the dollar. I wonder if things today would seem about as expensive as they did back in 96?

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Patrick

I agree that it is difficult. In the one year between the time I starting planning and booking and then actually going to Europe this past summer, I saw my costs going up by a good 10 to 12%. I booked hotels considering them to be maybe $160 US and then actually having them cost $180 by the time I got there. That added up over a three month travel period, especially when those increases affected everything, not just hotels.<BR><BR>On the other hand, I also travel to some US cities, like San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York. And I must say, I still spend a WHOLE LOT LESS money in Paris or Rome or Berlin, than I do in any of those US cities. I just regard it as Europe not being the great bargain that it was a few years ago, but I still consider it worth every penny I spend there.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Flyboy

While the dollar has weakened considerably, it is still at a little better exchange rate compared to the Euro than it was against the French Franc in early 1996. (In rough terms, it would be more like six FF/U.S. dollar if the FF was still around.) <BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Diane

Yes, the exchange rate isn't as &quot;good&quot; for the US dollar as it has been in the past 5 years, but the vacation value of most European travel is hard to beat. You can spend a week in Paris, including air-fare, for about the same as you would pay to stay in a beach-front condo in Ocean City, MD from June to September. Now, I like the beach but there really is no comparison.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Randall Smith

Greetings,<BR><BR>It is not as bad as it seems. I just did a quick calulation on todays exchange rate, 1 dollar buys .9216 Euro. On one of our trips in the mid-90's, I believe 95, the dollar would buy 4.8 to 4.85 FF. Using a conversion rate of 1 Euro = 6.55957 FF, would mean that the rate at that time was 1 USD = 0.7317 Euros. So it really isn't that bad. The current rate is 1USD = 6.04529 which over the last few years is not that bad. I actually thought it would be worse. <BR><BR>So have a great time in Europe, the dollar will come back.<BR><BR>Ciao,<BR><BR>RJS

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 09:27 AM
huh

I assume the Original Poster means 1.15 Euro=$1US and .92euro=$1US, correct?<BR><BR>Certainly no one got one hundred fifteen euro for one US dollar last year, non?<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Patrick

Actually the original poster is correct. That was the exchange rate just over a year ago. When I started figuring my expenses in September 2001, I was looking at getting 1.14 or 1.15 euro for each US dollar. The rate was 1 euro = .88 or .89 US dollars.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:50 PM
JET

I was going to say what the last poster said in different terms: 1 Australian dollar = 0.54 euro. Makes for a costly trip. None the less I am going to France and Belgium for a month in April and will enjoy every minute of it.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:33 AM
Xenos

Whilst I can sympathise with visitors from the US losing 25 cents or so per dollar over the last year, I don't understand the point about the Australian dollar. As far as I can see, that's only gone down by about 5 or 6 cents over the same period, so what are you whingeing about?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:26 AM
JET

Yes you are right the Aud has not lost significant ground against the euro etc. I guess I was just pointing out that our dollar (or dubloon if you like) has also made traveling expensive, and yes some of this balances out at home but the exchange rate still hits fairly hard. This may be the same for every country, I am not sure and I was not trying to winge, was just pointing out a fact. Like I said I am going to france and have no intention of worrying about the exchange rate, because that is nothing you can change, and I am lukcy enough for it to be stable so I can plan for it.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is more expensive, but at least for me, it doesn't matter so much because the big ticket items are paid for in dollars. Airfare and rental car isn't really affected by currency fluctuations, as far as I can tell. And I eat cheap and stay in $80-$100 rooms.