Search

Italy Walking Shoes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Walking Shoes

Hi everyone!

I am going to Italy for 3 weeks at the end of this month and I am in dire need for some good walking shoes! One thing, I have very narrow feet and am very fashionable. Throughout my international trips, I have lived off very comfortable flip flops .. but am not too sure if the Italian cobblestones will force me to buy sneakers.

Any suggestions for a fashionable girl??
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Hi! Am going to Italy too for 2 weeks in September. I just today got Havaianas for walking. I bought the ones with the thicker soles. My daughter who is a flight stewardess, said that would be okey for me as she knows I live off dressy but comfortable flip flops too.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Since I'm a guy, I'm not about to give fashion advice to anybody (!) but I'd seriously look at the ecco brand. Made in Europe. They're extremely light weight and look like casual shoes. Absolutely the most comfortable shoes I've ever had, including tennis shoes. I bought some before my trip to Italy 2 yrs ago and had no problems. Took them again with DW last year to Central Europe and we loved them. Never had sore or tired feet. Smart enough to wear for dinner in the evening.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:20 AM

Cole Haan Nike Air
There are several styles and they are very comfortable & stylish!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM

It's best to go to a shoe store and try on shoes. You don't have time to shop over the internet and keep returning shoes if they turn out not to be right for your narrow feet.

Since flipflops are so light, go ahead and take them. But buy some shoes you know are very comfortable because you've tried them on in the store. By the way, young Italian women favor sporty walking/running sneakers and slip ons with trousers and jeans.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Spent two weeks in my Sketcher MaryJane's......they can be worn with just about everything.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to go to a large shoe store. Or order a few pair off www.zappos.com because they have free shipping and free returns. What works for us won't necessarily work for you. Yes you need something more than flip flops for 3 weeks in Italy.

I like Merrill and Naot, but hate Joseph Sieble, Ecco, and Mephisto (often recommended brands). Sketchers Mary Janes are worth looking at. The Nike Air/Cole Haan is an excellent suggestion!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Ditto on the Cole Haan Nike Air/G Series choices. But regardless of the brand, you still need to break them in or they will cause you major foot problems.

Remember, you will most likely be walking far more than you normally do at home. I leave in 5 weeks and have started breaking in the new pair I bought for the trip. With each day of "breaking in", they are getting more comfortable.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Hi mysalsa,
I agree with the Cole Haan with Nike Air recommendation. I bought a pair for my upcoming trip to Italy--the Air Rhea d'Orsay in black metalic. From the front/top it looks like a ballet flat--not sure if that style is still available, but they have others similar. They are extremely comfortable. I also bought a pair of Paul Green black leather sandals called Sam that are very comfortable but a little more sleek looking than some of the other brands. I had brought a pair of Ecco Wave sandals home--they are also very comfortable but didn't go as well with the clothing I will be taking on the trip. These shoes are all from Nordstrom--they have a very large selection on-line, also. If you are planning on visiting any of the ruins in Italy (i.e. the Forum) you may want a more stable shoe than a flip-flop. The tour company we booked for ancient Rome recommends tennis shoes. Hope you have a great trip!