MALTA-Sliema or St. Julians?

Old Feb 6th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MALTA-Sliema or St. Julians?

My daughter is studying in Sicily and wants to go to Malta with friends for a weekend. The travel agent in Sicily just got a package in St. Julians for them. I am concerned as the Lonely Planet book talks about it being an area of nothing but under 25 year olds drinking and staying up all night which she would not be interested in. The girls want to go to the historical spots,eat and shop.Anyone know anything about the Hotel Complex Baystreet(4 star) or a (3 star) called Alexandria Palace? She said that the travel agent said it was centrally located but I always thought that Sliema was the better place to stay. Please let me know as soon as possible as the girls want to book it today or tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Sliema and St. Julians are grown together, you really donīt know where one ends and the other one begins. I stayed in Sliema, and it was practically dead in the evenings (as is Valletta), so I always went for dinner to St. Julians. It was only 5-10 minutes by bus and the busses are frequent.

I remember there were lots of young people in St. Julians, but I donīt remember thinking that they were particularly drunk or noisy. Just having fun, but in no way in a manner that could be described as ill-behaved or disturbing. And they were teenagers on a language course, not some 20+ "adults".

Malta is small so it is easy to see the historical sights. And those colourful little busses are fun.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Elina-thanks for your response.I am madly trying to find out about these hotels as she wants me to call her back soon before she books anything. My only concern was that this Sicilian travel agent thinks that the girls are interested in a "girls gone wild/Cancun type vacation" so when I read about St. Julians it seemed to go along with that. The agent told the girls that it was a 5 minute ferry to Valleta and that St. Julians is close to everything-is that true? I appreciate your input!
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:27 AM

It's been about 8 years since I was in Malta, but I stayed in Sliema and used it as a base to explore the island. The ferry ride to Valletta from Sliema leaves from the east side of Sliema; St. Julian's is to the west of Sliema, so although they run together as Elina says, it could be a ??20-30 minute walk from St. Julian's to the ferry or maybe a 5 or 10 minute bus ride. We walked from Sliema to St. Julian's to eat a number of times; it seemed festive but not riotous in St. Julian's. Loud music mostly. It was very easy to get around from town to town by bus.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:36 AM

If there interests are history, food and shopping, I would recommend staying in Valleta. I visited in December 2002 and stayed at the British Hotel, which is on the water, a bit historic and has lots of character -- rooms are OK, not great.

The island's main bus stop is right outside the entrance gate into Valleta and is maybe a 10-minute walk from the hotel.

I never considered staying outside Valleta and was very happy with my choice.

Michael
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

After reading reviews on TripAdvisor about the two hotels in Malta, I am wondering if this agent understands what the girls want even though my daughter says her English is great? Michael-the travel agent is also trying to put together a Tunisia package but wanted them to stay out at some resort 20 minutes outside of Tunis which my daughter thought was strange.My husband says that maybe it is for safety reasons but I have a feeling it was an easier deal for the agent.Keep those opinions and thoughts coming.........
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM

If your daughter is only going to Malta for a weekend, why does she need a side trip to Tunisia? There was plenty in my opinion to see and do in Malta for 10 days. Is the t.a. trying to get some extra commission $$?
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM

My guess is that the agent typically deals with larger, touristy hotels, on the beach, with pools, etc., while I prefer more central hotels.

I'm not sure why she needs a travel agent, other than, perhaps for flights. She could book hotels directly on-line, or by sending an email to the hotel. She can see anything in Malta on a day trip from Valleta, even Gozo, the furthest island, which we visited by taking public bus from Valleta to ferry and back in one day.

I think the hotels along the beach are geared for those seeking more of a beach/party holiday than sightseeing.

Check out the British Hotel -- classic, old hotel.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Sorry Gailw-Michael has been advising me on Tunisia which is the spring break trip for the girls in March and I just mentioned it in the same post. This Malta trip is for the weekend of Feb.23-26 and they are just planning on Malta. The price for the trip is 190 euros from Catania to Malta with air,airport transport and the hotel for 4 days and 3 nights.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Actually, that's a pretty good price. I would suffer a less than central hotel for a good rate like that. I think I paid as much for my airfare alone from Catania to Valletta, and at least $80 or so per night for British Hotel.