Base Town in Tirol with stunning scenery and train connections

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for base town in Tirol with stunning scenery and good train connectivity as we are 2 adults and 2 children below 10 years. We enjoy good food and want value for money -nothing fancy. We will not have a car and hence will depend on public transportation.

Also advise the attractions in the Tirol region for 3-4 days.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

We like staying in Hall in Tirol at the Gasthof Badl near Innsbruck. We stayed here in '01, '03, '05 and '10. Nice place, great location, terrific views of the alps, fantastic buffet breakfast (incl.) and Sonja (host/owner) is simply wonderful. They also have a very good, inexpensive restaurant. It's a short 5 or so min. walk to/from the train station. No train noise though. We like the old town of Hall and Innsbruck (and it's attractions) is only 15 min. away.

www.badl.at

www.worldisround.com/articles/362561/index.html

Another option could be nearby Mittenwald, Germany, about 45 minutes away from Hall/Innsbruck. Extremely charming village surrounded by Alps. The train station is a level, easy and under 10 min. walk to the pedestrian zone (hotels, restaurants, shops, etc.) of Mittenwald. We stayed here in '05 and '06 and love it. garmisch (and the Zugspitze) is 20 min. away,

www.mittenwald.de

www.worldisround.com/articles/324763/index.html

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul for your quick revert. In an my earlier post there were recommendations for Seefeld as a base town as it was close to Innsbruck and had lot of activities.

Can someone advise which would be a better option - Seefeld or Hall in Tirol and why? What are the activities that we could do? We are not into hiking but enjoy mountain/cable car excursions.

Thanks.
SKPKCP11
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 09:11 PM

I've been to Hall in Tyrol several times. The last time I stayed in a cloister with a beautiful view of the Alps. Hall in Tyrol is an ancient village. If you stay there I suggest reading up on it so you know what is there. My objective was to see distant relatives on my maternal grandmother's side of the family so I had a native guide. It is a short tram ride from Innsbruck.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM

I can not agree with the perception of Hall being village of stunning scenery and ideal base..
Realize that this is a town of 12- 15 000 persons .

It lies east of Innsbruck in the bottom of the Inn Valley.
Yes, it has a nice central core of very old beautiful buildings - these from a time when Hall was a center silver and gold minting - the town center worth a visit for this but much nicer villages for a vacationer exist in my opinion.

Today the town better known as a logistics center / railroad yards, freight center ,truck services and logistics companies to service this industry -
Also numerous industries from machine makers like Felder to turbine makers like Geppert and much more -
All of this in a relatively narrow valley that contains the town, industry , the Inn River , multi track major east west rail lines with freight center , and the Inntal mutilanne autobahn ( A-12 )

far from a great vacation village in my opinion.

Much better
Seefeld - great scenery , mountain village , good rail connections to Innsbruck as well as Germany - cable car/ funicular rail for mountain rides- nice village square in center - fine shops,good hotel and restaurant choices central pool - stunning scenery- nice moutain walks - nearby other small villages- often seen mountain wildlife like deer coming to feed.
www.seefeld.at

or the various small vacation villages just above Innsbruck like , Mutters, Natters, Igls

www.innsbruck.info
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 02:28 PM

I have to disagree with the above description of Hall. We've stayed 4 times, total of 11 nights, all at the Gasthof Badl, visiting the old town of Hall, etc. We wouldn't have stayed (or gone back) if we had experienced the description given above. We've found it to be the ideal location when visitng the Inndbruck area and the Tirol in general. The Gasthof Badl is on the Inn river, pretty quiet location with great views of the alps. From the Badl you cross the footbridge and then a short walk takes you into the old town of Hall. There are bus and trains to Innsbruck and the environs.

Paul
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Molker & Paul,

Molker, I think I will go alongwith Seefeld. I hope it is not touristy and pricey. Any mid-range or budget accomodations you can recommend would be helpful - we are open to staying on a farm if it is not out of the way as we have no means of transport besides using public transport.
I have been trying the site urlaubambauernhof.at but without any luck.

Molker, seems you are an expert on Austria. Any dos / donts you can highlight would definitely help.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:57 PM

The farm option- realize farms are most often in more remote locations - due to what they are -
Many times this is not csnvenient for those without a auto.
My opinion - you have enough that you try to do without this option.

I would look on the Seefeld website for accomodations-

Seefeld is not large and easily walked from end to end-

nice small lakes- kids playgrounds too.
Nice forest walks - mountain lifts
often a Pension is a good value - most include breakfast n their rate - these are fulling buffet style with varied offerings.

If budget is an issue -
several good supermarkets in the village center
easy to get makings for a fine picnic- bread - meat - cheese drinks - fun to make your picnic walk

also for taking snacks, drinks back to accomodations - especially good with kids.

Also consider a half board situation offering breakfast and evening meal in the rate -

usually good choices and economical-

look to buy an Einfach Raus train ticket for journeys - cheap -

also check tourist office for a local tourist card-
good bus system in the area between villages and In think free to local guests.

Ask about the deer feedings - deer will come out of forest areas at times.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 12:03 AM

Regarding Hall- I note that above poster does not dispute mnay comments regarding - industry, frieght station, logistic firms, autobahn and train lines proximity etc. about Hall.
These are facts
With so many other nicer places to stay in the Tirol area that can provide a much nicer atmosphere and overall experience - Hall would be low on my list of favorites-
This comment by one with many friends and family in the overall area - long periods of living and visiting there.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 05:35 AM

Hi molker,

You are welcome to your opinions. As I posted earlier, I've never come across/seen your description of Hall in Tirol. Yes, there is a highway nearby and train tracks. That simply makes it a convenient place from which to visit other places. The rest of your description... I've never encountered what you describe. I certainly wouldn't travel all the way to Austria from the U.S. to visit and stay in an industrial/logistics/freight center, and not just once, but 4 times. We were there as recently as November 2010 for the Advent/Christmas markets.

You do all readers a disservice by making it sound like an industrial wasteland. Hall in Tirol is a charming old town with the Gasthof Badl being an excellent place to stay in the Innsbruck area. Hall in Tirol is high on our list of favorites.

I'm not alone here either:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rian_Alps.html

Paul
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM

Original poster wants " stunning scenery "

one must admit overall Hall is not at the top of the list in that area - yes a nice old town center - but

The A-12 autobahn - just south of the Inn River and also the Badl-
very heavy traffic-

does it have high sound barrier walls ?
certainly these are not for stopping blowing snow -

South of Innbruckerstrasser ( # 171 ) and north of Obere Land and the Inn River - the large rail yards not just long but 15- 20 tracks wide - this just west of # 171 A if I remember correctly -

along Innsbruckerstrasse a main street in the town toward Innsbruck - commercial and industrial centers , logistics and industrial zone -

These are facts not fantasy - these not easily missed
Then consider nice villages near by to Innsbruck with so much to offer. nice atmosphere great views and activities available - convenient to transport too.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Molker seems to have a case on for Hall-in-Tirol. I never saw the rail yard in three visits but just went on Google maps and sure enough, there it is. You really have to go out of your way to find it.

Of course there are more scenic places in the Alps, if you have a car and drive up there. Hall is in the valley but a bit elevated from the river. Here is the view from my room, http://tinyurl.com/3u9c42b. There are much better views from other parts of town.

The A-12 is across the river and so far away from the center of town that you don't know it is there except when coming and going. You can't see or hear it from the center.

Also across the river and a little toward Innsbruck is the Swarovski Crystal factory. I've never been there and don't know if they welcome visitors or not.

In addition to the tram from Innsbruck there is also bus service which stops closer to the center. There are some steep streets in Hall. On the bus you'll see the commercial and industrial centers, but you're not getting off there.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 02:17 PM

I have no case against Hall- but just wish to advise potential visitors of the true situation - it is not all as it is portrayed here .
As I have mentioned - much better , nicer more scenic places in Tyrol.

A rail yard as big as it is - about impossible to miss - not out of town but directly in it.
no need to google - but google does show the size of this major center. -or just look from the route 171 A.or side streets.
At least above poster advises of commercial and industrial centers in Hall- as mentioned before enough other good places to choose for a portion of your vacation without such things and just nice quiet living in fine scenery, green forests , cows grazing

Swarovski is not in Hall - rather in Wattens - this not in the direction of Innsbruck as mentioned above but rather some distance to the east along the A-12 .
I am surprised after 3 visits someone would not know this and also know that no factory tour exists but rather the well known Swarovski Kristallwelten ( Kristal World ) exhibit has existed for many years - is written up in most all travel and guides for the area .
This includes a shop to buy the various production items.

Perhaps visitors do not know of the massive protests that have occured in the past along these sections of the Autobahn adjacent to Hall and elsewhere that affect portions of the Inn Valley including Hall. Noise and air pollution - remember this is a relatively narrow valley .

These have included anti truck protests - due to noise and pollution - This roadway one of the most heavily traveled truck routes.
Enough to cause various Nachtfahrverbot ( night travel restrictions )by the area authorities.
restrictions on type of materials to be carried - protests all the way to the EU.
Also huge protests by local folk( including closing of the roadway for extended periods ) due to the toxic emissions by traffic from the autobahn both from autos and trucks.
The area now has a dynamic speed limit system to help curb these harmful emissions-an unhappy compromise.
Thus, those living in the area see the harmful pollution and hear the noise- enough for the big protests for relief.

Travelers are mostly unaware of these troubles -
just facts for tourists to reflect upon.

Some may lke this place - for me - I would rather be elsewhere .
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM

I really don't want to keep this going, but... during our stays we've heard no highway noise, a short commuter train would pass every now and then, again little to no noise, and the walk from the Badl to the old town was pleasant. While there are many idyllic places to stay in the Tirol, Hall in Tirol makes for a nice stay for visitors. Especially with the easy train and bus service to other towns and villages. We look forward to staying again in the future.
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Molker & pja1 for the insights and info. Can someone recommend budget place of stay with great views and within walking distance of the Seefeld train station. I have visited the site but unable to figure out the activities to do for our stay of approx 3-4 nights. We are not into hiking but like mountain excursions etc.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

OK one more query for Molker - in Tyrol between Seefeld, Mayrhofen and Ehrwald which would you recommend and why? Do not want anything touristy.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 12:16 AM

SKPKCP11 - all three are touristy. And I would not think Seefeld is exactly a budget place. It's quite the opposite, a rather upscale resort. Lots of 4star (and even 5star) hotels, restaurant prices matching this. IMO Seefeld is not exactly the most scenic place either - but you asked for "on a rail line", so you must make concessions.

I suggest you look into the Stubai valley. www.stubaital.at Still quite authentic (although of course somewhat touristy), but more scenic than Seefeld IMO. Fulpmes e.g. is a nice little town which also has less pricey accommodation. There is bus and tram service to Innsbruck from Fulpmes.

I.
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo for more clarity. After Seefeld or any other stop in Tirol region, we will be stopping over for 3 nights in Garmisch as we did enjoy the place a lot last year. Do you think then we should just skip Seefeld altogether as I certainly do not want something which is catering to top class and pricey.
Currently I am looking at St. Wolfgang (3 nights), Zell Am See (4 nights) and we thought we could stay in a nice scenic village before moving to Garmish.

We decided on St. Wolfgang as Salzburg is an expensive place to stay and SW would make travel easy to Ice Caves etc.

We decided on Zell Am See because we want to do Krimml waterfalls and Grossglockner as a day trip.

Any recommendations from your side are welcome as we are budget conscious people but we certainly do not want to starve and we can do with simple and comfortable B&B no swimming pool etc. is required. Though a play area for the kids would be nice.

Fodorites your suggestions are really good. Kindly advise as I am really confused.

Kind regards,
SKPKCP11
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 07:53 AM

As with most resorts you can find accomodations in all price ranges - certainly Seefeld has all categories -

Hotel Central - in the very center of the village - apaprtments from 50 - 55 suro per night - rooms with half board - discounts for kids - not wha t I would consider expensive.

www.central-seefeld.at

play area for kids

many pensions in that area too-
an example Landhaus Egger -

www.landhaus-egger.at

nice rooms breakfast -

many good restaurants of all price ranges -
often east by the Hotel Diana restaurant - outdoor tables in good weather- winter garden moderate prices.

Seefeld with beautiful scenery - lift system to the Rosshutte area - with dining high up- sun terraces - easy walking - nice lakes in the area - train station in a good location for travelers.

Several good supermarkets and meat shops allow you to buy the makings for fine picnics and more - not just saves much money - but adds to the fun with a family to make a good picnic in the fine surroundings.

look at the photos on the website to determine the scenery value

www.seefeld.at

good base for exploring the region - train to Innsbruck in southerly direction - northward to Mittenwald and Garmisch-

But you must decide on your priorities -

You must decide

Re the question of towns

Mayrhofen is a very nice place scenic views - mountains - varied accomodations - but realize that the town is well in a relatively long valley just one one in as the other end blocked by mountains - unless you plan extensive climbing.

- it does not make the best base if your major reason to visit is not to be in the mountains but rather tour.

Ehrwald is good if you plan on days by the Zugspitze - but it does not have the best public transport connections - Garmisch is on the other side of the Zugspitze -
takes some time and transfers to get most places.

Of the 3 you ask about Seefeld offers better location - transport and varied activities -
but if staying in Garmisch is in your plan - perhaps not the best - you already know Garmisch and its offerings .
If Garmisch is thought of as a base to explore King Ludwig castles etc.

Fussen a better choice to me ..

Realize also that a perfect " non touristy " village , scenic with great transport connections near sightseeing ceased to exist some time ago.

One casn still find nice villages off the normal tourist routes - but they are find for those living there - but lack the amenities most all tourists require.
Villages depend on tourist income summer and winter -they customize facilities to attract business -
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Hi,
If you're staying 3 nights in Garmisch after you visit "unamed/to be determined place in Tirol", I just wanted to say that Seefeld and Mittenwald can be done as a day trip from Garmisch. They're close by. We happen to love the Zillertal and it's stunning alpine scenery. realize that Mayrhofen is not a village. It's a nice enough town. IF there's enough to occupy you for 3 nights/2 full days, I like Mayrhofen and the Zillertal out of your 3.

www.zillertal.at/en/summer/home/

By the way, we also love Zell am See.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -