Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Malta or Gozo in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/malta-or-gozo-in-june-747348/)

Gabi7 Nov 8th, 2007 06:05 AM

Malta or Gozo in June

My husband and I are planning on renting a villa in June and would appreciate feedback from anyone who has visited Malta. We love the sound of Gozo with its farmhouse rentals and are interested in knowing if there's much going on in the island to do. We're not looking for anything wild and crazy but some nice restaurants, night life and daytime activites.
I believe the public transportation around the island and around Malta are good so wondering if we should rent a car (can you take one on a ferry?) or if we will be able to see all the wonders of the region without one. We're planning on being there for about 10 - 14 days.

I'd appreciate any tips anyone can offer since it has been many years since I was in Malta and have very hazy (but lovely) memories.

Thanks.

Skoop2 Nov 8th, 2007 06:49 AM

Hi
I went to both in March a few years ago-Gozo is absolutely gorgeous, very pastoral and rural. I'm sure you won't find much to do other than strolling and soaking up the scenery and sun. The ruins are wonderful to visit. However I would think it would be tough to fill 10 days there without getting bored unless you're REALLY into quiet de-stressing. You could easily do both islands in a 10-day trip-the ferry to Gozo is a great experience and you can take your car over on it. We had a car and really enjoyed it. We did not explore any beaches since it was cold that time of eyar, but having a car would make that an easy option.

Gabi7 Nov 10th, 2007 05:54 AM

Thank you for your guidance. Based on this information, we've decided to look for places to stay in Malta instead of Gozo.
Does anyone know of a good villa rental in Malta? And what area would be best to stay in if we want peace and quiet as well as a little daytime and nighttime activities?

melodyt13 Nov 21st, 2007 10:07 AM

I stayed in a fabulous villa this summer called villa phantasia rented by Richard Zammit, the owner.. It's in Swieqqi, a residential area with gorgeous homes just a few minutes from the lively St. Julian's area... Best trip I ever took

KayF Nov 21st, 2007 11:28 AM

I would also suggest splitting your time between Malta and Gozo. We had roughly a week each on Malta and Gozo and really enjoyed our trip there (if you click on my name our trip report should come up).

We found the buses easy to use in Malta, reliable and cheap. We had no trouble getting where we wanted to go and explored quite a bit. We stayed in Valletta which we loved and that was convenient for transport as most (all?) buses start and finish in Valletta. That might not be so convenient if you are staying somewhere else as you'd have to go into Valletta first, then back out to your destination.

On Gozo we had a jeep which my husband loved. The buses didn't seem quite so regular and Gozo is much quieter so driving there was easier than on Malta. You can take cars on the Gozo ferry. I would say there is a lot more to do on Malta than Gozo but both are nice.

We booked our car on Gozo with www.mayjo.com.mt/eng/ and they were excellent, we ended up also booking a transfer with them all the way from the ferry terminal on Malta to the airport and it worked really well. They were really friendly and helpful to deal with.

Hope this helps.
Kay

Rhea58 Nov 21st, 2007 11:54 AM

Kay has give some sage advice.
I, too, stayed in Valletta & used
their antique buses to get about.

After a few days there we went
to Gozo and spent 2 or 3 days there
which sufficed as there is not as
much to do there. However, it
is very bucolic.

Food note: National dish is rabbit