Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Malta, January 2016, too wet in UK where to go (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/malta-january-2016-too-wet-in-uk-where-to-go-1083929/)

bilboburgler Jan 14th, 2016 10:53 AM

Malta, January 2016, too wet in UK where to go

It seems to have rained for 8 weeks in my village. I want to go somewhere warm and for £100 I can get to Malta (self catering) for 10 days.

Where is the best place in January to be based?

What is there to do?

Hugs

hetismij2 Jan 14th, 2016 11:45 AM

Have you looked at the weather forecast for Malta? Rain every day from next week. Slightly warmer rain (14c) but still rain.

Rent a car, buy map and a guide book, and write a trip report when you get home.

Above all enjooy it, no matter what the weather.

bilboburgler Jan 14th, 2016 12:35 PM

thanks hetis, library empty, I'll have to check the charity shops :-)

Rubicund Jan 15th, 2016 01:56 AM

bilbo, the resorts across the bay from Valletta are the ones to head for, Sliema, St Julians or St Paul's at the top of that coast. Lots of restaurants, hotel choice and a lot quieter than in summer.

I personally don't like Malta and I'd be fascinated to hear your view when you get back.

bilboburgler Jan 15th, 2016 06:30 AM

thanks Rubicund, all i want is a warm beach to run along, access to a gym, a good restaurant and wifi so I can watch the markets collapse.

Rubicund Jan 15th, 2016 08:19 AM

Madeira would give you all of those, but probably not for £100 from LBA!

bilboburgler Jan 15th, 2016 08:22 AM

i wanted to save Madeira for being 75+

stevelyon Jan 15th, 2016 09:07 AM

What is it about Malta that I don't want to go there?

Not every ones choice but we risked Gambia and loved it. Same travelling time as to Greece (well slightly longer}. In the 30s and the bird watching is amazing and as cheap as chips. You just have to keep your wits about you as some of the locals are over-friendly bordering on aggressive/intimidating. If you don't want to run the gauntlet you can find and stay around nice hotels. We will go back in a flash - possibly this Feb/March.

Rubicund Jan 15th, 2016 10:16 AM

Bilbo, no it's not like that. It's not Eastbourne you know. It's got good hotels and restaurants, lots of good walking too. Great weather year round.

hetismij2 Jan 15th, 2016 10:29 AM

If you aren't fixed on Malta, then look at La Palma or la Gomera in the Canaries, the quieter, greener islands.

I still hope you decide on Malta and report back. It seems to be a Marmite sort of a country.

Not sure I would go to Gambia nowadays. having just declared itself an Islamic country, and with a dodgy president, I don't think I would be desperate enough for winter sun to go there.

Whathello Jan 15th, 2016 11:43 AM

Good friend of ours comes back from Marrakesh - loved it - nice weather, was in december, nice people, great food, etc.

No tourists, hotel was making an incredible rebate.

isabel Jan 15th, 2016 12:52 PM

I personally really liked Malta but I was there in July (no measurable rain for the last 100 Julys, so they said). Gorgeous weather. Sorry to rub that in.

But weather aside, as a place to go Malta would give you some place different and it is surrounded by beach/ocean. I personally was very glad I didn't stay in Sliema, St Julians or St Paul's.

Valletta was a beautiful place. And lots more to see/do if it is raining.

Here's my trip report - I really liked the hotel I stayed at.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ta-in-july.cfm

bilboburgler Jan 16th, 2016 02:02 AM

Thanks isabel, well thanks everyone

I've done a fair bit of the Canaries and Morocco over the years and also a fair few Greek islands and Cyprus.

Still to do Sicilia. I was in Libya a few years back, Egypt, Tunisia etc.

Madeira, sure, just my humour.

sheila Jan 16th, 2016 05:23 AM

Tenerife, Crete or Cyprus for warm in January. (I know, I've done this myself before)

stevelyon Jan 16th, 2016 05:32 AM

Is Crete and Cyprus warm in January? Must look into it. Even the Canaries are rather cool (certainly at night) in January. Is Marrakesh safe?

Ozarksbill Jan 16th, 2016 07:16 AM

You never know. I remember a European tour when it rained in Florence and was warm and sunny in London. Many Brits sunbathing in park near Parliament. This was in the summer.

bilboburgler Jan 16th, 2016 07:44 AM

Marrakesh is very safe, though I got a tummy bug there once ( i no longer eat meat south of Calais :-) ), it is called the city of roses because around the walls are rose bushes that flower all the year around

sheila Jan 17th, 2016 05:04 AM

Crete and Cyprus are as warm as you're going to get in january in Europe ( not counting the Canaries). Short sleeves daytime- jackets/ cardis at night