5 Days in Bonnie Scotland!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all of you "experts" on Scotland! My husband and I (Minnesotans) are going to be 5 days in Scotland arriving in Glascow on June 29 (Friday) at 10:30 in the morning. On Tuesday late afternoon we will be flying to Sweden to visit relatives flying out of Edinburgh. We would like to see 1 Distillery (my husband likes Scotch), 1 castle, many sheep, great scenery, small quaint villages, a little shopping, and great pubs off the beaten track. If you were us how would you plan our itinerary...We can't wait to hear your reponses!!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:14 AM

With only 5 days:
I would spend the first day in Glasgow
and end the trip with 2 days in Edinburgh.
That would leave some time (3days) to explore the Trossachs area between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
It is very "farm" ish, with rolling hills and lovely lakes.
Callander & Aberfoyle were cute (but really, really small) towns....and the Forth Inn in Aberfoyle was a nice pub with great food!!
I would recommend visiting the Ichamome Priory - which is a set of ruins out on an island in a lake. It requires a short boat ride to get there, but it is really picturesque and interesting.
I would definetly see Stirling and Stirling Castle on the way to Edinburgh.
While in Edinburgh - the Waverly Pub was so cool (I think it was on Queen Street). No food, lowly lit, uncomfortable seating, but there was an old-man bartender wearing a suit and the biggest group of friendly locals we found in any pub we visited.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/ your short time you really couldn't do much better than steviegene's suggestion.

1 day/night in Glasgow for some sightseeing and to get over the jet lag.

Sat morning pick up a rental car and drive up along Loch Lomond and then over toward Callander. Stay anywhere in that area Sat/Sun nights. See Inchmahome Priory, some lovely scenery including maybe a steamboat ride on Loch Katrine, visit Doune castle (an interesting ruin) and Stirling castles). Early Monday morning drive the short distance to Edinburgh airport, drop off your rental car and take public transit into the city center. Then have the rest of the day and Tuesday morning to see a bit of Edinburgh and take the bus back out to EDI to catch your flight.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Very , Very helpful...Whhat if we were to pick up a train leaving Glascow (maybe it would have to be Edinburgh)and go up to Inverness. Is it the Caledonian?? then rent a car and make our way down to Edinburgh. I have already booked a double at the 2 Cambridge Street for July 2, Monday. Just a thought. Now I need yours....
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM

2 Cambridge Street was wonderful!
We loved it!

I dont think I would go all the way up to Iverness with only 2 days of travel time. I feel like you would spend too much time in transit between locations.
We had 8 days on our trip in Scotland, and due mainly to advice from people on this board we skipped Iverness entirely, with no regrets.

There is plenty to see and do in the Trossachs area to keep you busy and enchanted by Scotland. There is plenty of scenery, beautiful waterfalls, mysterious ruins, lakes, etc. If you went all the way up to Inverness - you are basically killing your two days of sightseeing - with travelling. You will spend your entire time in the train/car.

If you really wanted to drive north, maybe you could go up and do the drive through GlenCoe (which was spectacular). But this would still be a lot of time spent driving....and you should really ask janisj about this - because she has a huge amount of knowledge in this area.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
For what you say you want to see/do - the Trossachs and that general area has a lot more to offer than Inverness. I'ness itself is just a busy commercial center - and Loch Ness isn't all that pretty.

You certainly <i>could</i> make it up to Glencoe - Drive from Glasgow up along Loch Lomond and on to Glencoe (I would not go any farther north) then back southeast to near Callander. But that would mean mainly a lot of car time and not much &quot;seeing&quot; time.

But you need to realize Scotland is a big place and you only have a very short time. And add the problem that the main road up through Glencoe/Ft William/Inverness will be busy and full of tour buses on a summer weekend.

I would stay south and limit myself to Glasgow/Trossachs/Stirling/Edinburgh
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Thinking further on the logistics of this....
if you do go up to GlenCoe - you basically rob yourself of any time in Stirling.
And Stirling (and the castle) is lovely.

You really wont be dissapointed with driving around the Trossachs region...and you will get to really explore it - and not spend your entire holiday in the car.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

I agree! We didn't want to see Inverness, (I've been reading alot on here) but just wanted it use it as a jumping off point on the way down...cutting out drive time, gas, etc. But your response makes so much sense. Then we will be more relaxed. Any advice on where to go and eat the first day in Glasscow? Great place to stay overnight??? Thanks for all of your help! This is so much better than reading through the dry tour guide books....
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Any of these itineraries is fine, but I'll give you an alternative. Book a car right away. Book somewhere to stay in Helensburgh drive over there- big roads as far as Dumbarton and not hard to get to. Assume 12.30 arrival. Take a couple of hours' kip. Take the train into Glasgow and shop in the Buchanan Galleries and Princes Square, and wander abot a bit and have an early (by UK standards) supper at Rogano. Then take the train back out.

Saturday drive up the west ide of Loch Lomond, stop at the Drovers Inn at Inverarnan for lunch. Then carry on to Crianlarich and turn east. Stop at Killin at the top of Loch Tay. Drive over the shoulder of Ben Lawers to Glen Lyon and down the glen to Weem and stay in the Ailean Craggan. Eat there.

Sunday, visit Aberfeldy, and shop a little, then drive east to Pitlochry. Visit Edradour distillery. Go south to Dunkeld and have lunch in the Taybank. Then go south to Perth and visit Huntingtower Castle. Stay in the Bein Inn in Glenfarg.

Next day dtive earlyish to Edinburgh; have klunch in the Cramond Inn. Return your car. Spend the afternoon and evening and next day seeing some of Edinburgh. Go to the Cafe Royal. Go to Sweden
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

I couldn't sleep so here I am replying at an early hour. I think I'm hooked on this site now. Sheila. What an interesting itenerary you've come up with. We love the idea of visiting the distillery in Pitlochry. That was one of our favorites when we were reviewing all of them.
This way too, we can experience riding on a train in Scotland even tho our stay is short. Will we still see lots of sheep? It's the little things in life you know.... Again, thanks for all of your input...
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Da! I finally realized my spelling of Glasgow is atrocious! Sorry if I offended anyone!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM

bm
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:31 AM

I think I can pretty much guarantee the sheep
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:57 AM

Approx. human population of Scotland: 5 million
Approx. sheep population of Scotland: 7.5 million

So I'd say your chances are pretty high.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:57 AM

The Edradour is a great distillery to visit. Billed as the smallest distillery in Scotland, and very pretty the way it nesltes into the hill. Pitlochry is an attractive town, if a bit tourist-filled.