Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   malpensa to milan by free bus?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/malpensa-to-milan-by-free-bus-511800/)

rh28rh Mar 12th, 2005 11:58 AM

malpensa to milan by free bus??

in the frommer's italy 2004 book page492 it is stated that "alitalia passengers ride the malpensa express(bus)free" when I called alitalia, which is the airline I will be arriving, the agent did not know. does anyone have this information? if yes, can you give me some details. I will be traveling next week. thanks a lot.

LoveItaly Mar 12th, 2005 12:21 PM

To my knowledge there is not a free shuttle bus ride from Milpensa to the Central Train Station in Milan.

I suppose there could be a discount for the shuttle bus if you show an Alitalia flight ticket, but I have never heard of that either.

Have you gone to the Alitalia website to see if they give any information regarding this?

Have a fun time in Italy!

Jean Mar 12th, 2005 04:34 PM

A few years ago, Alitalia passengers could ride the Malpensa express train (not bus) to Milan (Nord station) for free. I don't know if that's still the case. If your agent doesn't know the answer, have him/her call the airline or, better yet, call Alitalia yourself and ask them.

LoveItaly Mar 12th, 2005 04:53 PM

But the train does not go to the Central Train Station in Milan.

Maybe that does not matter to rh28rh, but it is important to know there is more then one train station in Milan.

And 4h28rh said Frommer's book said the express bus, not the train.

And rh28rh said he called Alitalia, the the Alitalia agent did not know.

IMHO I think Frommer's make a mistake in their guide book - it happens.

In anycase, the shuttle bus from Milpensa does not cost that much so rh28rh I would check this out when you arrive at Milpensa but I wouldn't worry about it. Have a fun trip!

lincasanova Mar 12th, 2005 05:03 PM

it is probably just old info.
air france used to have FREE transport between orly/cdgfor AF connecting passengers, as did BA between GATWICK/LHR.. but no more. both these freebies have been eliminated.

Jean Mar 12th, 2005 05:44 PM

Further to LoveItaly's comment: Yes, the Malpensa express train goes to Nord station, not Centrale. And if it's not free to Alitalia passengers, it is inexpensive. Lastly, the train is not subject to the vagaries of Milan traffic. The bus to Centrale is convenient, but I find the train more reliable and more comfortable.

I misread rh28rh's original posting about speaking with an Alitalia agent (as opposed to a travel agent). Nevertheless, I'd still call Alitalia again and ask to speak to a supervisor. If all else fails and you have a hotel reservation in Milan, e-mail or FAX the hotel and ask them. We first heard about the free service from a taxi driver who didn't speak English. We confirmed it with our hotel.

LoveItaly Mar 12th, 2005 07:02 PM

Hi rh28rh, Jean has a good thought regarding asking your hotel. Also, does the Alitalia website have an email address where you could send in this question?

I have sometimes in the past when talking to an Alitalia rep. noticed there command of English is not 100% correct, although it is sure a lot better, believe me, then my Italian.

You will have to let us know what you discover. Good luck with your venture.