Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Malpensa to Lugano Bus: What's the Deal with Reservations?

Mar 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

I need to get from Milan Malpensa (terminal 1) to Lugano in about a week. I went on the starbus website http://www.starbus.info/pagina_orari.php
and there is a schedule of all of the bus departures from Malpensa to Lugano. But it says a reservation is required. So I made my reservation for about an hour and a half after my scheduled arrival and printed out my confirmation. But what if my flight is delayed and they won't let me on any other bus?! Or are they just SAYING a reservation is required and then (as is the case with many things) the bus is only half full and they never even ask you for it? I considered making reservations for the previous bus (in case we get through customs quickly) and a later one, just to be safe. But that doesn't seem ethical. Who has the inside information on this? Molto grazie...
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM

As far as I can tell, reservations are required for the limousine service only. I suggest that you send them an e-mail at [email protected] to explain that your reservation is for the bus and not for a limousine, unless you want to see yourself stuck with a huge bill for a private limousine.
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

I don't think that's right, Eloise. My reservation confirmation points out that Alitalia travelers only pay 15 swiss francs. And all of the departures were for the times the busses leave. Plus, they can't charge me without my credit card number, which the reservation did not require.

It's reminding me of my opera dilemma all over again!
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM

Ooops - sorry! My mistake! I just noticed the "prenotazione obbligatoria" in tiny letters below the bus schedule.
Mar 11th, 2006, 07:30 PM

It may be that no bus at all comes if no one makes a reservation. Or a minibus comes instead of a coach if there is only one person who has reserved.

If your flight is delayed, I guess you'll have to reserve again at the airport -- just like you would if you had bought a train ticket in advance. But maybe not. If your flight is delayed, I wouldn't worry about not getting a seat on the next bus to Lugano from Malpensa. Just go to the information booth inside the airport and ask how to proceed.

Buon viaggi.

Mar 12th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I wonder if anyone has actually taken this bus...
Nov 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM

I am interested in the same bus this Saturday. Does anyone have recent info on Star Bus from Milan to Lugano. I did make the on-line reservation, and I am awaiting a confirmation.
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I took it last February. It was a "pullman", a fairly large minibus. Mine was at 11:05 or so AM. Made reservations. Produced the confirmation to the driver. There was only one other woman on it. The ride was very comfortable and uneventful. Stopped on the Swiss boarder. Passport check. Arrives at the train station in Lugano, great view. I am pretty sure they run every hour. I would be very surprised if you had any problem getting on the next or the following one this time of the year.

-e
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Thanks, much appreciated.
Nov 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM